Broncos sign Melvin Gordon

jsthomp2007

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Yeah.  He’s a good player.  I read something from Klis about how Denver wants to run the ball and that’s why they added Gordon/Glasgow.  Interestingly I’m pretty sure Gordon/Glasgow both do their best work in the passing game and Shurmur (not that he can’t field a terrific running game) is about spreading teams out and throwing the ball.  Denver tried getting a receiving back last year with Riddick, this year they went out and added Gordon who isn’t only a receiving back and offers a broader skill set. 

I think it's an awesome signing I'd still love to get rid of royce and go rb round 4 if the right guy falls

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Montee looked damn solid as a rookie. I think the alcoholism had him spiraling by 2014. But he and Freeman kinda fit similar molds as players.

Absolutely I loved Montee in college though can't hate that pick not like Lacy did much better with his eating disorder

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Montee looked damn solid as a rookie. I think the alcoholism had him spiraling by 2014. But he and Freeman kinda fit similar molds as players.

Man, that's a very unfair comparison, leads people to believe Freeman has alcohol issues too......he had a sub-par year for sure, but soph slumps happen.

Edited by Cutler06

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s a scouting failure for different reasons though. Ball was admittedly getting blackout drunk 4-5 nights a week at Wisconsin. That’s something your scouts need to find out about. 

Oh for sure.  I remember reading an article after or during his rookie year where a coach could smell alcohol on him during and early morning team meeting and pulled him aside and told him to either choose football or booze and he chose booze.  He had a severe problem, seems like he’s cleaned up of late so good for him.

I can’t even remember the team Denver was playing, but he made a run to the 2nd level and spin move to bust it for more chunk yards his rookie year that I’ll never forget.  

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

$13M guaranteed is a damn solid deal.  

$13 million guaranteed for a RB with 1 single 1k yard rushing season in 5 years when you have a guy on your roster with 2 straight 1k yard seasons making $700k.....

The talent gap between Gordon and Freeman is NOT $13 million guaranteed.

Gordon also only averaged over 4 YPC once in his career. Lindsay is averaging 4.9 YPC in 2 years. Gordon is not elite. His stats are a biproduct of attempts, not talent.

This is a bad signing no way around it and you risked pissing off your hometown hero in the process. Your paying top dollar for a guy who is marginally better than your current backup RB who is making $1 million dollars per year.......1 million compared to Gordon at 8 million.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

It will all be interesting on how the Gordon, Linsday, Freeman gets used. Along with any new receiving targets that Lock gets. Which will obviously come through the draft. I'm still holding out that Hamilton has the talent to be a good number three receiver. But the Gordon signing simply tells me that the Broncos are dedicated to putting more weapons around Lock. 

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

$13 million guaranteed for a RB with 1 single 1k yard rushing season in 5 years when you have a guy on your roster with 2 straight 1k yard seasons making $700k.....

The talent gap between Gordon and Freeman is NOT $13 million guaranteed.

Gordon also only averaged over 4 YPC once in his career. Lindsay is averaging 4.9 YPC in 2 years. Gordon is not elite. His stats are a biproduct of attempts, not talent.

This is a bad signing no way around it and you risked pissing off your hometown hero in the process. Your paying top dollar for a guy who is marginally better than your current backup RB who is making $1 million dollars per year.......1 million compared to Gordon at 8 million.

You like others are only looking at Gordon from a rushing standpoint.

Gordon is an accomplished receiver out of the backfield, Devontae Booker has been Denver’s best receiving back over the last few years which is laughable in today’s NFL.  Gordon’s also one of the best RBs in the NFL at getting in the end zone.  Both of these areas were of concern in Denver’s offense for numerous years.

Pat Shurmur also heavily utilizes RBs in the passing game (and we should be happy about this as the best offenses in the NFL do this) which is something Denver hasn’t done in years and a large part of that probably had to do with Booker being the best man for the job.

Yes, he only rushes for 3.9 yards a carry, but he also can catch 50+ balls in a season and averages 12 TDs a year over the last 4 seasons.  Both fill major holes in Denver’s offense.  

I am also not worried about if this hurt Lindsay’s feelings.  Elway should not be walking on eggshells trying to keep Lindsay happy, he’s not Christian McCaffrey or Saquon Barkley for goodness sake. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

You like others are only looking at Gordon from a rushing standpoint.

Gordon is an accomplished receiver out of the backfield, Devontae Booker has been Denver’s best receiving back over the last few years which is laughable in today’s NFL.  Gordon’s also one of the best RBs in the NFL at getting in the end zone.  Both of these areas were of concern in Denver’s offense for numerous years.

Pat Shurmur also heavily utilizes RBs in the passing game (and we should be happy about this as the best offenses in the NFL do this) which is something Denver hasn’t done in years and a large part of that probably had to do with Booker being the best man for the job.

Yes, he only rushes for 3.9 yards a carry, but he also can catch 50+ balls in a season and averages 12 TDs a year over the last 4 seasons.  Both fill major holes in Denver’s offense.  

I am also not worried about if this hurt Lindsay’s feelings.  Elway should not be walking on eggshells trying to keep Lindsay happy, he’s not Christian McCaffrey or Saquon Barkley for goodness sake. 

My thing is that if the Broncos were looking for a really good pass catching back to compliment Lindsay there are other options out there that didnt require them to spend premium money. 

Deandre Washington for example, or Chris Thompson or Lamar Miller or Bilal Powell or Buck Allen or Corey Clement or Wendell Smallwood. ALL of those guys could have been had for essentially nothing but we chose to blow 8+ million of cap space per year on Gordon which could have been used to lock up another starting caliber player at a bigger position of need. Like Derek Wolfe...

So we could have gotten Lamar Miller and Derek Wolfe for the same price we paid Gordon to be a time share RB.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2