Broncos sign Melvin Gordon

jsthomp2007

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The problem is this - this draft class has literally about 6-7 guys who could let Lindsay be the Batman, and they be the Robin - and potentially be better than Lindsay has been.   And when you see 6-7 guys like that, there are 3-4 guys who we're likely missing.   So the opportunity to mine a 3+ year starter-level RB at rookie wage prices from Rd3-4 is literally one of the market inefficiencies we can exploit.    And unlike other years, we don't have to spend a Rd2 pick to get a guy who normally goes in the top tier of talent - because the top-end talent is that rich.    Fundamentally, it's not just about the 8M - it's about the replaceability of the position, and in this year's draft, the lost opportunity cost.     

If this was a team that was a RB away from putting it over the top...sure, I can see it.   But we're not.   Lock's given us way more hope than we've had since pre-PFM for a young QB.   And the core is getting better.  But this wasn't a fortune-changing move, it was a win-now 2020 move.   Which is laudable in some respects - but the win-now moves the past 2 years have been the ones that have generally backfired the most, though I will grant Kareem Jackson signing at age 29 is the one shining exception, and we all hope the no-risk trade for Jurrell Casey is as well.  But those positions are almost impossible to replace with a Day 2 rookie pick - where RB this year, it's literally one of the best around (we're also spoiled by the 2017 RB draft class, but 2020 shapes up to be in that range).  

Don't get me wrong, MG3 is a good player.   And he's a big upgrade in the pass catching game.   But he's actually not nearly as good of a vision/power runner as Lindsay (though he knows how to get the tough extra yards and get skinny to find the first down marker/EZ, which Lindsay has as well).    Still, there's no doubt MG3-Lindsay is a much better 1-2 punch.  It's just that a Lindsay-Rd3 RB offers the potential to be just as effective, or 90 percent - at a much, much lower cost, and 4 years of cheap cost control - which then allows us to spend on 2nd WR, CB, DL, etc.   It's just a horrible allocation of resources for our team make-up.

Thinking win-now even with teams iffy on the talent to get there, we all know it's been Elway's motto.  He's never willing to concede that the chances to be a true contender are small,and plan long-term over short-term since pre-PFM.   If he keeps drafting well on Day 2 for a 3rd straight year after his disaster 2013-7 run,  it's going to be completely justifiable very soon vs. the past 2 years, when it's been completely indefensible.   It's just that it's not as likely to be the key move here....and even if we go with the win-now scenario, RB allocation over CB/WR/DL....man, pretty iffy.

You're correct about RBs in the draft, and candidly, I think we may still select one fairly high, but I think this is one of those cases where Elway needs to balance the amount of youth on the offense. Sutton is not a rookie, but this will be his first year as THE guy. You have a young QB, young RBs, a young TE, some young guys on the OL, likely to draft young WRs, at some point, you need a veteran presence somewhere at a skill position. I think that thought process is flying under the radar a bit here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

You're correct about RBs in the draft, and candidly, I think we may still select one fairly high, but I think this is one of those cases where Elway needs to balance the amount of youth on the offense. Sutton is not a rookie, but this will be his first year as THE guy. You have a young QB, young RBs, a young TE, some young guys on the OL, likely to draft young WRs, at some point, you need a veteran presence somewhere at a skill position. I think that thought process is flying under the radar a bit here.

Yeah, if Elway still took a great RB at Rd3-4 with 4 picks in that range, a LOT of my objections with his signing would go away, given the impact rookies make usually is felt in year 2-4 for Day 2 picks (or later).   Then the objection becomes more about allocation of resources there and leaving CB/WR/DL unaddressed, and how much of an upgrade MG3 really represents if you make him the running bellcow over Lindsay (there's no argument on pass pro and receiving MG3 gives us something Lindsay hasn't matched, or come that close) - but it's a secondary concern for me.   The worst case scenario for me is where we don't leverage this incredible opportunity of high-ceiling RB talent likely available in Rd 3-4, and if that comes to pass, it will be totally due to Elway signing MG3.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, if Elway still took a great RB at Rd3-4 with 4 picks in that range, a LOT of my objections with his signing would go away, given the impact rookies make usually is felt in year 2-4 for Day 2 picks (or later).   Then the objection becomes more about allocation of resources there and leaving CB/WR/DL unaddressed, and how much of an upgrade MG3 really represents if you make him the running bellcow over Lindsay (there's no argument on pass pro and receiving MG3 gives us something Lindsay hasn't matched, or come that close) - but it's a secondary concern for me.   The worst case scenario for me is where we don't leverage this incredible opportunity of high-ceiling RB talent likely available in Rd 3-4, and if that comes to pass, it will be totally due to Elway signing MG3.  

The signing of Gordon has a lot more to do with protecting Lock and giving him weapons than it does about a RB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The signing of Gordon has a lot more to do with protecting Lock and giving him weapons than it does about a RB.

No objections to that advantage as a reason like I said he’s a clear upgrade in the pass pro and catch game - but the opportunity cost on allocating resources there and then also passing on RB Rd3-4 as a result are still the problems down the line.   If Elway still mines the RB elite talent pool in Rd 3-4 it really mitigates one of the major issues.