Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Man, this west coast wild fire and Covid happening at the same time is going to screw so many people over. Toxic air combined with a virus that attacks the respiratory system is just a receipt for an even worse disaster 😢

• Like 2

The size of the "antibody" is both a positive and a negative here, but the article pretty much just focuses on the pros. The standard monoclonal antibody that all of these types of drugs are tend to be have a mass of about 150 kDa (kilodalton, where 1 atom of Carbon is 12 daltons). So, big.

This is about 10% of that size, so 15 kDa. Your kidneys will naturally filter out all proteins less than ~30kDa, depending on the shape. What that means is unlike other mAbs, this will need to be dosed over and over, because it will be filtered out rapidly much more like a traditional small molecule drug. More dosing means more expense, and potentially more room for toxicity.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

7 hours ago, Xenos said:

Man, this west coast wild fire and Covid happening at the same time is going to screw so many people over. Toxic air combined with a virus that attacks the respiratory system is just a receipt for an even worse disaster 😢

As long as they aren't slowing down evacuations to maintain social distancing 

Our government where I am is stupid, we were in phase 2 for 2 weeks and then they jumped to phase 3 (final phase here). Now the numbers are going up and they are 'concerned' and discussion about closing down by region is coming up. I am okay with that because I am in one of the biggest infected areas, I'm good with no work for 2 weeks, bring it.

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

No doubt about it. 

Can't be outside, not supposed to be inside 

No sun, means no vitamin D, which is proven to reduce severe covid symptoms (mostly) 

I was supposed to get a covid test the other day, and the testing facility is outside. They had to cancel it because they couldn't have workers stand outside for hours in 300 AQI. So f*****

I was really struggling with this a few days ago. Was pretty miserable. More so than at any point since march. Was really freaking stuffy in my apartment. Bought some house plants for the oxygen. It helped, but today was FINALLY below 100 and even dropped below 50, so I was finally able to open my windows and even go on the first run in almost one month 

I feel like myself again 

Hopefully this keeps (it won't). Hopefully we get some rain in the next 1.5-2 months (we won't)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Honey Rider said:

Our government where I am is stupid, we were in phase 2 for 2 weeks and then they jumped to phase 3 (final phase here). Now the numbers are going up and they are 'concerned' and discussion about closing down by region is coming up. I am okay with that because I am in one of the biggest infected areas, I'm good with no work for 2 weeks, bring it.

tenor.gif?itemid=12111246

• Like 3

Just had my first interaction with an unhinged anti-masker, also a complete stranger, where I am the object of their outrage.

My attempts at de-escalating predictably failed as I raised my hands and said, “comrade, comrade, please!”

I got 20% off my shopping cart.  He got thrown out.

• Like 3