Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

36 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Really? It sounds like the schools around here want them tested for any symptoms and they can't come back until they get a negative

What the people above said.  Basically there won't be a reported positive case, because the school isn't asking for (or is entitled to) a positive case report.

Also, it's weird but in my wife's school system if you get tested, you have to have a doctor read the test report to confirm whether it says "detected" or "not detected".  Bc us commoners can't read that lol.  And no parent is going to take that time, bc it already takes 3-4 days to get the test result back.  Then schedule a doctor appt.  Or they can just keep their kid out for 10 days.

Easy choice.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

What the people above said.  Basically there won't be a reported positive case, because the school isn't asking for (or is entitled to) a positive case report.

Also, it's weird but in my wife's school system if you get tested, you have to have a doctor read the test report to confirm whether it says "detected" or "not detected".  Bc us commoners can't read that lol.  And no parent is going to take that time, bc it already takes 3-4 days to get the test result back.  Then schedule a doctor appt.  Or they can just keep their kid out for 10 days.

Easy choice.

Crazy. 

Do the siblings also have to stay home for 10 days?

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im familiar with HIPAA, I work within the industry. School are not a protected entity, so technically they have no right the information. However, they are required to report any known cases. This type of wording suggests they are purposely casting a blind eye and have a dont ask policy. They can't require parents give PHI, but they can ask. It's happened since the educational institution was established for things like the flu and mono. 

Personally, I'd like school to start testing students periodically. That would mean the school WOULD be a protected entity for that PHI and it would go a LONG way in keeping the faculty and student body safe. Otherwise, it is up to the parents to say whether or not their child had/has COVID-19. Like it or not, we can't trust that all parents, especially in a school as large as the one in question, are well informed enough to make that call. 

Asking before I put any thought into it:

How does this differ from requiring students to submit vaccination records? The local public schools require MMR and something else prior to enrollment.

19 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Asking before I put any thought into it:

How does this differ from requiring students to submit vaccination records? The local public schools require MMR and something else prior to enrollment.

This site has the info you are looking for:

https://compliancy-group.com/hipaa-vaccine-records-law-when-can-vaccine-records-be-disclosed/#:~:text=Under these requirements%2C children enrolled,vaccination records with public schools.

to cherry pick for you:

Under a separate provision of the Privacy Rule, a covered entity may disclose vaccine-related PHI to a school, about an individual who is a student or prospective student of the school, if:

◈ The protected health information that is disclosed is limited to proof of immunization;

◈ The school is required by state or other law to have such proof of immunization prior to admitting the individual; and

◈ The covered entity obtains and documents the agreement to the disclosure from either:

◆ A parent, guardian, or other person acting in loco parentis (in place of the parents) of the individual, if the individual is an unemancipated minor; or

◆ The individual, if the individual is an adult or emancipated minor.

So basically if the state requires it, its sort of an exception except that they still technically need agreement to disclose because they are a minor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

In Drewby's case, he hates everyone - Mods included. Especially me. But especially @Forge, @Jakuvious, @Deadpulse, @naptownskinsfan, @theJ, @The LBC, @TheKillerNacho, @bucsfan333, that New Philly mod that I can't remember right now, that other Philly mod who runs FFMD that I can't remember right now, @MrDrew...

He likes @fretgod99, though. 

Basically, he's Futureama's Santa Claus.

tenor.gif?itemid=10503158

We're all on his naughty list.

It's nice of you to make people think that I care enough to learn their names

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrDrew said:

It's nice of you to make people think that I care enough to learn their names

Well, that's what I'm here for. I can't forget these names... They haunt me. In the middle of the night, when nothing is making a sound...

The names. They're everywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Im familiar with HIPAA, I work within the industry. School are not a protected entity, so technically they have no right the information. However, they are required to report any known cases. This type of wording suggests they are purposely casting a blind eye and have a dont ask policy. They can't require parents give PHI, but they can ask. It's happened since the educational institution was established for things like the flu and mono. 

Personally, I'd like school to start testing students periodically. That would mean the school WOULD be a protected entity for that PHI and it would go a LONG way in keeping the faculty and student body safe. Otherwise, it is up to the parents to say whether or not their child had/has COVID-19. Like it or not, we can't trust that all parents, especially in a school as large as the one in question, are well informed enough to make that call. 

Oh, well my school is reporting the cases and alerting all parents of positive cases, just not which specific kids test positive.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Oh, well my school is reporting the cases and alerting all parents of positive cases, just not which specific kids test positive.

@Deadpulse I'm a bit confused. As long as the district is reporting the positive cases, then they're under compliance, and they are not legally allowed to say that "_____________ tested positive" to teachers/others per HIPPA. Are they not reporting positive cases at all?

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Deadpulse I'm a bit confused. As long as the district is reporting the positive cases, then they're under compliance, and they are not legally allowed to say that "_____________ tested positive" to teachers/others per HIPPA. Are they not reporting positive cases at all?

They arent even asking if it is a positive case.