Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Good thing the pandemic will be over in 2 weeks. I can reassure my wife, who I had to take to the ER yesterday for an IV, EKG, and blood tests after experiencing major symptoms from her positive test. She’s down 10 pounds in 60 hours.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Good thing the pandemic will be over in 2 weeks. I can reassure my wife, who I had to take to the ER yesterday for an IV, EKG, and blood tests after experiencing major symptoms from her positive test. She’s down 10 pounds in 60 hours.

Goodness, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm so sorry to read this. Really hoping for the best. No one deserves to go through this, especially those of us who are trying our best to slow the spread. Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed she gets better. F*** this virus!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Goodness, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this...

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I'm so sorry to read this. Really hoping for the best. No one deserves to go through this, especially those of us who are trying our best to slow the spread. Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed she gets better. F*** this virus!

It’s all good guys, thanks. A bit of a scare yesterday, but thankfully she’s doing better today. Looks like her fever broke late last night, so here is hoping!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

A lot of Illinois will be increasing restrictions starting Friday.  No indoor dining at restaurants, which at this point in the year essentially means no dining at restaurants.

Maryland just decreased some of their dining restrictions a few weeks ago.  I guess for you guys in Illinois there is certainly no outdoor dining, but here, some places that have the real estate set up tents with heaters.  In downtown Annapolis, some streets are closed in the evenings Thursday-Sunday to allow for folks to eat outside, and you've got these tents set out.  But winter will still set in, and I bet the restrictions go back up like they are in other places.  This is going to really hurt businesses, and I highly anticipate many more closing.  

Just take downtown Annapolis........there is no three-week boat show this year, which brings in huge business.  No home Naval Academy football games.  The midshipmen at the academy are barely getting leave, so they aren't patronizing any of the businesses.  Many of the offices are still at virtual or hybrid attendance, so the potential lunch crowds are still down.  It's this way around the country in many areas, and now we are going into a hard part of the year for sales in general after the holidays and cold weather hits.  We are definitely going to need another stimulus for small businesses.  

On 10/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, MWil23 said:

Imagine any other time in history:

Dan: Ugh! It's been 6 months!

John: Dan, it's a Siege, we've been over this; the Mongols are going to burn it to the ground and kill you if you go out there; that's how a siege works.

Dan: BUT my grain needs harvested!!!!!

@LETSGOBROWNIES

EiZygnUXsAATfuF.jpg:large

it sounds like this...

• Like 6

Here's an editorial in Nature about where we stand on vaccine development, re-infection, and mutation risks.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02943-9?utm_source=twt_nnc&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=naturenews

How likely is reinfection?

Another urgent question is whether a person who has recovered from COVID-19 is protected from future infection. August saw the first confirmed report of a person being reinfected after they had recovered from COVID-19; this was determined by sequencing of the viral strains responsible for the original and the second infections5. There have since been a handful of other confirmed cases of coronavirus reinfection6, although against a background of more than 40 million infections globally.

Vaccines: the questions that need answers

As the effort to develop vaccines gathers pace, key questions will need to be answered to ensure that they are safe and effective.

On the plus side, the virus doesn’t seem to be mutating fast — unlike, for example, the influenza virus. This means that SARS-CoV-2 probably won’t quickly mutate to evade a vaccine-induced response. At the same time, it is not yet known whether vaccine-induced immunity will be short- or long-lived, nor how effective a vaccine will be in older people, whose immune systems often respond less well to vaccination. If immunity is short-lived, then vaccinated populations will need regular boosters.

A host of logistical and supply-chain questions will take time to resolve, too. The administration of vaccines requires equipment such as vials and needles. In some countries, stocks might need to be kept in cold storage, and in many places, extra health workers will need to be recruited and trained. Then there is the question of which countries — and which groups within countries — should get priority access. Several organizations are working to resolve these questions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CBears019 said:

A lot of Illinois will be increasing restrictions starting Friday.  No indoor dining at restaurants, which at this point in the year essentially means no dining at restaurants.

We were planning to go camping this weekend in Mississippi Palisades State Park, but region 1 has a a rolling 7 day average positivity rate of 12% and getting worse. Those campgrounds have been filling up quickly so we decided to cancel. 

I told my son we could still put up the tent and camp in the backyard, but Illinois is definitely trending in the wrong direction after doing so well for most of this.

Not free:

The Finance 202: Economy won't bounce back until 2022 even with good vaccine rollout, new report finds

Even under a best-case scenario in the development of coronavirus vaccines, Americans will need to continue wearing masks, keeping distanced and avoiding crowds into the second half of next year. 

The view, part of a bracing new assessment by the Boston Consulting Group, indicates the country still has some of its most difficult work ahead of it to bring the pandemic to heel and resume the activity that will allow a full economic recovery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/10/21/finance-202-economy-wont-bounce-back-until-2022-even-with-good-vaccine-rollout-new-report-finds/

2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Free:

Unprecedented vaccine trials on track to begin delivering results

In anticipation of the data, independent advisers to the FDA meet Thursday to lay the groundwork for deciding whether specific vaccines are safe and effective.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/21/vaccine-progress-coronavirus/

Well this is good news.