Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/uk/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-uk-intl-hnk/index.html

"UK becomes first country to approve Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine, first shots roll out next week"

The MHRA is a very legitimate regulatory agency. Based on that approval, I don't see any rational argument against a healthy adult getting this vaccine today. Hopefully the polling continues to improve.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Fingers crossed that vaccines prevent transmission as well. 

I keep hearing this, and my Caveman brain is trying to figure this out. So, does this mean if someone has Covid, they can get this vaccine to "keep it in house" so to speak? 

I know this is an incredibly simple concept, and I should get it, but I'm not sure...

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I keep hearing this, and my Caveman brain is trying to figure this out. So, does this mean if someone has Covid, they can get this vaccine to "keep it in house" so to speak? 

I know this is an incredibly simple concept, and I should get it, but I'm not sure...

What we know so far is that the vaccines do a hell of a job preventing severe illness. We do not know how they effect transmission meaning if someone gets vaccinated and contracts the virus will they be able to give it to others as if they weren't vaccinated at all. Im hopeful it will have some impact on transmission due to the viral load likely being much less in those who have been vaccinated, but we know asymptomatic people spread the virus so who knows...? 

Perhaps @ramssuperbowl99 can shed some light?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

What we know so far is that the vaccines do a hell of a job preventing severe illness. We do not know how they effect transmission meaning if someone gets vaccinated and contracts the virus will they be able to give it to others as if they weren't vaccinated at all. Im hopeful it will have some impact on transmission due to the viral load likely being much less in those who have been vaccinated, but we know asymptomatic people spread the virus so who knows...? 

Perhaps @ramssuperbowl99 can shed some light?

I think you summed the unknowns well.

If once you're vaccinated you can't become an asymptomatic carrier, then the number of interactions you have with other people doesn't matter. So that opens up the "COVID passport" ideas that have been floated around as a possibility (not really sure if it's realistic though), whereas if the vaccine can prevent infection but not transmission, we will need to make sure both vaccinated and unvaccinated people limit their interactions until we hit herd immunity.

• Like 2

I just had a convo directly with our Nursing Director and she said the vaccines will be shipped here on Dec 14th, and our local community leaders believe the general population will be able to get vaccinated in the early spring. 

Somewhat bad news- our unit will likely be covering COVID ICU patients, and I may be the runner to get supplies to the nurses in need. To bring it back to those positive vibes- I should be first in line!

• Like 2

My very feeble brain likes to think of it as this thing needs to bind itself to your insides so it can replicate. I would think that the vaccine would intercept the receptor in the virus that is used to bind itself so it just bounces itself around w/ no ability to attach itself until the carrier flushes it out of it's system. This would lead me to believe if you coughed these little buggers out, the virus still would be w/o it's ability to attach itself to a new carrier and the process would remain the same.

How stupid am I for thinking this?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

The vaccine enters your bloodstream and induces an immune response so the next time the SARS CoV-2 virus enters your bloodstream, they're ready to kick ***. That immunity is created from the IgG and IgM antibody systems. But there's a lifecycle of the virus before it hits your bloodstream and that's where a vaccinated person could potentially transmit the virus to another human

It would be a small dose though, because the virus wouldn't have the opportunity to make eleventy billion copies as you noted above

This virus enters via the nose/throat ( mucosal surfaces) and those areas are protected by a different antibody system, called secretory IgA. I don't know if the immune response induced by a vaccine is limited to the bloodstream antibodies( IgG/IgM) or if somehow the IgA team is also informed and thus prepared to handle the virus the moment it arrives in your nose. There are companies working on mucosal vaccines for other diseases, but I don't know if anybody is working on them for COVID

So the answer to your question is that it seems possible, but with a much lower likelihood. Hope that helps. (haha !)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The vaccine enters your bloodstream and induces an immune response so the next time the SARS CoV-2 virus enters your bloodstream, they're ready to kick ***. That immunity is created from the IgG and IgM antibody systems. But there's a lifecycle of the virus before it hits your bloodstream and that's where a vaccinated person could potentially transmit the virus to another human

It would be a small dose though, because the virus wouldn't have the opportunity to make eleventy billion copies as you noted above

This virus enters via the nose/throat ( mucosal surfaces) and those areas are protected by a different antibody system, called secretory IgA. I don't know if the immune response induced by a vaccine is limited to the bloodstream antibodies( IgG/IgM) or if somehow the IgA team is also informed and thus prepared to handle the virus the moment it arrives in your nose. There are companies working on mucosal vaccines for other diseases, but I don't know if anybody is working on them for COVID

So the answer to your question is that it seems possible, but with a much lower likelihood. Hope that helps. (haha !)

Just to clarify- when you say 'it seems possible but with a much lower likelihood' you're referring to someone who was vaccinated being able to transmit the virus, correct?

41 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Just to clarify- when you say 'it seems possible but with a much lower likelihood' you're referring to someone who was vaccinated being able to transmit the virus, correct?

yes, that's my thought here
I just sent a this question to one of my larger- brained colleagues and I'll see what she says

• Like 1

Want to know why a lot of small businesses are closing? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Still makes me angry though. Our system just isn’t meant to help the underdogs 😢

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/12/01/ppp-sba-data/%3foutputType=amp

More than half of the money from the Treasury Department’s coronavirusemergency fund for small businesses went to just 5 percent of the recipients, according to data on more than 5 million loans that was released by the government Tuesday evening in response to a Freedom of Information Act request and lawsuit.

According to data on the government’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), about 600 mostly larger companies, including dozens of national chains, received the maximum amount allowed under the program of $10 million.

• Like 1