Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, theJ said:

Wait, don't be so hasty.  This guy has some serious tech at his disposal.  Just look.

We should be appointing this guy to some senior position within the government to prevent the further spread of the virus.

He should be King Corona if he's figured it out. We should pay taxes from our corona cash to him.

This crisis needed our own Jeff Goldblum... and we got 'em.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

What would that be, the weather and the way the virus would be transmitted?  

yeah most respiratory viral infections are seasonal (basically all flus, various common cold viruses including coronaviruses, other coronaviruses e.g. MERS) 

There are a lot of different factors / theories on what causes that between heat and humidity physically damaging or slowing the virus, to people's immune systems just being better in warmer weather, to people spending more time inside and in confined places like cars and subways when its too cold for people to want to go outside [mission is a numbers guy not a medicine guy, someone else can surely explain this part better]

so the prior here should be that SARS-CoV-2 is going to exhibit seasonal patterns in transmission 

it seems like the main reason some people are skeptical is there wasn't clear evidence from SARS-CoV-1 of seasonality... but remember there were only 8k total cases of SARS-CoV-1 and it burned out very quickly, I dont think we can really draw strong conclusions, and I think subsequent research has suggested SARS-CoV-1 would likely have exhibited seasonality if it hadn't died out almost immediately 

Edited by mission27
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

Wait, don't be so hasty.  This guy has some serious tech at his disposal.  Just look.

We should be appointing this guy to some senior position within the government to prevent the further spread of the virus.

I want to wear one around my neck like Flavor Flav

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Pretty cool (crap circumstances) to see the USNS Comfort sail on through the Harbor today. I wish it was for novelty and not purpose but a great sight none-the-less.   

it'll be even cooler to see it sail through on the way out

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dome said:

There was a video out of New York showing bodies being loaded into a freezer truck using a fork lift.

I don’t know what else needs to happen at this point. 

I saw that too. At least here, news stations aren't showing those things.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Australia for instance

141 new cases reported on March 18th, similar to Belgium who reported 185 cases on March 17th 

Belgium has reported 1K+ cases each of the last 5 days... including today

Australia has reported 200-500 a day... and reported 82 today... and is on a clear downtrend the last 5 days with yesterday being an outlier

This despite Australia being a much larger country and Belgium having instituted significantly more restrictions 

Weather is clearly playing a factor here and has to be part of the strategy 

Another factor is simply population density.

Australia 3.1 per sq km.

Belgium 383 per sq km.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This sounds promising.

Its very cool, they are short-cutting the timeline and skipping ahead to the actual immune response.
One challenge as noted earlier- its a numbers game.
Can you infuse a large enough army to overcome the advantage the virus has of being able to make more ? These transfusions might be just enough to stem the tide and buy the patient valuable time to recover. (they are essentially flattening the patients' infection curve )

And given the growing number of infected-recovered patients, supply should continue to grow and there are blood centers everywhere capable of handling the transfusion procedure. That means they can potentially use non-hospital resources and that's another bonus.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Another factor is simply population density.

Australia 3.1 per sq km.

Belgium 383 per sq km.

I agree, although I'd argue because the vast majority of cases are in urban areas it would be more useful to look at relative population density in the major metros.  I'm not sure the gap would be that significant but it'd be worth looking at

Just now, mission27 said:

I agree, although I'd argue because the vast majority of cases are in urban areas it would be more useful to look at relative population density in the major metros.  I'm not sure the gap would be that significant but it'd be worth looking at

Case in point being there is rapid exponential growth in the US and was in China, even though population density is not very high in either country if you just look at people / land area in total, because there are still very large metro areas and that's where the cases are going to be 

• Like 1