Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

On 3/28/2020 at 11:25 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Johns Hopkins will offer a free online course about the coronavirus pandemic and how it can be combatted through epidemiology. Offered publicly on the e-learning platform Coursera, the five-hour course is now open for enrollment and runs March 31 through April 14.

This free, beginner-level course is designed for those who want a better understanding of how epidemiologists identify and measure infectious disease outbreaks such as COVID-19. The course aims to explore the science behind pressing questions such as how many people have been infected, how infections are identified and measured, how infectious is the virus, and what can be done to combat it.

The course is led by three epidemiologists from the Bloomberg School of Public Health:

Link to the free course

Bumping this since the course opens up today. I plan on doing it but probably won't have time to start until this weekend.

• Like 3

This topic is about to be locked again. 

Drop the insults.  Stop the veiled political comments.  Stop the bickering.

We all know who are the conservatives and who are the liberals on this forum.  Most of you have been posting here for a decade.  There is no reason to keep up the back and forth political bickering.  You aren't going to change each others minds and no one else wants to read about it.  Stop it now.  

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, mistakey said:

or it oculd be cause of the bolded you know

except Australia has been slower than other countries to implement and yet hasn't seen the same kind of growth those other countries did...

we will see, I am hopeful

Edited by mission27

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

except Australia has been slower than other countries to implement and yet hasn't seen the same kind of growth those other countries did...

we will see, I am hopeful

Isn’t Australia 100th in the world in population density though?  I’d be really interested to see information based on population density of the world and how they’re doing.

Looks like Italy is the 22nd highest in population density, which would make sense.

South Korea though... Second highest and they’re doing better than most countries.  How reliable is their information please don’t get into it I’m just asking for the love of God.

Edited by Outpost31

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

South Korea though... Second highest and they’re doing better than most countries.  How reliable is their information please don’t get into it I’m just asking for the love of God.

Pretty much on par most other developed democracies. There is some.... problematic relationships between government and corporations, which is pretty similar to the US, or other like countries. 

South Korea has a lot of experience dealing with this type of thing. It was ground zero for the last big epidemic, MERS. Was hit hard by SwineFlu, Birdflu etc. So it shouldn't be a surprise they handled things well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There isn't any reason to doubt South Korea's numbers. The reason they did so well is:

1. They got on top of things right away

2. They tested extensively

3. They were already used to wearing masks and being aware of spreading diseases before this started

4. Their culture promotes following these sorts of rules

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Isn’t Australia 100th in the world in population density though?  I’d be really interested to see information based on population density of the world and how they’re doing.

Looks like Italy is the 22nd highest in population density, which would make sense.

Yeah this was brought up a few pages ago.  Australia's population density is skewed because there are large parts of the country (i.e. the middle) where almost nobody lives 

I would imagine the population density in the places people actually live (like New South Wales) is probably pretty similar to Europe and North America.  Given that's where the people are and that's where the cases are, that would be a better way to look at it

Its the same deal with the US... if you look at the total people / total area we are one of the less dense developed countries, but a lot of Americans live in places like New York and Chicago and Dallas and LA where population density is not any lower than it is in cities in Europe, so the fact that we have big chunks of land where nobody lives in Alaska is irrelevant to how quickly this will spread 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You would need to look at their population centers.  A lot of the country isn't habitable under normal circumstances by humans.  A lot of it is desert or grazing fields.    

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

There isn't any reason to doubt South Korea's numbers. The reason they did so well is:

1. They got on top of things right away

2. They tested extensively

3. They were already used to wearing masks and being aware of spreading diseases before this started

4. Their culture promotes following these sorts of rules

Just as a personal anecdote; during my time living there, it was pretty normal to have your temp checked when reentering the country. Even when I left in 2018, they still had advisory information about Ebola in the airports. 

Edited by animaltested