Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

54 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I know I said I'm only going to be positive, but I cannot get over the rate of seniors traveling right now.  If I had to compare it to when this wasn't going on, the number of seniors traveling right now is, in my opinion, exactly the same. 

I cannot get over that.  At all.  It's such a weird feeling of anger and pity I cannot describe.  None of them seem the slightest bit phased by it. 

The store I work at is packed, half seniors who live in this town where there are no known infections yet, the other half are tourists from nearby cities that have outbreaks just trying to get some fresh air

its like watching a slow motion car crash 

17 minutes ago, pwny said:

That’s insane. So mannnny people weren’t taking this serious at first, and many of my friends are still like “it’s just the flu! etc. 

This virus is just starting. It is also a toilet bowl affect as well. You will appear to get better, and then die at the tail-end of the disease after a few weeks. That’s why the deaths per day is sky rocketing. 

55 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I know I said I'm only going to be positive, but I cannot get over the rate of seniors traveling right now.  If I had to compare it to when this wasn't going on, the number of seniors traveling right now is, in my opinion, exactly the same. 

I cannot get over that.  At all.  It's such a weird feeling of anger and pity I cannot describe.  None of them seem the slightest bit phased by it. 

I see younger people constantly using the hand sanitizer we have set out for guests, but the older people are the ones flippant about the whole thing.  Leaning on the counter, getting as close to me as possible it seems like, showing no concern for germs or what they come into contact with. 

I try dissuading them from making a reservation as much as I can by not lowering the rates given the circumstances, but there are things I have to do in order to avoid discrimination or anything.  Gotta give them the senior rate, but when they ask I really want to say the senior rate is stay the frickin heck home. 

I know I'm probably being annoying by repeatedly complaining about the same thing of old people renting a hotel room, but how in the how does this keep happening?  And why?  What about a deadly virus to seniors makes every senior want to travel? 

As people get older, mortality takes on a different meaning.  If your sense is that you have limited time left, the sense of loosing time during the good years while you can still do things has a greater sense of loss than being restricted when younger.  Many may not feel that they have much time left to travel, and want to get it in before their health fails.

I am over 60 and have a likely time limiting cancer diagnosis but am still sheltering in place, mostly out of a feeling of responsibility to the community to help stop spread of the virus, but not so much out of fear of mortality related to the virus.  It is hard to imagine when young or middle aged, but one's relationship with mortality changes with old age.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

This “shutdown” for Illinois is a joke. People are out everywhere. Grocery stores are packed. The governor labeled the Liquor stores as “essential” so they remain open. 

RE: Liquor stores, i'm assuming the reason for them being open is twofold. One, alcoholics could die if they have to go through a sudden withdrawal. And Two, idk about anyone else, but i've been drinking a lot more at home due to sheer boredom. 

Whether that designation will change or not, im not sure. I guess it varies by state and province.

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

RE: Liquor stores, i'm assuming the reason for them being open is twofold. One, alcoholics could die if they have to go through a sudden withdrawal. And Two, idk about anyone else, but i've been drinking a lot more at home due to sheer boredom. 

Whether that designation will change or not, im not sure. I guess it varies by state and province.

Yeah, for the people that regularly go out to bars, online happy hours through skype or whatever are a thing. It's not great but it keeps the masses satisfied. 

This really just highlights how bad people are at shopping. 

Edited by skywindO2

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’m no doctor, but if cases are going undiagnosed and some of those people die, how are we not underdiagnosing those as well?

It's pretty rare (i.e. there was a major story in Italy about a girl being the first to die at home) that someone is going to die at home from this. The people who are dying are the ones who are in hospitals from the virus causing complications. The cases that are undiagnosed/unreported at the mild ones where people either a) are being denied a test because they have no complications (therefore are very unlikely to die) or b) have no idea they have the virus. 

54 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

100%. This is so important for people to understand. People are panicking on the volume of cases when in actuality more cases, which comes from increased testing, show the mortality rate is lower. To my point above, the people who are dying from complications are already being accounted for. 

All signs point to this being here in the US since December/January. Official confirmed cases is so underreported right now that it's not even worth looking at. Look at deaths. 

Edited by swoosh

4 minutes ago, swoosh said:

The cases that are undiagnosed/unreported at the mild ones where people either a) are being denied a test because they have no complications (therefore are very unlikely to die) or b) have no idea they have the virus. 

Except for quite a while, we had been denying high risk patients access to the test as well. Until yesterday, you couldn’t even get a test where I live without driving over 80 miles away and even those were limited. 

Just now, pwny said:

Except for quite a while, we had been denying high risk patients access to the test as well. Until yesterday, you couldn’t even get a test where I live without driving over 80 miles away and even those were limited. 

Denying a test to a high risk patient vs denying a test to a patient who is having complications (i.e. shortness of breath) are two completely different things. There is nothing to suggest hospitals are turning away people who are suffering complications and those people are going home and dying because of it. 

3 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Denying a test to a high risk patient vs denying a test to a patient who is having complications (i.e. shortness of breath) are two completely different things. There is nothing to suggest hospitals are turning away people who are suffering complications and those people are going home and dying because of it. 

I know of an MS patient who had shortness of breath that couldn’t go in and get a test.

And if we’re flat out not serving communities like my own community, it’s completely impossible to make sure everyone who is showing complications is tested. No one is going to drive 80+ miles when they think they’re about to die.

Edited by pwny

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I know of an MS patient who had shortness of breath that couldn’t go in and get a test.

And if we’re flat out not serving communities like my own community, it’s completely impossible to make sure everyone who is showing complications is tested. No one is going to drive 80+ miles when they think they’re about to die.

We're talking about being denied a test and then going home and dying though (therefore causing deaths to be underreported as well). There is absolutely nothing to suggest that is happening in any sort of volume.