Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

That's an excuse that I cannot excuse them from. 

1. They're still being ***holes trying to cash in on a pandemic with cheaper rates.
2. There have been plenty of older people who have cancelled due to the Coronavirus. 

In a world with so many options for getting news, there is no excuse for ignorance. 

Certainly not excusing it. just kinda explaining why it is likely the way you’re seeing it. There’s certainly going to be older folks who are reasonable and younger folks who aren’t. But I think the reason you’re seeing it play out how it is is because of just the difference in the generations. And yeah, they’re going to be the same people taking advantage of the situation because they believe everyone else is just caught up in a hoax and they deserve to prosper off of everyone else’s idiocy for falling for it.

I mean @LETSGOBROWNIES is a nurse. He tried talking to his dad about it, and his dad hung up on him because he didn’t want to hear it. It’s a sad state of affairs, but I think it’s reality. It absolutely shouldn’t be that way, but that’s probably why it is.

• Like 2

I just wish there was a personality virus that effected only ***holes. 

Wait... I'm an ***hole. 

But no, I have compassion for animals.  Sometimes people. 
I don't take advantage of others.
I actively try to not negatively effect others.
I use my blinkers and turn signals.
I obey the law.

Hopefully that would even out. 

• Like 1

I don’t know how reliable they are, but some experts are claiming that because of our limited testing, if we want to get an actual figure for the number of infected, you’d have to multiple the figure we have by 27. That would put us at over 520,000 people in the US.

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don’t know how reliable they are, but some experts are claiming that because of our limited testing, if we want to get an actual figure for the number of infected, you’d have to multiple the figure we have by 27. That would put us at over 520,000 people in the US.

That's less than what other people are saying.

Also I'm sure it's not but that seems like a very random number

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Okay, I'm really not making it up.  It has gotten to the point where the MAJORITY of occupants in my hotel are in the risk zone.  60-80 years old.  I'm really having a hard time with this.  They come in and ask for the cheapest rate and start haggling on the price of a hotel room.  They complain about no breakfast and ask for more off due to no breakfast, more off due to no pool, more off due to no fitness center.  These are closures for their ****ing safety when they shouldn't be ****ing safety and they shouldn't even be ****ing traveling. 

*I literally had to tell one jackass that if he didn't like our rates or our closed breakfast he's free to shop around for a different hotel room.
*People are calling a ****ing hotel to ask about infections in the area.  If you're ****ing worried about it, stay TF home.
*People are calling about discounted rates because of the Coronavirus asking about renting the pool.
*People are using the Coronavirus trying to get out of cancellation charges from January.
*I had one fat *** mother****er literally sneeze on me without even trying to cover his Goddamn mouth.
*People are asking for extra toilet paper.  I had one ballsy MF ask for a couple spare toilet paper rolls and I flat out told him no.  Almost added, "**** you." 
*Had one person joke about taking the hand sanitizer we had at the desk and selling it for a profit.

This is NOT what I was expecting when all of this happened.  The people most at risk are the most out.  And they're ****ing traveling AWAY from home, not returning home.  To anybody blaming our government or any government, I don't think there's a single government in the world that I can blame right now. 

"A person is smart.  People are dumb..."

Thousands of people are going to die by no fault but their own.  Certain people I've experienced I would have a hard time feeling bad about. 

Every post of yours is filled with profanity.   This one is especially egregious.  Please knock it off.  

• Like 2

I just ordered some pizzas from Dominos because they're all 50% off and I'm not going to lie, but I'm kind of concerned.  I'm thinking I'll wash my hands and immediately remove the pizza from the boxes to plates.  Wash my hands again and remove the boxes from my house.  Wash my hands again and then eat.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's less than what other people are saying.

Also I'm sure it's not but that seems like a very random number

This is a good thing. It means the mortality rate is FAR less than what the numbers currently suggests if you just look at deaths divided by confirmed cases. 

I'm not one of those people who thinks this is a just a normal flu, but the amount of panic is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Just now, swoosh said:

I'm not one of those people who thinks this is a just a normal flu, but the amount of panic is ridiculous. 

That's what's so scary about it though.  The amount of panic is or should be troubling for everybody.  I get that this is not the death danger people act like it is, but the panic is justified purely due to the panic.  It's like self-fulfilling panic and it just sucks.  It all sucks. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

*I literally had to tell one jackass that if he didn't like our rates or our closed breakfast he's free to shop around for a different hotel room.

Hit em with some Spock

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

Tell them you're desperately trying to save people's jobs and keep the hotel open... and that outweighs giving them a slightly better deal.
Ask them: "Do you want to be responsible for costing someone their job ?"
Then thank them for their selfless contribution to the greater good in these difficult times

If that doesn't help, shoot em in the face, its justifiable at this point  :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That's what's so scary about it though.  The amount of panic is or should be troubling for everybody.  I get that this is not the death danger people act like it is, but the panic is justified purely due to the panic.  It's like self-fulfilling panic and it just sucks.  It all sucks. 

Not to mention how easy it is for them to shut the country down

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

I just ordered some pizzas from Dominos because they're all 50% off and I'm not going to lie, but I'm kind of concerned.  I'm thinking I'll wash my hands and immediately remove the pizza from the boxes to plates.  Wash my hands again and remove the boxes from my house.  Wash my hands again and then eat.

Surely you usually take those precautions when ordering their awful pizza?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, showtime said:

I’ve posted this once before, but bears doing so again.

In short: get out fresh plates before you even receive the pizza. Remove the food from the container and dispose of it, then wash your hands. Make sure not to touch your face in the interim.

You might be going a little overboard, but for the most part you’re in the right spirit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I see what you mean. It's a cycle where people panicking is causing others to panic. 

I think things will start to calm down in the next 8 weeks or so. And I don't mean there won't be anymore cases/deaths. I just think people will be less on edge. We need more tests and we need to make it more accessible. Once we have that, the numbers will show the mortality rate is radically decreased. Just look to South Korea. South Korea has tested 5,000 people per 1 million citizens which is the highest in the world (US is at 100 people 1 million citizens). They're reporting a roughly 1% mortality rate (deaths / confirmed cases). 

Even beyond testing, another good sign in terms of mortality rate is the percentage of people who have no symptoms or very minor symptoms. If you have no symptoms (unless you're a privileged athlete for example), how likely are you to go to the doctors just to get tested? On the slim chance you do just because, how likely would they actually give you a test? 

Let's roll with the 27x example above that suggests we have 500,000 cases right now. 278 (deaths) divided by 500,000 = 0.000556. Deaths will go up more as time goes on, but not nearly as high as 27x. 

The most important thing right now is stopping the spread as much as possible to not overwhelm the hospitals and to give scientists more time. 

• Like 2