Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Simple DIY masks could help flatten the curve. We should all wear them in public.

Got a T-shirt? You can make a mask at home.

When historians tally up the many missteps policymakers have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the senseless and unscientific push for the general public to avoid wearing masks should be near the top.

The evidence not only fails to support the push, it also contradicts it. It can take a while for official recommendations to catch up with scientific thinking. In this case, such delays might be deadly and economically disastrous. It’s time to make masks a key part of our fight to contain, then defeat, this pandemic. Masks effective at “flattening the curve” can be made at home with nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of scissors. We should all wear masks — store-bought or homemade — whenever we’re out in public.  

There are good reasons to believe DIY masks would help a lot. Look at Hong Kong, Mongolia, South Korea and Taiwan, all of which have covid-19 largely under control. They are all near the original epicenter of the pandemic in mainland China, and they have economic ties to China. Yet none has resorted to a lockdown, such as in China’s Wuhan province. In all of these countries, all of which were hit hard by the SARS respiratory virus outbreak in 2002 and 2003, everyone is wearing masks in public. George Gao, director general of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, stated, “Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.”

My data-focused research institute, fast.ai, has found 34 scientific papers indicating basic masks can be effective in reducing virus transmission in public — and not a single paper that shows clear evidence that they cannot.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/

For everyone freaking about Florida.... I had to take my wife to the hospital last night in the greater Orlando area (she’s okay) and the only people in there were doctors and nurses. My wife’s cousin works at ORMC and said she’s never seen it slower than the past week and a half. I also have a buddy who works at a hospital in Miami and he’s been told to take PDO’s the last 2 days. I get that’s only 3 locations in the entire state, but in Orlando specifically (a major tourist city) our hospital’s aren’t being overrun from people dying or being sick to covid19. I think most people are taking the sanitation, social distancing, and quarantining seriously. What will destroy us is losing our minds, not the virus itself.

Personally, I think it’s been going around longer than February and if it was going to get a lot worse (in Orlando anyways considering it’s such a hot spot for tourists) then it would have already. There’s too many people working from home, self-quarantining, social distancing, sanitizing, and places temporarily closed for it to get much worse here.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

For everyone freaking about Florida.... I had to take my wife to the hospital last night in the greater Orlando area (she’s okay) and the only people in there were doctors and nurses. My wife’s cousin works at ORMC and said she’s never seen it slower than the past week and a half. I also have a buddy who works at a hospital in Miami and he’s been told to take PDO’s the last 2 days. I get that’s only 3 locations in the entire state, but in Orlando specifically (a major tourist city) our hospital’s aren’t being overrun from people dying or being sick to covid19. I think most people are taking the sanitation, social distancing, and quarantining seriously. What will destroy us is losing our minds, not the virus itself.

Personally, I think it’s been going around longer than February and if it was going to get a lot worse (in Orlando anyways considering it’s such a hot spot for tourists) then it would have already. There’s too many people working from home, self-quarantining, social distancing, sanitizing, and places temporarily closed for it to get much worse here.

come back in 2 weeks

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

come back in 2 weeks

Yeah, like I said I think it’s been around longer than what’s reported (February) and if it’s going to get much worse it will be next week not in 2 weeks according to our city officials.