Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

27 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

he one thing I did not understand was people driving around with masks on (usually solo or a husband/wife looking combo)...not sure what the thinking is there.

Probably going somewhere or coming back from somewhere where they want to wear a mask like the supermarket

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Probably going somewhere or coming back from somewhere where they want to wear a mask like the supermarket

While I get that part, there is zero use of wearing said mask once you are back in or just got in your car.  For anyone who has worn one of those masks properly, they are not particularly comfortable.  Just seems weird to me but to each their own. My neighbor is currently doing yard work wearing one...people do some weird stuff.  

29 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I think NY is just the first one to fall, so to speak. A lot of tourists from other countries, especially Asia, come to NYC in greater numbers than other areas, I'd assume. On the plus side, NYC getting hit hard will put things into perspective for a lot of people. Perhaps other states will be more aggressive after seeing what NYC is going through. 

I'd be interested to see the graphs for Chicago, Boston, LA, etc...I've been hyper-focused on NY since that's where I live. I wonder if other cities are following a similar trend?

Whats really interesting to me is that this didn't happen 3 weeks earlier in LA and that LA still seems to be doing ok

LA has extensive travel with East Asia and Iran, more so than New York.  I always thought that'd be the first place this really hit 

My theory is the New York and by extension the entire US outbreak (with the exception of Washington State) is basically a direct result of the outbreak in Europe and very few of the cases can be traced back to Asia without a European intermediary.  Map of which strains they are finding where basically confirms this.  And NYC has more travel with Europe than anywhere else, by far.

Its totally possible if that one hospital had properly contained that one guy in Lombardy the outbreak here would've been much later and maybe never reached this extent.  But once you had a serious outbreak in Europe it was inevitably going to spread to the rest of Europe and then to the rest of the world due to Schengen extensive travel between Europe and other places

Other factors may include warmer weather and lack of public transportation in LA

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

While I get that part, there is zero use of wearing said mask once you are back in or just got in your car.  For anyone who has worn one of those masks properly, they are not particularly comfortable.  Just seems weird to me but to each their own. My neighbor is currently doing yard work wearing one...people do some weird stuff.  

In fairness, a lot of people are trying to avoid touching their face until they get home, unload their groceries, and wash up.  Probably just get their entire get up on before they leave their house and dont take it off until they are ready to wash their hands and or take a shower. 

Funny enough I saw a lady in a car wearing a surgical mask in like January and laughed... maybe she had the right idea

Edited by mission27
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I think we can all agree every country to one degree or another is under counting.

What's more useful looking at China is the timeline and the shape of the oubreak rather than absolute numbers.  Even if China wasnt purposefully understating the numbers we know that no country is testing everyone so the absolute numbers aren't that meaningful, but the trend and timeline probably tell us something especially given European countries are following very close to that trend and timeline so far.

thats only if you believe the shape as well

• Like 1

Just now, mistakey said:

thats only if you believe the shape as well

Well yeah but there's other reasons to believe the curve is directionaly correct

First because Europe is following a very similar curve and timeline so far on the way up

But more importantly we know China has been lifting measures for a number of weeks and even Hubei is out of lockdown with the exception of Wuhan, which is slated to happen on 4/8.  Shape of the curve might be a little bit wrong, but it cant be that wrong, the CCP wouldn't be lifting the Hubei lockdown if there was still an active outbreak there (say what you will they aren't that stupid and they take this **** very seriously now).  Obviously that doesnt mean there wont be another wave 

35 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Well yeah but there's other reasons to believe the curve is directionaly correct

First because Europe is following a very similar curve and timeline so far on the way up

But more importantly we know China has been lifting measures for a number of weeks and even Hubei is out of lockdown with the exception of Wuhan, which is slated to happen on 4/8.  Shape of the curve might be a little bit wrong, but it cant be that wrong, the CCP wouldn't be lifting the Hubei lockdown if there was still an active outbreak there (say what you will they aren't that stupid and they take this **** very seriously now).  Obviously that doesnt mean there wont be another wave 

well they reopened movie theaters and then had to reclose them

The part of this that is driving me nuts is the waiting. 4 weeks ago, we were formulating a strategy. 2 weeks ago, we started executing it. A few days ago, we started seeing some results. (Note: I am not getting dragged into a timeline debate, this is just rough from my perspective as a midwestern dude.)

And now there's nothing we can do, just staying inside, hoping that the plan we formulated works. It's like watching a 3 pointer in the air that takes 2 months to land.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
Word choice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The part of this that is driving me nuts is the waiting. 4 weeks ago, we were formulating a strategy. 2 weeks ago, we started executing it. A few days ago, we started seeing some results. (Note: I am not getting dragged into a timeline debate, this is just rough from my perspective as a midwestern dude.)

And now there's nothing we can do, just staying inside, hoping that the plan we formulated works. It's like watching a 3 pointer in the air that takes 2 months to land.

This should help:

https://twitter.com/thesulk/status/1243632992053907456?s=20

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

CBS has Wisconsin vs. Duke 2015 NCAA mens BB championship on tonight. Even when there are no sports, Wisconsin still gets its heart ripped out.

Oof man that’s awful. Can you at least bet on the outcome?

• Like 1