Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, Dome said:

From what I saw, the hazard pay increase was on par with the bonuses that other stores are giving...

glad they’re doing something 

new seasons was doing it a couple weeks ago, 150 extra week, I figured all major chains would have been forced to by now but i certainly don't pay much attention. ya'll are definitely on the front lines.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

In fairness, a lot of people are trying to avoid touching their face until they get home, unload their groceries, and wash up.  Probably just get their entire get up on before they leave their house and dont take it off until they are ready to wash their hands and or take a shower. 

Funny enough I saw a lady in a car wearing a surgical mask in like January and laughed... maybe she had the right idea

She was living in the future the rest of paid the price. 

• Like 1

Whats really interesting to me is that this didn't happen 3 weeks earlier in LA and that LA still seems to be doing ok

LA has extensive travel with East Asia and Iran, more so than New York.  I always thought that'd be the first place this really hit 

My theory is the New York and by extension the entire US outbreak (with the exception of Washington State) is basically a direct result of the outbreak in Europe and very few of the cases can be traced back to Asia without a European intermediary.  Map of which strains they are finding where basically confirms this.  And NYC has more travel with Europe than anywhere else, by far.

Its totally possible if that one hospital had properly contained that one guy in Lombardy the outbreak here would've been much later and maybe never reached this extent.  But once you had a serious outbreak in Europe it was inevitably going to spread to the rest of Europe and then to the rest of the world due to Schengen extensive travel between Europe and other places

Other factors may include warmer weather and lack of public transportation in LA

I personally know 7 different sets of people who flew back from Europe (5 of which were in Italy, unsure of North vs South).  The start of the year is a very popular time for a lot of people to hop over there for vacant post holidays and before the busy Spring kicks off in my work world. 

• Like 1

Whats really interesting to me is that this didn't happen 3 weeks earlier in LA and that LA still seems to be doing ok

LA has extensive travel with East Asia and Iran, more so than New York.  I always thought that'd be the first place this really hit 

My theory is the New York and by extension the entire US outbreak (with the exception of Washington State) is basically a direct result of the outbreak in Europe and very few of the cases can be traced back to Asia without a European intermediary.  Map of which strains they are finding where basically confirms this.  And NYC has more travel with Europe than anywhere else, by far.

Its totally possible if that one hospital had properly contained that one guy in Lombardy the outbreak here would've been much later and maybe never reached this extent.  But once you had a serious outbreak in Europe it was inevitably going to spread to the rest of Europe and then to the rest of the world due to Schengen extensive travel between Europe and other places

Other factors may include warmer weather and lack of public transportation in LA

I thought the DC/MD/VA area would've been hit harder than we have.  In Maryland, we have BWI airport and everything that comes into the Port of Baltimore, Virginia has Reagan and Dulles airports, and DC is DC.  Both state governors and the mayor of DC have all worked together to coordinate their efforts and have been on top of this like Ohio has been, and I think that's where you are going to see a difference right now.  

LA is the one that I don't understand either.  I'm glad that they aren't drowning in it like NYC and Washington State, but conventional wisdom should say that's the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

This is an aside, but I hate that there are still publications that are making you sign up, create accounts, or even worse, limit your reading for articles related to coronavirus during this time.  I know the NY Times just makes you have an account, but you shouldn't have to give out any personal information in a time like this.  People want news and information in times like this, and as someone who has been involved in the journalism field in the past, I know it's been a shifting industry and times are tough.  But have some restraint.  The Baltimore Sun from the Tribune Media Company has done unlimited views for big public stories since the 2015 Baltimore riots.  Really, really bad form on some of these outlets.  

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

This is an aside, but I hate that there are still publications that are making you sign up, create accounts, or even worse, limit your reading for articles related to coronavirus during this time. 

I'm sure you know this, but you can often get around article limits by clearing your cookies.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm sure you know this, but you can often get around article limits by clearing your cookies.

Absolutely.  But if they block the story by requiring an account, or block you because you are using adblockers, you can't get around that.  It's a shameful practice to take advantage of people right now, especially for journalism.  

• Like 2

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Absolutely.  But if they block the story by having an account, or block you because you are using adblockers.  It's a shameful practice to take advantage of people right now, especially for journalism.  

agreed, and with a number of a large name companies offering free services as well, it's an even worse look.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

agreed, and with a number of a large name companies offering free services as well, it's an even worse look.

Newspapers were already struggling to begin with an online advertising money is down 40% according to Google. So I understand if companies can't afford to just give their products away right now 

Unfortunate that news companies are privately owned but that's another discussion entirely