Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

11 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

what’s annoying me with media coverage for all countries is that for places that have not yet peaked - ny, italy, and spain most especially here - every day you see “new peak for daily deaths in new york today!”

like yes that’s how exponential curves work this isn’t a surprise

and

ditto when the world cases hit a million, like yeah, if they are 990k yesterday ofc they’re going to hit a million tomorrow

i’m not saying don’t report these, but i do think they should be reported more as a given than as some unexpected development

Also deaths lag everything so the curve can be flattening while deaths are still going up...but the media needs those hits so they won't share that with you.  Also have yet to see any major media outlet discuss recoveries.  All just doom and gloom and the world is going to end!

9 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It annoys when they act shocked about the unemployment numbers. That's what happens when a crap ton of business get shut down

One of the outlets I saw on TV Friday actually seemed upset that the markets did not react harsher then the figures came out.  It is really sad so many people on TV seem to root against this country.  

6 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

obvi this dudes point is political but you can take the info w/o the message

tho there are explanations why pneumonia deaths would have fallen off w/o them being nefarious 

Direction at my wifes hospital has been to just chalk it up to COVID when a patience dies, even if the tests are not back yet.  Really sloppy from everyone on the entire reporting/testing spectrum.  I do understand however, as everyone is in triage mode and to be honest, do not have the time to wait around for perfect answers, need to just keep moving forward so it really should not be surprising to see deaths from all things see a dip.  I do believe in other places you would likely get the opposite and if a test is not back yet rule it something else so I think over the entire course of this thing the averages should be relatively accurate. 

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Second quarter unemployment rate is projecting to be between 10-40% (the NYT is suggesting it’s already at ~13%) but more precisely 32%. That’s 7% higher than the Great Depression unemployment peak. 

And some want to keep all non-essential businesses closed until a vaccine is released that’s at minimum a year away?

🤔

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2020/march/back-envelope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/coronavirus-jobless-rate-great-depression.html

Keep in mind those % while extremely high are largely made up of PT/Hourly workers and while their lives are essential and their definition of essential is very different than all of ours, the number will be high for a while but should be able to return rather quickly once we are "back to normal"...whenever that may be. 

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’d say most people are wanting closures until we get past some of the peak stuff at least. Right or wrong, our country and pretty much every other country was unprepared as far as resources, and our best current tactic is to stall and hope that the hospital beds aren’t completely inundated. Level out the cases over time, have masks, ventilator access, etc. Going back to business as usual right now is pretty much a guarantee that will happen and our medical system will not hold up. I am sure there are outliers that want to wait on a vaccine, and I’m not lobbying for that by any means. But that would make more sense than opening things back up tomorrow at least. The current unemployment is going to have serious layers of issues but nothing near ignoring the dangers of the virus.

That is all good and fine, but one thing they need to address and likely need to do it ASAP is going to be elective surgeries.  Hospitals, practices, etc. make most their money off of those elective surgeries.  Wait until (has already started in NJ) medical facilities have to start letting people go. I have zero idea how they can even attempt to figure that out, but hospitals and such are going to need a lot more than PPE soon if this doesn't start to slow down asap. 

55 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

One of the outlets I saw on TV Friday actually seemed upset that the markets did not react harsher then the figures came out.  It is really sad so many people on TV seem to root against this country.  

So someone being perplexed by the most volatile market in history means they are rooting against the county in your mind?  

What a leap....

49 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

That is all good and fine, but one thing they need to address and likely need to do it ASAP is going to be elective surgeries.  Hospitals, practices, etc. make most their money off of those elective surgeries.  Wait until (has already started in NJ) medical facilities have to start letting people go. I have zero idea how they can even attempt to figure that out, but hospitals and such are going to need a lot more than PPE soon if this doesn't start to slow down asap. 

The people they’re letting go are administrative people and a small percentage of total staff from what I’ve seen.

Theyre not letting clinical staff go.  I’ve received emails from 3 states in the last week offering 5-10k per week plus per diems, lodging, transport, etc., to go work there.

They need relief from Washington, who can just print more funny money.

Maybe with that money they can include some provisions that mandate guaranteed staffing ratios, equipment and funding reserves to prevent this stuff from happening as quickly next time.  You know, instead of 7 figure CEO salaries...

• Like 2

And another point, they could allow hospitals to do elective procedures, but good luck getting people to set a surgery date.

People don’t want to go to their own PCP’s office for a UTI right now, you think they want to go for an inpatient stay at a facility with active COVID patients?  

Areas hit hard by covid don’t even have the nursing/RT staff, beds, PPE, etc, they need now, but suddenly they can accommodate elective admissions too?  

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The people they’re letting go are administrative people and a small percentage of total staff from what I’ve seen.

Theyre not letting clinical staff go.  I’ve received emails from 3 states in the last week offering 5-10k per week plus per diems, lodging, transport, etc., to go work there.

They need relief from Washington, who can just print more funny money.

Maybe with that money they can include some provisions that mandate guaranteed staffing ratios, equipment and funding reserves to prevent this stuff from happening as quickly next time.  You know, instead of 7 figure CEO salaries...

And 8 figure bonuses 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Second quarter unemployment rate is projecting to be between 10-40% (the NYT is suggesting it’s already at ~13%) but more precisely 32%. That’s 7% higher than the Great Depression unemployment peak. 

And some want to keep all non-essential businesses closed until a vaccine is released that’s at minimum a year away?

🤔

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2020/march/back-envelope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/coronavirus-jobless-rate-great-depression.html

Right now I have a feeling that a lot of states have enhanced unemployment benefits, while people are still processing what the federal government aid items were passed last week can do for them.  In my business, it took a couple days for my boss to really have a gripe on them, and there are still questions the corporate office is working through in regards to the PPP and it's over a week later.  

Also, businesses that are transitioning to constructing items like ventilators, hand sanitizer and medical equipment that were not previous doing them, it takes time to recalibrate equipment, get the raw materials and then train the staff there.  Additionally, states are still getting their national guards online to help with additional field hospitals and other facilities.  There is a ramp up time right now that everyone is going through, and those things will not be concerns the next time this spikes.  

I hate being home as much as everyone, and also feel that there is a breaking point somewhere, but we aren't there yet.  I'm also agreeing with @ET80 in that sports is the last thing that needs to open to the public.  There is some sense of normalcy that will come when live events are back online, and that will help morale of the people, but they shouldn't be for a live audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

I have tried to look but not success...is any Coronavirus known to have a vaccine?  This is the family in which a common cold can come from right?  Zero cure for that.  I think people hoping for a vaccine may be let down.  Otherwise that would tell me they could have a vaccine for the common cold and just never bothered because it is not a severe/killer...

There is a cattle vaccine

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And another point, they could allow hospitals to do elective procedures, but good luck getting people to set a surgery date.

People don’t want to go to their own PCP’s office for a UTI right now, you think they want to go for an inpatient stay at a facility with active COVID patients?  

Areas hit hard by covid don’t even have the nursing/RT staff, beds, PPE, etc, they need now, but suddenly they can accommodate elective admissions too?  

My stepfather has a procedure planned for April 24th, and even though we arent hit hard, we are expecting that surgery to get moved back.  Nothing serious, but it may require an overnights stay, and he may cancel that himself before they do.  

• Like 1

I have tried to look but not success...is any Coronavirus known to have a vaccine?  This is the family in which a common cold can come from right?  Zero cure for that.  I think people hoping for a vaccine may be let down.  Otherwise that would tell me they could have a vaccine for the common cold and just never bothered because it is not a severe/killer...

There are over 200 viruses that cause a cold.  
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/understanding-common-cold-virus

Between the absurd amount of R/D it would take and the fact a cold is almost universally nothing more than a PIA for a week, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

• Like 2

Either you can see into the future or you are repeating the news?

I’m not sure what this is meant to imply.

But yes, I am repeating what scientists, doctors, and other experts are saying.

Also given we’ve seen these situations before.. It’s not even remotely absurd of a statement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Who said anything about all? All is a pretty encompassing word. I never said all, I specifically went into a hierarchy of what should and should not be done.

I'll state it again - under no circumstances should you cram 80,000 people into a single building right now or in the immediate future - not unless you have a reliable, scalable countermeasure (vaccine or multiple treatment options to account for all situations). Concerts, Conventions, Sporting Events - if you can't do these things in a virtual or streaming setting, don't do them - full stop.

^^^^^^^

For anyone who missed it, forgot it or needs to read it again.

• Like 1