Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll/amp/skorea-experts-downplay-possible-reinfections/1818085

I found this statement from Oh Myoung-don (head of SK Central Clinical Committee) extremely encouraging:

'He said lab tests on animals suggest that COVID-19 patients would maintain immunity for at least a year after their infections.'

I'm not sure how they can test for that, but he's a damn good source, so that's encouraging news.

Animals age differently than humans, and so if rats and mice show immunity for a certain percentage of their lifespan, we can expect something similar from humans. It's the same strategy we use to assess if drugs could be carcinogenic.

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I don't have the will to read the past three pages, so maybe it's been mentioned.

@mission27 the score for the US continues to drop. Do you anticipate this continuing? Also, the death rate "jumped" today so how did our score not go up?

95337193_10220867743151078_1918533299525

On another note, I was listening to the Governor of MO talk today. Apparently only 40 something of our 120ish hospitals have been reporting numbers. He said there's a different number of places reporting each day. Makes me wonder why there isn't a requirement for reporting daily, even if it's zero.

hint: cause the MoLs isnt real . . .

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Animals age differently than humans, and so if rats and mice show immunity for a certain percentage of their lifespan, we can expect something similar from humans. It's the same strategy we use to assess if drugs could be carcinogenic.

Oh wow, that's interesting. I'm assuming those rats are still showing immunity since they haven't given a general timeline yet. 

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

A lot of others have brought up the numerous advantages that New Zealand have over us. But I'll address the last quote. That's the difference between Americans and Kiwis :D

The people of New Zealand actually trust their government, and with good reason. So a quote like that probably won't be taken the wrong way like it would in America.

We'll see what happens when they start relaxing their restrictions. It's also fall now down there. If this thing is seasonal, that's definitely one way we'll find out. Hopefully no resurgence.

That’s certainly a plus for them, you are right, there is very low trust here in America for our government and rightfully so. Unfortunate. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Let's be nuanced when called for. My wife would laugh in your face if you said this to her. Hospitals are still operating with other units, sometimes 3-4 of them, converted into ICU wards. Drugs are still scarce. PPE is still being used longer than it should be. Reopening the economy in Chicago would be an absolute disaster right now.

Reopening the economy is not an on/off toggle. 

Ok and that’s specific to Chicago...here in central NJ my wife’s hospitals are at their lowest census (whatever the term is) they have been in years. Reopening things in central jersey would absolutely save jobs and business. 

One states / cities problems should not be a national problem. You can begin to open pockets, areas and from that you’ll learn and see what works and what doesn’t. 

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/trump-says-he-s-issuing-order-for-tyson-s-unique-liability

Trump is using the defense act to keep plants open. 

I'm not sure what I think about that but I found the comments interesting about people shouldn't have to work if it's not completely safe. They must be living in a bubble

This was a very good move. Get the people the equipment they need (it’s meat plants so they should have PPE, if they don’t then they need to change that ASAP). These facilities should be operating very sterile conditions to begin with, if they weren’t that’s shame on them and time to fix that. 

The impact this could of had and likely still will will devastate people who are not well off. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Ok and that’s specific to Chicago...here in central NJ my wife’s hospitals are at their lowest census (whatever the term is) they have been in years. Reopening things in central jersey would absolutely save jobs and business. 

One states / cities problems should not be a national problem. You can begin to open pockets, areas and from that you’ll learn and see what works and what doesn’t. 

Which is precisely why I said this should be nuanced and that there shouldn’t be an on/off switch.

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He hasn't because it's not relevant.

It'd also be fun if he walked people through how to do their taxes or bake a pie but that's not his job.

Telling people to wash their hands = relevant. Telling people to live healthier and focus on their immune systems = not relevant. 

Ok. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Yep.  A big thing we will have to learn to live with is the idea that everywhere has cases and people will absolutely be traveling from more or less hard hit cities, states, and countries and yes they could spread the virus or catch the virus somewhere and bring it home.  You will always have some risk of getting sick and there will be intra-community spread.  And in a world where there are cases everywhere, you don't have to lock down the entire world because there are cases in one city.  It made sense when the goal was strict containment but that ship has sailed.  Because one person getting sick or bringing a disease from Madrid to London isn't the end of the world when there are already low levels of cases in both places.  

The focus has to turn to surveillance testing and short-lived shutdowns in specific metros if hot spots develop.  That wouldn't be enough to contain but it should be enough to prevent healthcare system overload, which is the goal.

• Like 1