Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

From what I've read it sounds like it shortens that recovery time, but does not have an impact on mortality.

The NIH study showed a 31% reduction in mortality which is significant though clearly not a miracle cure.  Next step imo is to figure out if we give this earlier on in the disease progression does mortality drop even more

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

We haven't seen the results but both Fauci and Gilead who have seen them or been briefed on them are saying the results are very positive'and Fauci is now saying this should be the new 'standard of care' going forward.  Seems to me Gilead held off on releasing the results of their own study to see how the NIAID study came out so they could comment on both at the same time and pulled the trigger once they realized the results were consistent.

Serious question though, isn't it hard to do a placebo controlled study on a drug with so much positive anecdotal evidence on an acute illness with high mortality, especially when that drug has an extensive compassionate use program in place?  If I were seriously ill I'd much rather get the drug on a compassionate use basis than participate in a controlled study and potentially get the placebo 

That's the hard part yes. You have to convince people to be on the placebo effect of the study with the promise they will be the first to receive the test in further studies. But getting the FDA to sign off on even compassionate use is normally difficult but for this drug they already have a lot of info based on their usage with ebola.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The NIH study showed a 31% reduction in mortality which is significant though clearly not a miracle cure.  Next step imo is to figure out if we give this earlier on in the disease progression does mortality drop even more

That's better than I thought from reading some reactions. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52473524

Another point on mortality.  This study today in UK shows 33%+ of patients who are hospitalized from COVID-19 die.  So that would be a comparison point to the 7-8% we saw in the two studies today I would think. 

Obviously the placebo controlled study showed a much smaller impact (31% reduction vs. 75% reduction if we take 33% as the baseline) but still point stands that 7-8% mortality among hospitalized COVID-19 patients is a GREAT outcome compared to where we are without therapeutics, especially when you consider we have reason to believe something like 98-99% of COVID-19 patients are not being hospitalized. 

16 hours ago, Xenos said:

If they shut down, how much would it impact the food supply? Could we still get by with frozen meat?

I went to two stores yesterday, no raw chicken in either.  I went to the local store this morning, they had raw chicken but had limited quantities out, and you could only buy in limited quantities.  It's probably going to go the same way as toilet paper.  

The restaurant supply chains should be overloaded with food, given the abrupt stoppage in business they've had.  However, all of that food is usually spoken for sometimes years in advance.  Hopefully some of the chains with excess supply will hand it over if they can.  Also, keep an eye on your restaurants, who may start selling meats at their stores as an additional revenue stream.  In my area, that's happening in downtown Annapolis, as well as rural restaurants without a super market. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The downside here is that it's IV only, and per the FDA since forever, that can only be done in a hospital.

There are natural and integrative doctors that offer IV therapies all over the country. My wife and father in law would get IV treatments all the time before this hit. Not sure what that would look like with remdesivir though

Edit: It gets pricey though, so not an option for a lot people

Edited by dtait93

42 minutes ago, mission27 said:

We haven't seen the results but both Fauci and Gilead who have seen them or been briefed on them are saying the results are very positive'and Fauci is now saying this should be the new 'standard of care' going forward. 

This should be the headline tbh.

Fauci is telling US doctors that people with COVID-19 need to be getting remdesivir starting now. This isn't approval of an NDA, but to use a football metaphor, remdisivir was just named as the interim head coach.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This should be the headline tbh.

Fauci is telling US doctors that people with COVID-19 need to be getting remdesivir starting now. This isn't approval of an NDA, but to use a football metaphor, remdisivir was just named as the interim head coach.

FDA emergency approval rumored to be coming down today tbh

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Less than 6 months from first whispers of this virus to first treatment approval. No it's not full approval, but whatever.

Decent turnaround time tbh.

Tbf this got MoL approval in February.  I think you could make the argument that the MoL cured the coronavirus tbhwy