Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Agriculture won't be the problem but if plants keep shutting down Or if trucks can't stay on the road for whatever reason we might have an issue.

Also doesn't the US import most of it's fruits and vegetables?

It depends on the type tbh we make some killer oranges

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

It depends on the type tbh we make some killer oranges

Not to mention imports don't mean a lack of production... We also import a crapton of oil despite the fact that the United States surpassed Saudi Arabia as the top oil producer in the world back in 2013 and has kept that position ever since.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Agriculture won't be the problem but if plants keep shutting down Or if trucks can't stay on the road for whatever reason we might have an issue.

The companies with these plants shutting down blatantly ignored social distancing and hygiene/sanitization requirements.  The leadership of those companies need to be held accountable.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

ever been to northern italy?
and i don't think germany is a warmer climate like the uk.

Don't know abouts stats, but winter in Germany is guaranteed snow, winter in UK isn't usually cold enough to snow. Sometimes it is.

I'd say London is a Seattle cousin, in terms of weather. Maybe a bit drier.

Edited by Hunter2_1

9 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Plus a very large majority of our agriculture goes toward raises cattle, chicken and other animals.  Those same animals we can't process right now because the processing facilities are shutting down everywhere.

Starvation probably won't touch middle class america.  Yeah things will get more expensive, but people will get through it.  The people who will suffer are those on the lower end, or counties that depend on aid.  The aid that first world counties won't be able to supply to the same degree because of the price squeeze.

To me, this is why it's vitally important to do whatever we can to re-open things, jump start the economy.  You can call a hairdresser non-essential, but every last job we have contributes in some small way to the overall food supply chain, and taking millions of them out of the chain has a large effect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I could see why it could be an issue for counties that are heavily dependant on imports for their food supply but for the top food producing countries like the U.S, China, India, The Netherlands, Italy, France, Spain, Russia, etc... There is no excuse for there to be any food shortages. It shouldn't be difficult at all to keep agriculture going safely. 

It’s not so much agriculture it’s processing and shipping. Supply chains are being impacted by closure of plants all over the world.

Edited by diehardlionfan

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I remember when I was a kid I was a bit of an anarchist. I didnt think we needed government control, and wanted true freedom. 

These types of news stories show how wrong I was. Yikes...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Who could have seen this coming. Shocking I tell ya.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I remember when I was a kid I was a bit of an anarchist. I didnt think we needed government control, and wanted true freedom. 

They were just easing restrictions in San Diego too. We could walk through the beach with proper social distancing i.e. no congregating or sunbathing. Honestly Newsom should be punishing those cities who kept their beaches open like Huntington Beach instead of everyone.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The companies with these plants shutting down blatantly ignored social distancing and hygiene/sanitization requirements.  The leadership of those companies need to be held accountable.  

This, those plants should have been clean facilities to begin with, they should be shut down for not being sanitary.  The 6ft working thing if people are protected properly should not come into play much. 

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Plus a very large majority of our agriculture goes toward raises cattle, chicken and other animals.  Those same animals we can't process right now because the processing facilities are shutting down everywhere.

Starvation probably won't touch middle class america.  Yeah things will get more expensive, but people will get through it.  The people who will suffer are those on the lower end, or counties that depend on aid.  The aid that first world counties won't be able to supply to the same degree because of the price squeeze.

To me, this is why it's vitally important to do whatever we can to re-open things, jump start the economy.  You can call a hairdresser non-essential, but every last job we have contributes in some small way to the overall food supply chain, and taking millions of them out of the chain has a large effect.

Prices around me have increased drastically, went from $84 for 2 weeks of meat for my dog to $132...that is going to hurt a lot of people but like you said, most will be fine and adjust. They have been limiting chicken product purchases around me, but so far nothing else.  I really think they are walking a fine line limiting how much food a person can purchase. 

46 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

ugh govt control