Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I remember when I was a kid I was a bit of an anarchist. I didnt think we needed government control, and wanted true freedom. 

These types of news stories show how wrong I was. Yikes...

It's part of growing up, I had the same thing. It's smart to reevaluate what you think and check it against reality, and a pandemic is an excellent example of why as much as we like to pretend we're all individuals virtually everything we do has impact on other people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't know abouts stats, but winter in Germany is guaranteed snow, winter in UK isn't usually cold enough to snow. Sometimes it is.

I'd say London is a Seattle cousin, in terms of weather. Maybe a bit drier.

Lets be clear here, Seattle is definitely the better looking, smarter, and more fun cousin. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's part of growing up, I had the same thing. It's smart to reevaluate what you think and check it against reality, and a pandemic is an excellent example of why as much as we like to pretend we're all individuals virtually everything we do has impact on other people.

considering if we had less govt control at the federal level (i.e. allowing states to invoke their own edicts to mandate companies in their jurisdiction to produce PPP) you could have made the case it would have been better than actively hampering our response. . . since we've ruined everything on a federal level and ultimately pacts of governors got the job done anyways i dont really see how the case for a strong govt is strengthened here

• Like 2

To everyone worried about a 'rise' in deaths over the past couple of days

There are predictable waves in weekly data, which likely has to do with when and how various state and local authorities authorize a death as being COVID related and then update their death numbers

The two ways you could look at this are:

- Compare deaths to what deaths have been same week day the last couple of weeks

- Look at 7 day trailing average

By both metrics, we are on the downswing still.  Yesterday was slightly higher than last Wednesday but significantly below Wednesday the 15th: 

image.png

Also remember that deaths are a lagging indicator. So if we peaked in deaths about 1-2 weeks ago, the peak in cases was probably closer to early April

EDIT: Based on this pattern we should expect the number may be slightly lower today although still potentially above 2k.  If we stay at roughly 10% below prior week that puts us at 2100.  My guess is it comes in a little lower based on where we stand so far.

Edited by mission27

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

considering if we had less govt control at the federal level (i.e. allowing states to invoke their own edicts to mandate companies in their jurisdiction to produce PPP) you could have made the case it would have been better than actively hampering our response. . . since we've ruined everything on a federal level and ultimately pacts of governors got the job done anyways i dont really see how the case for a strong govt is strengthened here

I'm not sure what in my post gave you the idea that I was only talking federal government.

https://www.acep.org/corona/COVID-19/covid-19-articles/acep-aaem-joint-statement-on-physician-misinformation/?fbclid=IwAR39EO7wOtEcklEgbhsOmK-PFStd3q2ql0uaLKB4ODNBSeLhAa9mE9oHcs8

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) jointly and emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.

I—for one—am shocked. 

• Like 2

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/dr-fauci-us-government-could-have-coronavirus-vaccine-by-january/

They want 300m doses of a vaccine produced in the US by next January... aka the goal is be ready to vaccinate everyone within a year of this hitting us

Might be the biggest scientific achievement of our lifetime if they can pull that off tbh

• Like 2

Just now, mission27 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/dr-fauci-us-government-could-have-coronavirus-vaccine-by-january/

They want 300m doses of a vaccine produced in the US by next January... aka the goal is be ready to vaccinate everyone within a year of this hitting us

Might be the biggest scientific achievement of our lifetime if they can pull that off tbh

The interesting thing is- will there be one vaccine or multiple vaccines? The Oxford one is promising. I also heard Pfizer and J&J are trying to mass produce vaccines in the coming year. The one out of Oxford seems like a safe option. I'm not sure about the other two. 

Still, it's going to be interesting to see which one reigns supreme. Of course, a bunch will fail, so maybe there will only be one standing at the end.

27 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

The interesting thing is- will there be one vaccine or multiple vaccines? The Oxford one is promising. I also heard Pfizer and J&J are trying to mass produce vaccines in the coming year. The one out of Oxford seems like a safe option. I'm not sure about the other two. 

Still, it's going to be interesting to see which one reigns supreme. Of course, a bunch will fail, so maybe there will only be one standing at the end.

I can tell you for a fact that having a working vaccine by January would not only be a miracle, but would also be a risk as well. None of the vaccine's are even close to finishing their phase three trials yet and most drugs who get to this point fail anyways. That's why there are so many vaccines in the works....because until you get to phase three, a lot of treatments LOOK promising, but don't follow through by actually working or are deemed to have too many dangerous side effects to be a feasible option. Johnson and Johnson are actually closer than Oxford at this point as Oxford has just now found a manufacturing partner for their phase three trials in Astrazeneca, while J and J found one earlier this month and has already started cell production. But the drug production itself takes a while....a month and a half to simply start testing on that scale. One of the 50 or so vaccines in the works right now throughout the world will work, but having it by January is just him spreading positivity and hope. 

• Like 1