Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yep

Well hes already getting sued by the county and Huntington Beach I believe. This is gonna be ugly 

Edit: and OC sheriff says they wont even enforce the ban lol

There is no active hot spot in California. There is no reason California should be behind the entire rest of the world in opening up and actually actively adding restrictions. Lombardy, Italy is re-opening and yet California's governor is telling people they wont be able to get a haircut for months or play baseball games sans fans until 2021. He's off the deep end

With all due respect we are discussing this virus on a discussion forum. Elected officials don’t have the luxury of assumptions and they’re ultimately accountable for the decisions they make. Other states opening is irrelevant to other states actions. You don’t want to fall into the trap of following someone else off a cliff. Italy didn’t exactly get the response right and it remains to be seen if opening is the right course of action.

You  mention no active hot spot in California which in my opinion is a result of decisions undertaken early in the pandemic. I expect the Governor doesn’t want to undo  the states early success. People can complain all they want but judging from pictures of beaches in OC a little responsibility probably avoids this action.

Seasonality and the effects of sunlight on transmission are assumptions at this point. The MoL is great work but it’s no substitute for actual science. Leading experts have warned summer likely won’t kill off the virus. 

So in fairness to the Governor he has the responsibility and accountability. It’s of no consequence if a bunch of people having a discussion are wrong. The costs to the state of California are real and it’s far better to err on the side of safety than negligence.

I found this article interesting. Osterholm is also one of the individuals leading a group in vaccine development.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/health/report-covid-two-more-years/index.html

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

Youre a naiive dude who is too optimistic cause he is greedy in the stock market and calls himself smug like its a good thing

Is he too optimistic, or are you too pessimistic? 🤔 

I'm thinking probably a bit of both tbh

34 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Is he too optimistic, or are you too pessimistic? 🤔 

I'm thinking probably a bit of both tbh

Our country just had the Equvalent of the vietnam war condensed to a 2 month time period and are still continuing to experience about 2/3 of a 9/11 a day and im the pessimistic one 

thats asinine

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

When people in this thread said wed never hit the 60k death projections that our govt said wed hit by august

yet we hit them last week

i dont know who those people were, but werent we told hundrends of thousands of people would die? (The answer is yes).

Your post is weird tbh. Like are you arguing it isnt significantly less deadly than we were told it was?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i dont know who those people were, but werent we told hundrends of thousands of people would die? (The answer is yes).

Your post is weird tbh. Like are you arguing it isnt significantly less deadly than we were told it was?

no my post is that ya'll need a sense of perspective.  this **** is bad.  saying that it is bad isnt me being pessimistic.  it is bad. it will be bad for a long time.  deal with it.

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

wulda kept to myself about it too but someone tried to subtweet me and after a bad nights sleep and waking up at 5 am i got baited into it.  but, shrug, still worthwhile

I deleted my twitter app when **** hit the fan and it's been phenomenal.

• Like 1

There is one thing I'm very confident in after seeing how people are handling all this... If there is ever another extremely severe virus. Something with both a very high R0 and a very high CFR... Like another black death type scenario..I don't see society managing to survive as it is. I'm pretty confident the world would descend into pure chaos...we can barely hold our crap together for this virus and while it is a bad one when you compare it to some of those humanity has suffered in the past this is nothing. 

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

Our country just had the Equvalent of the vietnam war condensed to a 2 month time period and are still continuing to experience about 2/3 of a 9/11 a day and im the pessimistic one 

thats asinine

The people who died in the Vietnam war were 19 year olds with their whole life ahead of them.  It matters

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Youre a naiive dude who is too optimistic cause he is greedy in the stock market and calls himself smug like its a good thing

I dont have any money in the markets right now, outside of my investment in Gilead. I think the market is extremely overvalued atm

48 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

He has amnesia to a month ago when he was telling us it would grow exponentially infect everyone and we'd all be dead tbh

Just now, mission27 said:

He has amnesia to a month ago when he was telling us it would grow exponentially infect everyone and we'd all be dead tbh

yeah, literally never said we'd all be dead.  also said this was not a world ending event.  just said it would be bad.  and even *with* social distancing, and a nationwide-ish lockdown for 2 months we're STILL growing at a linear rate of cases.  not great.