Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I would counter that every corona virus that became compatible with humans is an example of a virus mutating to become more deadly after long stability periods in other animals. They all had to have an antigenic drift The ability for a mutation to occur isn't based on anything but genetics. Sometimes degradation can cause mutation, sometimes recombination can occur to cause a huge genetic change. 

I'm not sure where you are getting the mutation numbers from at this point because we haven't really seen anything come out yet that I have seen and RNA virus's tend to have higher mutation rates than other virus strains. Your number of one in a million may be correct, I definitely don't have the data from this virus to make an accurate guess but even so, the more people who get the virus, the more likely a favorable mutation can occur. 

4 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

I would counter that every corona virus that became compatible with humans is an example of a virus mutating to become more deadly after long stability periods in other animals. They all had to have an antigenic drift The ability for a mutation to occur isn't based on anything but genetics. Sometimes degradation can cause mutation, sometimes recombination can occur to cause a huge genetic change. 

I'm not sure where you are getting the mutation numbers from at this point because we haven't really seen anything come out yet that I have seen and RNA virus's tend to have higher mutation rates than other virus strains. Your number of one in a million may be correct, I definitely don't have the data from this virus to make an accurate guess but even so, the more people who get the virus, the more likely a favorable mutation can occur. 

e.g. this:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutation-rate.html

I'm certainly not qualified to vet this but I've seen similar takes in a bunch of different publications 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What happens if you have an overwhelming physical dependency on caffeine?

From personal experience, you'd have a coffee, and regret it. Because it will make you double over in pain, whilst suffering from the other symptoms that the lovely covid brings.

Then around 16 days later you tentatively have a coffee, that you can't taste anyway because covid has ****ed you, and then you don't sleep that night.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

e.g. this:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutation-rate.html

I'm certainly not qualified to vet this but I've seen similar takes in a bunch of different publications 

That's interesting but also an early diagnosis I would say. We have years of data on the flu strains and their mutation rates, but only months of data on this virus. I would say that giving yearly mutation rates is a little premature but the basis is at least interesting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mega Ron said:

From personal experience, you'd have a coffee, and regret it. Because it will make you double over in pain, whilst suffering from the other symptoms that the lovely covid brings.

Then around 16 days later you tentatively have a coffee, that you can't taste anyway because covid has ****ed you, and then you don't sleep that night.

This virus is a goddamn scourge.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
3 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

You'd have one coffee and then wouldn't let caffeine near your for weeks.

What happens if you have an overwhelming physical dependency on caffeine?

Tbh mission had suspect corona a couple months ago and powered through it with caffeine and alcohol galore, with the result being only mild cardiac symptoms and collapsing 1 time, which is below my baseline rate for any given week

But its different for anyone

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Sorry to bump this. Although, I'm not really.

If you get this, avoid coffee, sleep on your front or side, do the breathing exercises from this video.

Also, I appreciate that this seems like real lo-fi advice, but it really works.

13 minutes ago, animaltested said:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-seattle-new-york-responses.html

#SeattleSoSmug

Washington gave the rest of the country the blueprint. But nobody listened.

Congrats to Seattle
In the article, they say the first reported case was late January - but the first positive test was on New Year's Day so it was already there for a few weeks before the sheet really hit the fan. And as we see over and over, some politicians don't listen to the medical experts and then we all pay the price.

• Like 1