Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Will they provide any additional protection for you guys to make it a safer / more sterile environment? 

I know that our corporate offices will be doing changes to some of the physical portions of the store (adding a plexiglass barrier for one) and I'm sure a lot of the things we changed before closing will still be enforced.  Again, I'm just worried about the sheer volume of people coming in and out on a daily basis.  I also don't trust the mall management to do proper sanitizing and cleaning- they weren't doing that before we were shut down, so why worry about it now? 

• Like 1

Yea, this is going to be an issue. A lot of these thing I do not believe were taken into consideration when everything was handled the way it was. There are parts of NJ that are limiting (I do not believe this is government order rather store preference) the amount of food people can buy and of course all that is doing is causing panic and mass hoarding of food now while the papers goods are finally getting stocked back (with really weird brands).  I saw a lady buying 4 hams this morning, it was wild.  

So I'm in a pretty rural area and the local supermarket has put a limit on just about everything.  I went in there for a few things on Wednesday and saw all of the meat had limits on it.  I walked through the drink aisle, and gatorades, water and soda all had limits.  

The Giant, Weis and Safeway all have limits on toilet paper but that's it, and those are 20 minutes away from me in either direction, so this local place gets a good amount of business.  They just don't have the storage space either, so that's why a lot of other things are limited.  

The panic buying started a few weeks ago with the frozen food sections cleared out.  I can barely find a decent frozen pizza (always kept 2 on hand just in case), ice cream was out for over a week, all of the frozen fries/hashbrowns were gone, most of breakfast was gone, and just about all of the frozen veggies were gone.  I'm pretty sure it is also going to be near-impossible to find a chest freezer right now.  Thankfully my grandmother and mom have plenty of food space if I need to stash anything. 

I can imagine that at least the meat sections will have limits at the big stores as that supply chain is currently being disrupted. 

• Like 2

So I can share some insights from my wife's initial experiences (she rotates hospitals and rehab centers).  A lot of the rehab patients come from the nursing home facilities.  What was happening in the beginning when everything was still a ----show was old man Jones would get sick with COVID symptoms, get sent to the hospital for testing, end up sitting around at the hospital, get the test, test negative, get sent back to the rehab facility and/or home all the while they ended up contracting COVID while at the hospital, fast forward a week they are sick again and this time test positive and boom, it has already spread like wildfire.  

A lot of the homes were handled poorly because they did not really have the testing and the capacity at the time in the hard hit areas.  Also, a lot of these sick people need extra precautions given potentially underlying issues and some of that stuff was either not being done or being ignored during the hysteria.  

Thanks for sharing.  

Just knowing about how this affected the elderly, it doesn't give MD, PA or VA much leeway right now.  I guess the cat is out of the bag so to speak, so what's going to happen is going to happen, but I really would like to see us take better care of the elderly in these facilities.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Whats asinine about a little perspective? Because those are bonafide indisputible facts.

washington is saying now that they hope only 100k die.  Since theyve been exceedingly optimistic on everything so far coronavirus related, lets see if theyre right this time

hint: they wont be

150 million people will be facing starvation by the end of the year according to the UN.  That is just their projection for food shortages related to Covid-19.  That isn't stating the current levels of starvation in the world, and how we already have problems providing for those people already.  Now those systems are taking on more and more people, with less people/organizations/government putting into them.  Like everything else, there is going to be a breaking point.  

Not saying we should rush things, but getting back to some kind of normal is going to have a ripple effect beyond just us in the US.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

150 million people will be facing starvation by the end of the year according to the UN.  That is just their projection for food shortages related to Covid-19.  That isn't stating the current levels of starvation in the world, and how we already have problems providing for those people already.  Now those systems are taking on more and more people, with less people/organizations/government putting into them.  Like everything else, there is going to be a breaking point.  

Not saying we should rush things, but getting back to some kind of normal is going to have a ripple effect beyond just us in the US.  

The problem is you are insinuating that we never should have shut down at all. That's simply not true. The fact that food supply chains are even being talked about like this rather than "we are already at 50 million cases" is what is important here

I believe food will be available to those that need it in the us. I can't speak to third world countries, that's unfortunate but somewhat unavoidable. 

We took the only steps we could. We had no choice but to shut down, and shut down fast. 

The problem with your logic is that it is circular. It relies on the premise that the virus didn't spread exponentially, and that because it didn't, we could have taken half measures and been better off today than we are right now. That's simply false. Anything less than the appropriate response (shut down immediately) would have put us in a very bad spot. 

I feel like this is what the "it's not that bad" crowd doesn't seem to grasp. It's not that bad because we flattened the curve. Now that we have flattened the curve and understand more about the virus, we are able to take measured risks with the knowledge that we may have to go back to square one at a moment's notice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What is the context of this figure? Does it presume constant social distancing, or limited supply capacity, etc?

Because this could easily be a "2-3 million Americans will die of COVID-19 if nothing is done" type prediction of the worst case scenario, and if so, we may be able to bring that number way, way, way down before the end of the year.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Also, parts of NY may enter phase one of easing lock-downs on May 15. At the hospital I work at in western NY we dropped from 55 cases to 47 cases in the last week. I expect it to steadily decrease over the next few weeks, so we may meet the guidelines of entering phase one. Which i believe is 10+ days of decreasing cases. I wonder what phase one looks like?

Edited by WizeGuy

13 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Also, parts of NY may enter phase one of easing lock-downs on May 15. At the hospital I work at in western NY we dropped from 55 cases to 47 cases in the last week. I expect it to steadily decrease over the next few weeks, so we may meet the guidelines of entering phase one. Which i believe is 10+ days of decreasing cases. I wonder what phase one looks like?

Phase one is steal underpants

16 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

516 nursing home deaths in Maryland from Covid-19.  Our confirmed death count, updated this morning, is 1098.  Per an article yesterday, 65% of Pennsylvania deaths have occurred at nursing homes. I also believe Virginia's latest number was close to 50% as well.  For one, I'm glad my grandmother never went into one.  If she did, I would've taken her out when this first got to our country.  One of my employees did the same thing when her mom was in a rehab center.  Second, at least in Maryland, they are locking the doors in the nursing homes instead of trying to spread these people out and trying to isolate cases.  I know some of them can not be moved effectively, but some can, and we've got to save lives, right?  Third, I wonder if this is the case in most states, and what that means for arguments for/against reopening jobs.

Anywhere people are packed in, the % of COVID19 cases will increase above the norm. Nursing homes, prisons....people packed in with  limited movement, physical activity (and decreased immune systems). This "density concept" can easily be extrapolated to theaters, sports arenas etc - but these forums will act more like distribution centers as their people aren't a "captive audience."

8 hours ago, mission27 said:
8 hours ago, mistakey said:

There will be states that reopen but lots will die.

Every state will re-open before there is a vaccine

I don't think it will be as bad this time around. Masks are more common place, and people are being more careful about who they have close contact with and washing hands, etc. Don't know if this is nationwide, but my Menards is requiring a mask to enter the store. This will become more common. 

Basically what I'm saying is, opening things up will lead to more cases. But not at the exponential rate we saw previously. I don't see a reason to panic about things opening up, and frankly the more I've gone out, the more comfortable I am because of how cautious I see other people being. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

I would be careful about trusting a lot of stuff coming out of Sweden right now. 

Agreed, but CMMID has them at .9 and Ferguson has them slightly above 1. Not exactly sure how credible those sources are, but it was mentioned on Reddit and provided sources.

Just now, WizeGuy said:

Agreed, but CMMID has them at .9 and Ferguson has them slightly above 1. Not exactly sure how credible those sources are, but it was mentioned on Reddit and provided sources.

Those numbers probably came from info given to them by Anders Tegnell and that guy is not known for his honesty. I hope they are getting better and their numbers are going down but Sweden made some terrible decisions which not only made it bad for their people, but also for some of their neighbors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

Those numbers probably came from info given to them by Anders Tegnell and that guy is not known for his honesty. I hope they are getting better and their numbers are going down but Sweden made some terrible decisions which not only made it bad for their people, but also for some of their neighbors. 

The real issue with Sweden is the senior living facilities tbh.  The nursing homes are where the deaths are.

They have shown that under certain circumstances, more limited distancing measures and allowing the disease to play out will not necessarily overwhelm the healthcare system because most people under the age of 70 do not get seriously ill, and that is an important take away.  But locking up your seniors in nursing homes without proper precautions and letting them die is messed up.  Need to do more there.

• Like 1