Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is definitely the case in Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan, yesterday was a really nice day and people just did not give a damn about the stay at home orders anymore (well technically Indiana has reopened but Michigan has not)

4 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

This is definitely the case in Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan, yesterday was a really nice day and people just did not give a damn about the stay at home orders anymore (well technically Indiana has reopened but Michigan has not)

Yeah, my friend manages an Ace Hardware and their local stores for their owner were super busy yesterday here in Maryland.  Lots of reports of people out too in similar ways.  

Also in my community, more and more kids are getting together and congregating all around the community too.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, my friend manages an Ace Hardware and their local stores for their owner were super busy yesterday here in Maryland.  Lots of reports of people out too in similar ways.  

Also in my community, more and more kids are getting together and congregating all around the community too.  

I'm in Baltimore and I saw it first hand. Literal crowds of people out everywhere. Almost no one as wearing a mask. 

5 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

I'm in Baltimore and I saw it first hand. Literal crowds of people out everywhere. Almost no one as wearing a mask. 

Not great but incredibly predictable tbh.

Lockdown is breaking for the same reason "no sex is safe sex" and the 18th amendment and the war on drugs didn't work. 

There's a limit to what people will put up with. Its been almost 2 months and people are getting to their breaking point.  Lockdowns will not be viable much longer in Europe and North America and other places that locked down in mid-March and I have a hard time believing you will be able to bring them back again for future waves.  If you demand the most extreme response, people will eventually get fatigued and give up, we need to find a middle ground that people can tolerate.

IMO that means shifting to communicating what people can do to reduce risk and investing in things like masks, hand sanitizer, etc. to get ready for the reality where people are returning to their lives, rather than continuing to tell people to stay home.  Thankfully most places are moving towards sensible re-opening now, but we need to stay focused on public policies that work for people, not just for health, and do our best to get buy-in from people on stuff like masks in a way that is tolerable. 

24 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Its impossible to talk about Trump without getting political tbh but whatever you think of him, I dont think anyone on here is or was using him as a source on likely COVID death count

I think youre mistaken

COVID-19 Human Challenge Trials

Human challenge trials deliberately expose participants to infection, in order to study diseases and test vaccines or treatments. They have been used for influenza, malaria, typhoid, dengue fever, and cholera. Researchers are exploring whether human challenge trials could speed up the development of a vaccine for COVID-19, saving thousands or even millions of lives.

https://1daysooner.org/

• Like 2

Just now, TVScout said:

COVID-19 Human Challenge Trials

Human challenge trials deliberately expose participants to infection, in order to study diseases and test vaccines or treatments. They have been used for influenza, malaria, typhoid, dengue fever, and cholera. Researchers are exploring whether human challenge trials could speed up the development of a vaccine for COVID-19, saving thousands or even millions of lives.

https://1daysooner.org/

Should absolutely be done.  You would have plenty of volunteers.  

50 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Not great but incredibly predictable tbh.

Lockdown is breaking for the same reason "no sex is safe sex" and the 18th amendment and the war on drugs didn't work. 

There's a limit to what people will put up with. Its been almost 2 months and people are getting to their breaking point.  Lockdowns will not be viable much longer in Europe and North America and other places that locked down in mid-March and I have a hard time believing you will be able to bring them back again for future waves.  If you demand the most extreme response, people will eventually get fatigued and give up, we need to find a middle ground that people can tolerate.

IMO that means shifting to communicating what people can do to reduce risk and investing in things like masks, hand sanitizer, etc. to get ready for the reality where people are returning to their lives, rather than continuing to tell people to stay home.  Thankfully most places are moving towards sensible re-opening now, but we need to stay focused on public policies that work for people, not just for health, and do our best to get buy-in from people on stuff like masks in a way that is tolerable. 

Not every state was in lockdown for 2 months though. Georgia closed for what, 2 weeks?

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Not every state was in lockdown for 2 months though. Georgia closed for what, 2 weeks?

Full lockdown sure but most major metros even places like Dallas and Atlanta were shutting businesses and schools and telling people to stay home starting in mid to late March and a lot of people and businesses were doing so voluntarily even earlier.  For most Americans who live in urban or suburban areas this is about week 7 or 8 of staying home and for some longer.  If people see no end in sight they are going to crack and/or stop caring.  

Remember the White House "15 days to stop the spread" started on March 16th, then we had another 30 days, we are talking about over a month and a half now where the federal government has encouraged people to put their entire lives on hold to flatten the curve.  That's a long time.  

People in rural areas and low population density states haven't had to make as much of a life adjustments but cases are lower in these places outside of isolated hot spots so we don't have to be as worried about whether someone in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska is wearing a mask the same way we do in major population centers.