Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

When they count flu deaths isn’t it an average every year because it is 100%
impossible to get a real number? 

Why can’t it be true that on one hand they over counted covid deaths for cases where someone was “presumed” and also under counted deaths of people who died at home and were never tested but very well could of had the virus...thus making the current count somewhat of an average? 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/how-cdc-estimates.htm

• Like 1

Lots of talk about counting death a few pages ago. The problem is, we suck at counting deaths normally anyways.

This is dated a month ago but it still carries the same weight in regards to identifying cause of death. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/25/coronavirus-death-toll-hard-track-1-3-death-certificates-wrong/3020778001/

A review of Missouri hospitals in 2017, for example, found nearly half of death certificates listed an incorrect cause of death. A Vermont study found 51% of death certificates had major errors. Nearly half of the physicians the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention surveyed in 2010 admitted that they knowingly reported an inaccurate cause of death.

So yeah it's tough to trust anything regarding death before corona and certainly now. 

• Like 3

The virus has finally hit home for me.  We've got...triple digits active cases locally now.  And by that...i mean...3.  But also, imma take 'er easy and wear a bandito mask for the next while and keep on as i was.  Distancing appropriately, and just generally not leaving the house except to gather supplies weekly.  Or run down a trail that is totally abandoned.  Or whatever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

Its really not a large portion, its a vocal minority of clowns who are the same people who always cause trouble about literally everything. If 80% of people wear masks and we don't have mass gatherings we will be ok.  Maybe not ideal, but ok

This ^^^^^

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

The only silver lining with churches is church attendance is much higher in rural communities, so its not as much of an issue in urban areas where we are most concerned about massive outbreaks

Everything's to scale however and the rural communities have lesser healthcare capacities as well.

Frankly, I dont get the whole "need to go to church to worship" thing. I'm not a practitioner, so there's that - but what substantive difference is there getting together when it could endanger lives versus quietly worshiping your god at home? Seems more like a political statement than an actual need to "worship."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

The virus has finally hit home for me.  We've got...triple digits active cases locally now.  And by that...i mean...3.  But also, imma take 'er easy and wear a bandito mask for the next while and keep on as i was.  Distancing appropriately, and just generally not leaving the house except to gather supplies weekly.  Or run down a trail that is totally abandoned.  Or whatever.

Meanwhile we just crossed 100 total cases... in our township.

9 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Now let’s let’s see them do that for cancer, flu, car accidents, gang violence, domestic abuse, etc. 

You realize there’s a very real possibility this gets up to 250-300,000 deaths? 

Would you have made similar comments after WWII?

• Like 1

Antibody that inhibits the new coronavirus discovered in patient who had SARS 17 years ago | Live Science
https://www.livescience.com/sars-antibody-inhibits-new-coronavirus.html

More evidence that past infections due to coronaviruses may cause some immunity. This, imo, is great news not only for COVID-19, but may also be beneficial to future coronavirus outbreaks. 

I dont think the study has been peer reviewed yet, so it doesnt hold the same merit as the previous study i posted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

You realize there’s a very real possibility this gets up to 250-300,000 deaths? 

Would you have made similar comments after WWII?

The Americans who died in WWII were young people with their whole lives ahead of them

Many of the people dying now are those peoples friends, who got to live an extra 75 years

Its still sad but its a lot difference... years of life lost matters

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article242957701.html

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services announced Saturday that it had combined antibody and viral coronavirus testing data, creating an artificially lower percentage of positive tests in the state.

The CDC gave “specific instructions” to staff to report combined testing data, DHSS spokeswoman Lisa Cox said, but that leadership did not learn of the directions until Thursday night.

“We would have never imagined that they would’ve been advised to combine this data when reporting to them,” Cox said.

During a Thursday press conference, when Williams was asked if statewide testing data included antibody tests, he said those numbers did not.

“About four states have gotten in a lot of trouble because they tried to conflate their numbers, I think to drive up their numbers, and we don’t do that here in Missouri.” Williams said.

Williams said in a statement that he was “very concerned” that the CDC had advised the staff to combine the test results.

really cant wait until we can trust our govt again

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services announced Saturday that it had combined antibody and viral coronavirus testing data, creating an artificially lower percentage of positive tests in the state.

The CDC gave “specific instructions” to staff to report combined testing data, DHSS spokeswoman Lisa Cox said, but that leadership did not learn of the directions until Thursday night.

“We would have never imagined that they would’ve been advised to combine this data when reporting to them,” Cox said.

During a Thursday press conference, when Williams was asked if statewide testing data included antibody tests, he said those numbers did not.

“About four states have gotten in a lot of trouble because they tried to conflate their numbers, I think to drive up their numbers, and we don’t do that here in Missouri.” Williams said.

Williams said in a statement that he was “very concerned” that the CDC had advised the staff to combine the test results.

Again? That's funny...

8 minutes ago, mistakey said:

You might be waiting a while