Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article242957701.html

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services announced Saturday that it had combined antibody and viral coronavirus testing data, creating an artificially lower percentage of positive tests in the state.

The CDC gave “specific instructions” to staff to report combined testing data, DHSS spokeswoman Lisa Cox said, but that leadership did not learn of the directions until Thursday night.

“We would have never imagined that they would’ve been advised to combine this data when reporting to them,” Cox said.

During a Thursday press conference, when Williams was asked if statewide testing data included antibody tests, he said those numbers did not.

“About four states have gotten in a lot of trouble because they tried to conflate their numbers, I think to drive up their numbers, and we don’t do that here in Missouri.” Williams said.

Williams said in a statement that he was “very concerned” that the CDC had advised the staff to combine the test results.

really cant wait until we can trust our govt again

Hospitals aren't reporting either. The governor said during a few press conferences that only about 1/3 of the hospitals reported their numbers. Now if that was the same 1/3 reporting or if hospitals only reported on certain days, who knows.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

Lake of the Ozarks this weekend. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

The numbers from Memorial Day Weekend two weeks from now are going to be a key indicator for sure.  I've heard I-95, which is a huge travel route on the east coast, has been absolutely nuts this weekend.  In Maryland, Ocean City is a popular destination, and the hotels are open (been so for two weeks) and the Bay Bridge traffic was horrendous.  

15 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The numbers from Memorial Day Weekend two weeks from now are going to be a key indicator for sure.  I've heard I-95, which is a huge travel route on the east coast, has been absolutely nuts this weekend.  In Maryland, Ocean City is a popular destination, and the hotels are open (been so for two weeks) and the Bay Bridge traffic was horrendous.  

It's either going to go great or horribly wrong. I'm hoping for the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

It is possible to determine who got infected first.

Perhaps but the question isn't how got infected first, the question is if the other 83 got infected from the 1 or if there were multiple external points of infection

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cincinnati area.

We didn’t get hit hard as our governor was very proactive and now people dgaf.

When I said 30%, I mean in stores, not just waking around.  One store had a mask requesting people wear a mask.  90% of store employees didn’t have masks covering their nose as I’m sure it wasn’t comfortable.

Im surrounded by ignorant morons.

It's annoying to me as well for the same reasons. But if what I've been reading is true, then the people that were wearing masks more during the lockdown have started doing the opposite now that their states have "reopened". That Bloomberg article I posted a couple pages back used one restaurant as an example.

Additionally, like @naptownskinsfan keeps mentioning, there's no coordinated guidance on what to do. Now I understand that each state and each city/county is different, but there has to be better communication as well as guidelines based on science if we're going to get over this thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Perhaps but the question isn't how got infected first, the question is if the other 83 got infected from the 1 or if there were multiple external points of infection

All of the above.

The authorities trace and test.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

It's annoying to me as well for the same reasons. But if what I've been reading is true, then the people that were wearing masks more during the lockdown have started doing the opposite now that their states have "reopened". That Bloomberg article I posted a couple pages back used one restaurant as an example.

Additionally, like @naptownskinsfan keeps mentioning, there's no coordinated guidance on what to do. Now I understand that each state and each city/county is different, but there has to be better communication as well as guidelines based on science if we're going to get over this thing.

Gotta be really confusing and frustrating if some cities are closed, and you live within it, but the county line that might be a mile or less away is operating open.  I get that urban areas are going to be more affected by this, but usually that would entail the surrounding counties as well, such as what is happening to Maryland and VA with the counties that border Washington DC. 

• Like 1

So yeah, there's a little bit of concern that the CDC gave into political pressure:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/22/860981956/scientists-say-new-lower-cdc-estimates-for-severity-of-covid-19-are-optimistic

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week revised downward its estimates for future infections and deaths from the coronavirus, painting a picture of the pandemic that some scientists say is overly optimistic — and that plays into fears the agency could be responding to political pressure.

The CDC's latest fatality rates are in line with one set of estimates: those that John Ioannidis, a Stanford University professor of medicine, published in a not-yet-peer-reviewed analysis of antibody studies worldwide.

Ioannidis has championed a less cautious response to the coronavirus, earning kudos from those who favor swift reopenings, such as Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham, and criticism from many public health experts. He did not respond to a request for comment.

It is unclear whether the CDC's new parameters, which the agency said come from data it received before April 29, are based on test data that improperly mixed both antibody and viral results, as The Atlantic reported Thursday.

That mistake has raised suspicions among health experts that political considerations are marring the CDC's data since mixing the two types of tests made the nation's viral testing capacity look better than it is and confused the scientific picture of the virus.

"It's incomprehensible that the CDC's scientists would make such a rookie mistake that muddies their own data — unless politics is interfering with their ability to do their job," the Harvard Global Health Institute said in a newsletter Thursday.