Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not as simple as that.  It's one person trolling and making baseless accusations that bring this entire thread down.  We've got a literal Eric Cartman, PC Principal, Al Gore and every South Park caricature amalgamation handing out insults and accusations like some Jesus came back to the world reincarnated as a talking parrot cultist handing out pamphlets in a mall with impunity.  Makes this thread intolerable.  Everybody else has legitimate conversations.  Count, counterpoint.  There is one single person who cannot handle countering points of view and is as rigid as a ****** in a ****** plant. 

If you muted said person you wouldn’t see their posts

Big Brain move

I muted many posters from this thread months ago 

its been nice

• Like 1

Just now, Glen said:

If you muted said person you wouldn’t see their posts

Big Brain move

I muted many posters from this thread months ago 

its been nice

Muting doesn't work unless you do it the first time someone says something stupid.  Why?  Let me list the reasons:

1. It shows up as you're scrolling as "you have ignored so and so," so you see that someone stupid said something stupid and just knowing that a stupid something was said by someone stupid is enough to irritate.

2. When someone you have muted is quoted, you see it.  If there's one person getting quoted because of their baseless accusations, you're going to see it if they're muted or not. 

3. Seeing that you have ignored someone and seeing that they have posted is like driving by a car accident.  You can say, "Don't look, don't look, don't look," in your head as much as you want.  You're still gonna look. 

I would be such a better person on this site if blocking someone meant completely eliminating any sign of them. 

I'd like to know when people are making highly offensive assertions about TLO and I.  But I agree with bucs and others, this discussion is not productive and going forward I'm not going to engage & will focus on posting about football, coronavirus, and smugness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Even under normal circumstances this looks like a miserable time.  

It reminds me of my local waterpark where my mom lives.  Only public swimming place outdoors for 45-60 minutes, which is the same distance to a Six Flags.  It was jammed from an hour after open until close.  Thankfully a friend of mine worked there so the workers and friends could hang out after close (just not on the slides) 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Muting doesn't work unless you do it the first time someone says something stupid.  Why?  Let me list the reasons:

1. It shows up as you're scrolling as "you have ignored so and so," so you see that someone stupid said something stupid and just knowing that a stupid something was said by someone stupid is enough to irritate.

2. When someone you have muted is quoted, you see it.  If there's one person getting quoted because of their baseless accusations, you're going to see it if they're muted or not. 

3. Seeing that you have ignored someone and seeing that they have posted is like driving by a car accident.  You can say, "Don't look, don't look, don't look," in your head as much as you want.  You're still gonna look. 

I would be such a better person on this site if blocking someone meant completely eliminating any sign of them.

Sadly that is the limitation of BB code and the software we are one.  What we use (IPB) actually has the best ignore system out of all of them.  It would absolutely be easier if that nuked them entirely from your viewing but it's not the case.  I remember having vBulletin and the Ignore feature flat out sucked.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sadly that is the limitation of BB code and the software we are one.  What we use (IPB) actually has the best ignore system out of all of them.  It would absolutely be easier if that nuked them entirely from your viewing but it's not the case.  I remember having vBulletin and the Ignore feature flat out sucked.  

Tag some nerds to get that code fixed.  

Edited by Outpost31

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

1. If just seeing someone’s name triggers you then I’d recommend taking a break from the site.

2. Reading someone’s name first will help you decide if you want to read their post. If you read the post of someone you have muted then you’re just going to get upset.

3. If you’re still going to look at a post made by someone you muted then you either secretly enjoy reading their posts, or secretly enjoy responding their posts. I cannot help you if even you cannot help yourself.

Edited by Glen
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

1. If just seeing someone’s name triggers you then I’d recommend taking a break from the site.

2. Reading someone’s name first will help you decide if you want to read their post. If you read the post of someone you have muted then you’re just going to get upset.

3. If you’re still going to look at a post made by someone you muted then you either secretly enjoy reading their posts, or secretly enjoy responding their posts. I cannot help you if even you cannot help yourself.

I clearly have issues, and I think I’m fueled by rage.  I’m Outpost31, not malfatron.

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

@ET80 tell your people to get it together, they are going to ruin it for the rest of us.  This is getting picked up nationally. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/25/social-media-reacts-to-videos-of-overcrowded-pool-party-in-houston-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

I wish the media wouldn't spend so much time highlighting this behavior, when the vast majority of people are not acting like this

Clearly stupid though.  Its like people didn't see what happened in Miami in March.  No, you aren't likely to get sick outside on a hot day and you wont turn into New York City because of one pool party, but that doesn't make it smart behavior. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

@ET80 tell your people to get it together, they are going to ruin it for the rest of us.  This is getting picked up nationally. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/25/social-media-reacts-to-videos-of-overcrowded-pool-party-in-houston-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

I'm just pissed I wasn't invited.

I wouldn't have went, but an invite would have been nice.

Semi related - I'm getting estimates on a pool for my house. My kids love swimming, but I'm not going to trust our community pool this season (I shouldn't trust it ANY season, if we're being fair).

• Like 2