Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I'd be ok if Ohio mandated it but I'm following it while in public anyway so it's nothing different for me. Not one of those people who wear it when I'm walking my dog but if I go into stores, 100%. I'd love to see forced nationwide but not even close to everyone will listen even if threatened with fines. Hopefully Cali shows huge progress with this and people catch on and try it. 

11 hours ago, JonMcC2018 said:

The information has been out there for weeks. Here are the extrapolated results of antibody testing that was done in Spain over a month ago.

EYA3cNxXsAIeybE.jpg

Coronavirus is very bad for people in certain age demographics underlying health conditions. However for the vast majority of people Coronavirus is nothing to worry about. Every step and precaution should have been taken to protect those people likely to be worse affected by the virus, however for everyone else life should have gone on as normal.

There's been something very strange about the whole Coronavirus experience. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but the constant fear-mongering, click-baiting, finger pointing from the media has been a real eye opener. The Coronavirus has been a god send in terms of clicks for the various media outlets. The likes of Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, Google have also benefitted enormously. Fear, division etc equal views and clicks. Coronavirus sells.

Even the headlines which accompanied that Spanish study above were almost wholly negative, eg. 'Study shows that only 7% of population have contracted corona - 93% are still to get it!'.

Very helpful data!

Btw... as some may have noticed, MoL is transitioning to more of an every other day sort of thing. We will go back to every day if needed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

How is that enforced? Are they just banking on most people following it along with businesses enforcing it?

Maryland has enforced it since the beginning of our shutdown and it is still in force.  I've never seen anyone not following it in my travels out.  Businesses can and will enforce it if they need to, and I have yet to hear anything that's been a huge issue.  Of course, a whole lot of people don't like the rule- myself included- but I will comply for now.  If it's lifted, I will probably still wear one in an enclosed space for the foreseeable future, especially an area like a grocery store.  

Personally, my church is requiring it if you want to attend mass, and will turn people away if they are not wearing one and there aren't any extras.  Corporate at work is saying all employees and customers need to be wearing one as well.  We aren't going to start a fight with a customer and deny service, but we will try to get them out as quickly as possible.  

Here's a couple of notes I wrote up on trying to hit the target with Re-Purposed Drugs.

The graph below shows the drug concentration in your bloodstream over time. You're trying to hit the green part of the graph, the Therapeutic Window.
The way to read the graph is that you took your pill at the far left side, the concentration goes way up as it enters your bloodstream and then your body slowly clears it over time. If your prescription says: take twice a day, that means you're going through two of those cycles per day

As long your drug concentration is within this green window, you're getting a benefit. The drug is showing efficacy and you're getting better.
But if you don't have enough, it doesn't do squat and if you have too much, you're having side affects aka Adverse Events. Each human is different and so you have lots of variability; and even the same human is slightly different throughout the course of their life. Its a tough target to hit

Drugs that are re-purposed have shown efficacy inside that middle green area for the disease they were treating, for that set of humans - but a different disease might require more/less to treat it in a different set of humans

That's what we saw with Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine - both were useful vs other diseases, but in order to get enough of those drugs deep into the patients' lungs, you'd have to dose them into the pink zone below, becoming toxic. Cardio-toxic in the case of hydroxy

Hitting that green window is incredibly difficult across all different kinds of humans. Large/Small, male-female, smoker or not. Diabetic, heart problems, people taking blood pressure meds, athletes and couch potatoes. Ethnic differences, age differences, people who are just special.
There's a million variables and that's a part of what makes this stuff is so hard, and why it takes so long to develop new meds

Therapeutic-window...png&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'd be ok if Ohio mandated it but I'm following it while in public anyway so it's nothing different for me. Not one of those people who wear it when I'm walking my dog but if I go into stores, 100%. I'd love to see forced nationwide but not even close to everyone will listen even if threatened with fines. Hopefully Cali shows huge progress with this and people catch on and try it. 

I'll be honest, my wife and I don't wear them when we go for walks. We just walk to the other side of the road if we're about to cross paths with someone. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I'll be honest, my wife and I don't wear them when we go for walks. We just walk to the other side of the road if we're about to cross paths with someone. 

I only wear them in indoor public places but I also don't really go outside anyway

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I don't think any professional has ever recommended that wearing a mask in the situation you posed is necessary.  Your changes of infection just by walking past someone is really really really low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Yeah I don’t think they’re necessary for walking around the neighborhood, hiking at parks, etc.  Just keep your distance and you’re fine.

i wish they would be mandated for all indoor activities though other than dining.

• Like 2

I'm all for doing anything to prove me wrong about us getting college football this year but that's looking grim as time passes. Don't disagree either. NFL is next. Maybe if we're starting to have a firm grasp on everything come late summer, they can start the season later but not looking good right now. 

And we shouldn't be wearing masks out in the open anyway. We still need to prep our bodies for annual sicknesses anyway or it's gonna be a hell of a flu season (this is right to suggest, correct??). This last season was terribly bad also which leads me to believe rona was here already. Just read an article about findings in Italy that suggest the virus was present in the fall of last year around the country. 

32 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'm all for doing anything to prove me wrong about us getting college football this year but that's looking grim as time passes. Don't disagree either. NFL is next. Maybe if we're starting to have a firm grasp on everything come late summer, they can start the season later but not looking good right now. 

Soccer is going to be a great proxy for how dangerous football may be given the amount of time players spend right next to each other in each spot.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Soccer is going to be a great proxy for how dangerous football may be given the amount of time players spend right next to each other in each spot.

You're absolutely right. We also have to assume players will be taking the necessary precautions to remain safe during the days when there's no team activities. Given how well they've been handling it now, I'm not optimistic. I'm just banking on science for this one and the most aggressive forecasts are saying September for a vaccine so we'll see. As I've said before, I really hope I'm wrong and that's an understatement. 

5 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

You're absolutely right. We also have to assume players will be taking the necessary precautions to remain safe during the days when there's no team activities. Given how well they've been handling it now, I'm not optimistic. I'm just banking on science for this one and the most aggressive forecasts are saying September for a vaccine so we'll see. As I've said before, I really hope I'm wrong and that's an understatement. 

I don't know if we have to assume perfect compliance, or that USA footballers would be any worse behaved than UK or EU footballers. They're all (mostly) good looking, 20 something, mega rich walking egos who haven't been grounded since they were 6 and are now being forced to stay inside. 

Ideally, Christiano Ronaldo or some player gets caught partying it up on a yacht or something, but is tested positive and quarantined prior to spreading it to teammates. That's proof of concept that the "bubble" is actually something that we can enforce and not just a segment of the population trying to shoot the moon that no one ends up with COVID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

And we shouldn't be wearing masks out in the open anyway. We still need to prep our bodies for annual sicknesses anyway or it's gonna be a hell of a flu season (this is right to suggest, correct??). This last season was terribly bad also which leads me to believe rona was here already. Just read an article about findings in Italy that suggest the virus was present in the fall of last year around the country. 

I read this article. Its not peer reviewed, but it MAY have been around as early as August last year...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/satellite-images-of-wuhan-may-suggest-coronavirus-was-spreading-as-early-as-august-1.4975822

In October 2019 i was knocked out for 2 weeks with all the symptoms, chills/fever/fatigue/sore throat, as well as a really persistent and extremely uncomfortable cough that didn't respond to medicine at all. I mean i get sick once or twice a year on average, couple of days, but i hadn't gotten that sick for that long in maybe 5 years. 

I know a lot of my coworkers were very sick in December as well...it'll be interesting to see how many people have actually had it once the antibody tests are more available

Daily updates.

This is free for sure:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/19/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

The rest maybe free:

People probably caught coronavirus from minks. That’s a wake-up call to study infections in animals, researchers say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/06/19/humans-may-have-caught-coronavirus-mink-thats-wake-up-call-study-infections-animals-researchers-say/

When, why and how to wear a mask during this pandemic, according to the experts

Here’s what you need to know:

• Public health experts say you need to wear masks outside, especially when near other people.
  • Available research shows wearing masks and social distancing appear to limit the spread of the virus.
  • Disposable surgical masks or reusable cloth masks are ideal for everyday use. N95 masks, and other medical-grade respirators, should be reserved for health-care professionals.
  • Masks should completely cover your mouth and nose with a snug (but not tight) fit.

A review funded by the World Health Organization and published in the scientific journal Lancet earlier this month concluded staying at least three feet from others and wearing face masks does appear to limit the transmission of the coronavirus. A separate study from Cambridge and Greenwich universities found mass-adoption of face masks could even prevent a second wave of the disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/18/face-mask-covid-coronavirus/?utm_campaign=wp_for_you&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_personalizedforyou

The Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.nytimes.com/news-event/coronavirus?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200618&instance_id=19520&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31288&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1