Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 hours ago, N4L said:

It's not profitable and at that point the restaurant might be better off closed 

2.1 mol for the us is an absolute joke. That implies we are doing well. Sure, it's a large country, but a huge spike in several metropolitan areas like we are experiencing should be considered. The potential for exponential growth is there. Your non forward predicting model doesn't account for population density and is not predictive in any way. Therefore, it's a flawed metric and does very little to actually accurately articulate corona data. Vis-à-vis it's a bad metric and should be be put out to pasture 

Most restaurants ended up doing some sort of carry out and curbside service, as well as opening outdoor dining.  In Maryland, restrictions were relaxed on alcohol to go, and Annapolis and Baltimore closed streets down so restaurants could have outdoor seating when that started a few weeks ago.  

I get that it might not be as profitable as 50%, but right now, safety should trump profits.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

It's not profitable and at that point the restaurant might be better off closed 

2.1 mol for the us is an absolute joke. That implies we are doing well. Sure, it's a large country, but a huge spike in several metropolitan areas like we are experiencing should be considered. The potential for exponential growth is there. Your non forward predicting model doesn't account for population density and is not predictive in any way. Therefore, it's a flawed metric and does very little to actually accurately articulate corona data. Vis-à-vis it's a bad metric and should be be put out to pasture 

Wrong

• Like 1

Good news??

https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/health/good-news-glenmark-launches-covid-19-drug-favipiravir-in-india-after-dcgi-approval

We have a few things looking good for severe cases but nothing for mild case which could obviously go a long way as those are the vast majority of cases.

Not sure how reputable this is though so I'm asking, not sharing lol

https://www.glenmarkpharma.com/sites/default/files/Glenmark-becomes-the-first-pharmaceut-cal-company-in-India-to-receive.pdf

"Favipiravir shows clinical improvements of up to 88% in COVID-19, with rapid reduction in viral load by 4 days"

This could be huge, right? IF, yes, I'm aware, IF

Edited by JTagg7754

Free:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

Blood plasma from people who recovered is a safe covid-19 treatment, study says

The study of 20,000 hospitalized patients who received transfusions suggested it might be effective

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/18/blood-plasma-people-who-recovered-is-safe-covid-19-treatment-study-says/?utm_campaign=wp_for_you&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_personalizedforyou

Maybe free:

Italian scientists report traces of virus in sewage samples collected in December.

Italian scientists on Friday said they found traces of the virus in samples of sewage water collected in December, further suggesting that the virus was already circulating in the country months before the outbreak at the end of February.

Researchers at the Italian National Institute of Health discovered the presence of the RNA of the virus in samples taken in the northern cities of Milan and Turin on Dec. 18, more than two months before the country’s first case was diagnosed on Feb 20. Traces were also found in samples from the city of Bologna, about 125 miles (200 kilometers) south of Milan, on Jan. 29.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/world/coronavirus-live-updates.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200619&instance_id=19563&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31396&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1#link-6fb3d65b

The Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.nytimes.com/news-event/coronavirus?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200619&instance_id=19563&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31396&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I get that it might not be as profitable as 50%, but right now, safety should trump profits

I really dislike when people dismiss economics like it doesn't matter. 

Economics are how we feed 7 billion people on this planet. It can't just be dismissed out of hand for safety. We take risks every day to do the things we do. Safety is not #1. That's a lie, and will always be a lie. 

Anyway, sorry. You're probably not saying that exactly. I just needed to vent. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, vikesfan89 said:

A while back someone had suggested that sitting  in saunas could help against viruses. I have no idea if that's true and was going to look into it but wouldn't that be similar

In general great for your health. Only thing I miss about cutting my gym membership (not that’d I’d be able to go anyways). Sauna and steam room are great. 

Edit, I guess I forgot just how triggered some clowns can be in this thread...I don’t mean immune system when I say health. 

Edited by acowboys62

On 6/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, WizeGuy said:

Yes, but he wasn't the only one. Apparently he was following the federal guidelines. Still, many other governors seemed to have the foresight to say "this isn't a good idea". I haven't read much into it. Both sides are pointing the finger, per the usual, so it's hard to distinguish between fact and fabrication unless you research it heavily. 

Is this in regards to the nursing home issues? 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, theJ said:

This is a whole different discussion.  Because by and large, the people that really need to do what you're saying can't afford it.  Processed food is cheap, and easy.  But mainly cheap.  Try telling a family of 5 that makes less than 50k/year that they shouldn't cook pasta or go to McD's.

For those that can afford it, it's usually a problem of ease.  People are busy in this country and don't give themselves time to cook.  So a 15 min meal of mac and cheese when it's 6:30 and the kids are hungry and you just got home from soccer practice or w/e is about their only option.

Anyway...

That is extremely false. My dad, step mother, brother x2, and sister all eat healthy, stay very healthy and if you combined all their incomes you’d be way under $50k. 

It’s a false narrative that you can’t eat healthy on a budget. Are you buying dry prime steaks? Absolutely not. And yes, with these “shortages” prices of a lot of protein have shot up. 

Processed food is cheap, but health food can be too. The second part is the real problem with this country “easy”. People are more lazy than busy. I absolutely get there are times you just need a pre-made meal in a pinch but there is no reason people can’t cook most of their food. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, Zukhyubern said:

While there is a lot of truth in what you're saying, I'm not sure "ease" is the primary concern here. It's affordability and accessibility. Many poor neighborhoods are food deserts where there only access to food comes in the form of convenience stores and fast food chains. For example, in the Southside of Chicago there are huge swaths of residential areas that don't even have grocery stores. There are some amazing non profit and mutual aid organizations that are attempting to fix this by providing free organic produce and other resources similar to a food bank. People want to eat healthier and are willing to put the effort in if they are given affordable access to it. 

The food system in this country is an absolute mess however and there are so many issues with it from agricultural imports from overseas (China, etc..) crippling American farmers to farming practices that are based solely in profit that are ruining our planet and people's ability to access healthy food. 

Should question those local governments for allowing that type of development. It’s a shame it exists but it also exists because the people let it get to a point of no return. 

I do love the food banks/organizations that do those types of services, some of the best out there.  We have a few in the area, two are older and take anything, some of the newer ones actually will not accept processed/canned/etc foods it’s they are loaded with sugars and fake ingredients. I think that’s extremely important in causing real change in some of the less fortunate areas. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:07 AM, theJ said:

I don't think any professional has ever recommended that wearing a mask in the situation you posed is necessary.  Your changes of infection just by walking past someone is really really really low.

Don’t come to NJ. Parks, beaches, etc all have “wear your mask” signs posted. Some big campaign “mask up” or some nonsense that I believe someone in the health administration pushed through to try and have people wear masks outside. 

6 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

That is extremely false. My dad, step mother, brother x2, and sister all eat healthy, stay very healthy and if you combined all their incomes you’d be way under $50k. 

It’s a false narrative that you can’t eat healthy on a budget. Are you buying dry prime steaks? Absolutely not. And yes, with these “shortages” prices of a lot of protein have shot up. 

Processed food is cheap, but health food can be too. The second part is the real problem with this country “easy”. People are more lazy than busy. I absolutely get there are times you just need a pre-made meal in a pinch but there is no reason people can’t cook most of their food. 

Well it certainly depends where you live. Cost of living varies greatly as do food costs. There are also major sections of American cities that don’t have grocery stores. They have corner stores and small markets where goods are more expensive, with poor quality and minimal selection.

The suggested budget for food is about $1050.00 per month for a family of 5. 

12k per year is on the cheap side but doable. The average person spends about $160.00 per month on clothes. You have transportation costs, medical, prescription, utilities. Then you have accommodation costs which vary wildly.

Where I live it will cost $1600.00 per month minimum for a 2 bdr apt. Over 2.5k for a three bedroom house. So blanket statements simply don’t work. There are far to many variables.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I really dislike when people dismiss economics like it doesn't matter. 

Economics are how we feed 7 billion people on this planet. It can't just be dismissed out of hand for safety. We take risks every day to do the things we do. Safety is not #1. That's a lie, and will always be a lie. 

Anyway, sorry. You're probably not saying that exactly. I just needed to vent. 

I really dislike it when people put economics above health. There’s a real tendency towards exaggeration in this thread and has been for some time.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard economics isn’t important. I have heard that without mitigation etc, places might have to shut down, again, which would be far more devastating to the economy.

Based on my personal observations, the Covid 19:fight in the U.S. has been far more about protecting capital than protecting people. The wealthy are making out like bandits with untraceable handouts etc. It’s the same old crisis management top down bailouts which don’t really help economically and simply further increase wealth gaps. It’s not unlike the bank bailouts. They gave the banks money but they still repossessed homes. It would’ve been much more efficient and economically sensible to bailout the little guys, the homeowners who would’ve made their mortgage payments. The banks would’ve been paid, homeowners kept in homes etc. Instead the taxpayers had to bailout incompetency and have their homes repossessed.

The U.S. has all the economic muscle needed to weather this storm. Unfortunately the system is broken and wealth distribution is really messed up. 

• Like 2