Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Again, you're blasting a guy who hasn't posted his rankings since last Friday.  Which is about the time that things started to take off there.

There were over 103,000 cases in Texas on Friday. The rankings were 1/4 the score when there were TWELVE cases.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Can you either make clear what you're trying to do, or just lay off maybe?

The dude tagged me in his rankings for like two straight months despite me asking him to stop, but the first time I say something negative about the rankings, suddenly I need to lay off? That's cool, I guess. 

Edited by pwny

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

There were over 103,000 cases in Texas on Friday. The rankings were 1/4 the score when there were TWELVE cases.

Case numbers are known to be inaccurate in the couple of days immediately after they're logged.  You'd have to ask Mission what case/death numbers he had when he posted his Friday rankings.  Plus, his numbers are based on 7 day trailing averages, so a spike on Thursday may not influence those numbers too much. 

In that context, the numbers posted Friday make perfect sense.  Do they reflect reality?  No.  But with any data set, singling out a single data point doesn't usually give a full picture.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

The dude tagged me in his rankings for like two straight months despite me asking him to stop, but the first time I say something negative about the rankings, suddenly I need to lay off? That's cool, I guess. 

I just think you're better than that.  I've read your posts for years and know you're a really smart guy, and don't recall seeing passive aggressive attacks against another member before.

Anyway, it seems like he's done posting his numbers.  So we can probably forget about it at this point.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol thanks, but I asked where they were.

Mission fell off the face of the planet.  That’s not exactly smug.

Damn, reading comprehension.  

And yes he did.  Maybe the recent surge of cases drove him to a bender or something.  He seemed pretty invested in things getting better, and now they're getting obviously worse.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

Damn, reading comprehension.  

And yes he did.  Maybe the recent surge of cases drove him to a bender or something.  He seemed pretty invested in things getting better, and now they're getting obviously worse.

I definitely give him an A for effort.

• Like 1

wait, you mean to tell me the guy attempting to proliferate half-baked internet forum pseudoscience about an incredibly serious global pandemic has disappeared right as his obvious wrongness has started coming home to roost? well, heavens to betsy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Case numbers are known to be inaccurate in the couple of days immediately after they're logged.  You'd have to ask Mission what case/death numbers he had when he posted his Friday rankings.  Plus, his numbers are based on 7 day trailing averages, so a spike on Thursday may not influence those numbers too much. 

We know what he had for cases. He posts them every time.

Working backwards from the last time he posted:
Friday, June 19: 103,305 cases - 10.2 MOL (I was actually giving him way more credit, as I read the wrong number)
Wednesday, June 17: 96,335 cases - 9.3 MOL
Monday, June 15: 89,108 cases - 7.9 MOL
Saturday, June 13: 86,011 cases - 7.6 MOL
Friday, June 12: 83,680 cases - 7.5 MOL
Thursday, June 11: 79,759 cases - 6.4 MOL

This didn't break out of nowhere. Texas has been on a horrible growth trajectory dating back to May 22nd, and yet the MOLs said everything is okay.
xNVwkBB.png

And then, again, compare all of that to:

Monday, March 9th: 12 cases - 233.3 MOL

11.665 times higher. For 12 cases. Even if you take away the spike that "began" June 16th, the data clearly was showing a really bad problem for several weeks prior, but MOLs stayed consistently low through the whole thing.

It's a garbage metric that deserves to be slammed for peddling bunk garbage numbers the mean literally nothing for three months. And it isn't a surprise he just happened to disappear as soon as the complete failure of the model became undeniable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Have we already roasted people for the “heat kills it” argument? Did I miss that party

I was one of those people but it was more hopeful than anything concrete. I was also hopeful it would disappear ala it's little brother. Also hopeful that it would just become a weaker version of itself. Basically anything other than relying on American people bc we're selfish dickwads where the majority will find any reason to do whatever they want. I was right about that

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I definitely give him an A for effort.

Reminds me of a time a classmate of mine faked a seizure in the middle of class.

Teacher was in his final year, was panicking, the kid got up, smiled, calmly walked back and sat down.

Teacher:

*Laughs super hard*

”David, you get an A for acting...but you’re failing my class!”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Have we already roasted people for the “heat kills it” argument? Did I miss that party

Unfortunately so my man

But that doesn’t need to stop you

Roast away