Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

37 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Man, are we seriously stopping federal funding for testing when this month ends?

Yep. Also, one note from Fauci's testimony:

Right at the outset of his testimony, Dr. Fauci laid out the timeline for a possible coronavirus vaccine, estimating a "deployable vaccine" will not be available for at least another year to a year in a half...

"We are going to go into a phase one clinical trial to determine if one of the candidates — and there are more than one candidate, there are probably ten or so that are at various stages of development. The one that we're talking about is a platform called messenger RNA. It really serves as a prototype for other types of vaccines that are simultaneously being developed," Fauci explained. 

"Getting it into phase one in a matter of months is the quickest that anyone has ever done literally in the history of vaccinology. But the process of developing a vaccine is one that is not that quick. It will bring us three or four months down the pike and then you go into an important phase called phase two to determine if it works," he continued. "That will take at least another eight months or so." 

Source

EDIT: Also, they cancelled research funding along with testing funding.

Source

Researchers expressed alarm this week after the National Institutes of Health abruptly cancelled funding for a long-standing research project by US and Chinese scientists to examine how coronaviruses leap from bats to humans, potentially causing devastating pandemics—such as the one we are currently experiencing by a coronavirus genetically linked to those found in bats.

The funding cut could set back critical research into preventing such disease spread, scientists say.

Edited by kingseanjohn

24 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Yep. Also, one note from Fauci's testimony:

Source

Source

I feel like the latter quote about the canceled research happened already. Didn’t certain people blame the research lab in Wuhan for the virus?

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I feel like the latter quote about the canceled research happened already. Didn’t certain people blame the research lab in Wuhan for the virus?

I think you know the answer and I'm not going to discuss it here. Rules and all.

• Like 1

Man, screw all of this Covid crap. Screw the politics and all that other BS......I just want things to get back to as normal as possible is all. I need my sports and life back in regular form. 

Seriously, in the Bears forum, we have resorted to having legit convos about what would happen if Mitch Trubisky won MVP this year. Like, that's how deprived we are right now. 

• Like 1

Wearing masks helps if it wasn’t obvious yet:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883017035/what-contact-tracing-may-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

“As the U.S. begins to open back up, coronavirus clusters — where multiple people contract COVID-19 at the same event or location — are popping up all over the country. And despite drawing massive crowds, anti-police protests in Washington state weren't among those clusters. 

"We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we're finding is in large part that's due to the use of masks," Erika Lautenbach, the director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, tells NPR's All Things Considered. "Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it's really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Man, screw all of this Covid crap. Screw the politics and all that other BS......I just want things to get back to as normal as possible is all. I need my sports and life back in regular form. 

Seriously, in the Bears forum, we have resorted to having legit convos about what would happen if Mitch Trubisky won MVP this year. Like, that's how deprived we are right now. 

tbf there was the chance to safely bring sports back but it required a mass lockdown and everyone to be obedient to it, and to not open up too early. opening up too early and forcing the second lockdown is the worst thing for bringing sports back, because essentially if things continue on their current trajectory in the southern states then y'all are back where you were in march-april, and you have wasted the limited good progress that you guys made.

i feel for you guys i really do

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Considering that states aren't going to get federal funding for testing after June 30th in hotspots, the MoL has a ticking clock on it anyway. 

And Nero fiddled...

*facepalm emoji*

*trying to refrain from getting political*

7 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

People are knocking Texas, because they made a mockery of science. California for the most part is at least encouraging wearing a mask and social distancing.

Florida and Texas are run by Rudolph’s who decided that science is fake and COVID is no big deal. They deserve the crap they’ll get. 

From what I've read- the surges in Cali are ravaging the Hispanic community due to them living in extremely close quarters. Can anyone verify?  

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

CA had more cases but the positivity and hospitalization rate is currently stable compared to Texas. Why things are the way they are is certainly puzzling in a good way for LA County and CA in general. Maybe people are testing positive but not getting as sick due to the mask mandate that existed well before the state one?

Is it possible wearing a mask is lowering the viral load and therefore patients aren't getting as sick? The best case scenario is there's a weaker strain cycling around the west coast, and many people are getting infected with that one. I believe the west coast was thought to have had a weaker strain from China cycling around while NY got hit with the more severe strain out of Europe. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

From what I've read- the surges in Cali are ravaging the Hispanic community due to them living in extremely close quarters. Can anyone verify?  

Without getting into the specifics as it’s close to the boundary/limits of this site, we are seeing spikes in places where people live in close proximity with one another, specifically groups with lower socioeconomic status, etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Right at the outset of his testimony, Dr. Fauci laid out the timeline for a possible coronavirus vaccine, estimating a "deployable vaccine" will not be available for at least another year to a year in a half...

"We are going to go into a phase one clinical trial to determine if one of the candidates — and there are more than one candidate, there are probably ten or so that are at various stages of development. The one that we're talking about is a platform called messenger RNA. It really serves as a prototype for other types of vaccines that are simultaneously being developed," Fauci explained. 

"Getting it into phase one in a matter of months is the quickest that anyone has ever done literally in the history of vaccinology. But the process of developing a vaccine is one that is not that quick. It will bring us three or four months down the pike and then you go into an important phase called phase two to determine if it works," he continued. "That will take at least another eight months or so." 

I think that was a misread of Fauci's testimony, he is often talking about timelines from the start of vaccine development (i.e. January) not from today. He also said:

“We feel cautiously optimistic, based on the concerted effort and the fact we are taking financial risks — not risks to safety, not risks to the integrity of the science, but financial risk to be able to be ahead of the game — so that when, and I believe it will be when and not if, we get favorable candidates with good results, we will be able to make them available to the American public,” Fauci testified Tuesday, according to Vox. “It would put us at the end of this calendar year and the beginning of 2021.”

Moderna is starting phase 3 trials next month.  The Oxford vaccine is actually in ongoing combined phase 2/3 trials.  We should have results from Oxford by September and from Moderna by a little later in the fall.  In the meantime, US pharma companies are producing hundreds of millions of doses of both under deals with the federal government so that if either vaccine proves effective we can get the entire US population vaccinated relatively quickly this winter.  

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Source

I can't adequately articulate how stupid this is. Even putting it in the context of how grossly inadequate and delusional the US response to COVID has been, this stands out as exceptionally stupid.

• Like 5