Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I can't adequately articulate how stupid this is. Even putting it in the context of how grossly inadequate and delusional the US response to COVID has been, this stands out as exceptionally stupid.

I just realized who has been deciding COVID related things in this country, and frankly, I'm ashamed of myself for not piecing it together sooner:

Gxc0.gif

4ZiE.gif

bc2.gif

k8XIrFL.gif

200w.gif

(You are Alex Trebec)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I can't adequately articulate how stupid this is. Even putting it in the context of how grossly inadequate and delusional the US response to COVID has been, this stands out as exceptionally stupid.

You did a pretty solid job.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You did a pretty solid job.

I didn't even start. The single best preventative measure to stopping an outbreak like this is to learn about the methods of transmission. That's exactly what we were doing. This was a few million that, had we known about this and spent that money earlier, would have saved us hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. And, with the benefit of hindsight, we're deciding to abandon it. I never imagined any modern day administration would be capable of being this stupid. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Xenos said:

CA had more cases but the positivity and hospitalization rate is currently stable compared to Texas. Why things are the way they are is certainly puzzling in a good way for LA County and CA in general. Maybe people are testing positive but not getting as sick due to the mask mandate that existed well before the state one?

LA County has 10 million people, Harris County has less than half that many so that's part of it.  LA County also had many more cases early on in the outbreak and over the last couple of months so looking at case totals isn't really a good comparison.  Yesterday, LA County had 1228 reported cases and Harris county had 1365 reported cases, or more than 2x as many per capita. 

Its likely worse than 2x as many per capita though when you account for testing.  California's percentage of tests coming back positive continues to hover at 5% to your point, as it has for almost 2 months. There's been a slight uptick which is never good with expanded testing and testing demand but 5-6% isn't a bad number.  Doesn't look like there are major problems in LA so far.  Texas was at 5% and is now at 10% or 11%.  If you adjust for testing, Houston may have 4x as many new COVID cases compared to LA County, which is the difference between a sustainable number of hospitalizations and being at surge capacity or beyond surge capacity.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yes. If we test less, the virus doesn’t infect as many people. Didn’t you hear?

You would think there would be more political pressure to not cut federal funding given the recent surges in places like AZ and Texas in particular. Or at least more outrage.

Edited by Xenos

1 minute ago, theJ said:

@mission27 good to see you're still alive.  Rough week?

mission has stopped social distancing and resumed his day to day degenerate behaviors making it difficult to keep up with my responsibilities on here, but we will have updates posted at some point this week.

To hold you all over, USA MoL is now inching up to 3 and given the slow closing of active cases I would consider USA overall as a Tier 2 at this point similar to Russia. However, it varies quite a bit region to region. The northeast remains firmly in Tier 1. The south is Tier 2 / Tier 3 and needs to reintroduce some stricter measures imo.  Risk of runaway cases in Houston, Phoenix, and a few other areas as we called out a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You would think there would be more political pressure to not cut federal funding given the recent surges in places like AZ and Texas in particular.

The surge has mostly been among young people who don't really get sick from COVID and there's yet to be a huge surge in deaths.  I think once it starts getting into the older populations and the lag in deaths catches up with that region, the politics is going to shift.  Its very sad but its the only way people will pay attention tbh.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

tbf there was the chance to safely bring sports back but it required a mass lockdown and everyone to be obedient to it, and to not open up too early. opening up too early and forcing the second lockdown is the worst thing for bringing sports back, because essentially if things continue on their current trajectory in the southern states then y'all are back where you were in march-april, and you have wasted the limited good progress that you guys made.

i feel for you guys i really do

There wont be a second lockdown tbh, beyond the hardest hit metros at any given time.  At least not until the winter.  There's no appetite for that.

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The surge has mostly been among young people who don't really get sick from COVID and there's yet to be a huge surge in deaths.  I think once it starts getting into the older populations and the lag in deaths catches up with that region, the politics is going to shift.  Its very sad but its the only way people will pay attention tbh.

Yeah i suspect the same.  We're at the point of making decisions based on what's trending on twitter, not the science.  So things need to get much worse first.  Then maybe the politics will shift again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don’t care how “educated” America is, we are collectively one of the dumbest countries in the world. 

Absolutely. This country is full of selfish, ignorant, mouth breathers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Is it possible wearing a mask is lowering the viral load and therefore patients aren't getting as sick? The best case scenario is there's a weaker strain cycling around the west coast, and many people are getting infected with that one. I believe the west coast was thought to have had a weaker strain from China cycling around while NY got hit with the more severe strain out of Europe. 

I do wonder about the weaker strain theory and if it provides any immunity to the stronger strain that hit NY and some of the other states now.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't even start. The single best preventative measure to stopping an outbreak like this is to learn about the methods of transmission. That's exactly what we were doing. This was a few million that, had we known about this and spent that money earlier, would have saved us hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. And, with the benefit of hindsight, we're deciding to abandon it. I never imagined any modern day administration would be capable of being this stupid. 

nervously-drinking-water.gif