Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It must be. There must be some old guy out there saying, "Yes! Screw me! I've had a good life! You guys go enjoy your Olive Garden breadsticks. I'm sure I would have died in the next ten years anyways. What's another ten years of someone's life to that buttery goodness?"

I think Sammy Hagar pretty much did say that actually, lol. Not those exact words but the idea was the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

This is the thing though, I'm fine with things reopening if people follow those guidelines. I think it's completely feasible to have a stable economy and still practice the guidelines necessary to combat this virus. The main problem is how many people just won't do it. Wearing a mask is just too hard.

What needs to happen is

1. Wash your damn hands, all the time, thoroughly.
2. Wear a damn mask.
3. Social distance (when possible)
4. Elderly, and those at serious risk stay home.

But things really can't stay closed any longer at this point IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Which is true. I'm sure that person exists, and frankly, while I disagree with them, I respect them for it and consider it a noble - though misguided - thing to do. And when those people say "we need to re-open", they're going to do it thoughtfully with nuance because they are aware of the price they are asking other people to pay. If that person comes into this thread, I'll discuss, not make fun of them.

That's not what happened here. The people that @seriously27 and I are making fun of are the people who throw in a disclaimer about how they don't hate the elderly or anything, but at no point in the explanation will you ever see someone talk about how high that price is, because they're only thinking of themselves when they write it.

Yeah that bothers me too, that's the reason I won't get a haircut tbh. I'm not all that worried about myself, I'm 33 and have no health conditions I'm aware of so I'd probably be okay... But I live with an 80 year old man who does have health issues and would probably be screwed if he got it. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

At least in my county the average age of death by COVID-19 is 81 years old.

All tolled average age of death is 84 years old. A decade from now, the overall population won't even have seen this as a speed bump.

81 years old is also the average age of death for Parkinsons'. Would you say we should also spend less money fighting that because it's "barely a speed bump"?

• Like 2

Just now, Danger said:

What needs to happen is

2. Wear a damn mask.

Didn't a study from the outbreak on that military ship show that all the extra hand washing doesn't actually help much?

That same study also confirmed that masks and distancing most certainly do make a big difference if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It must be. There must be some old guy out there saying, "Yes! Screw me! I've had a good life! You guys go enjoy your Olive Garden breadsticks. I'm sure I would have died in the next ten years anyways. What's another ten years of someone's life to that buttery goodness?"

Also no way I'd give up 10 years of my life for some olive garden bread sticks.... Now some red lobster cheddar Bay biscuits I might have to consider....

• Like 2

Just now, Danger said:

What needs to happen is

2. Wear a damn mask.

Yes but I would like to throw in some caveats as well. Capacity needs to stay low for most businesses. Groups need to stay in low numbers. Bars having packed houses is obviously insane as you can't do any of 1 through 3 in that scenario. And the same will be said for sport arenas unfortunately. And also, people need to start facing real discipline for not following these rules. Just because you are not directly killing someone doesn't mean you are not actively causing the risk of death to rise greatly.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Didn't a study from the outbreak on that military ship show that all the extra hand washing doesn't actually help much?

That same study also confirmed that masks and distancing most certainly do make a big difference if I remember correctly.

It was because they were not combining that with cleaning of the ship itself. If you clean your hands and then immediately touch infected surfaces then cleaning your hands won't matter. There wasn't much they could do on that ship and honestly having the study in that environment was pretty silly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I've seen countless other studies and examples that show that it does.

What you have hear is what is referred to as "Alternative Facts"

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

81 years old is also the average age of death for Parkinsons'. Would you say we should also spend less money fighting that because it's "barely a speed bump"?

No, obviously.  But i'll stick up for @Danger here.  I don't think he's advocating for anything here - just speaking truth.  10 years from now, most of us will have forgotten about this.  Doesn't make us evil or anything, it's just natural.  Most of us forget about traumas given time, especially those that don't touch us directly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

I don't know if any old people saying screw them but I do know quite a few that would rather live their life than be shut in.  One guy that I think is 90 and still works at the gas station said "I'd be dead by now if I stayed in my house"

I really feel for the people in nursing homes that can't get visitors but die anyways so they end up dying alone. That's probably a lot of people's biggest fear

1 minute ago, theJ said:

No, obviously.  But i'll stick up for @Danger here.  I don't think he's advocating for anything here - just speaking truth.  10 years from now, most of us will have forgotten about this.  Doesn't make us evil or anything, it's just natural.  Most of us forget about traumas given time, especially those that don't touch us directly.

I'm saying is we can't ruin the lives and careers of thousands to save a couple dozen who are at the end anyways. We SHOULD take every precaution we can to make sure those who are at risk are protected while things continue on. Limit capacity but allow places to be open, take precautions wherever possible.

It's not "Get mah hurr cut."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theJ said:
24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I agree, and I don't think @Danger was making a bad point. I just disagree with touting  the average age of COVID deaths without context for other diseases, since frankly most serious diseases tend to be especially tough for the elderly, not just COVID.

• Like 2