Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

Look at the numbers of that Houston ICU, only 28% of the beds is compromised of COVID patients. 

I forgot, you're right. If it was THAT serious all of the other diseases and ailments would have waited their turn so COVID could fill up the ICU.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ahhh yeah that might explain it. This was a local place, not a chain.

On the other hand, you should see what happened when my local gym opened back up. The day they opened, it was hundreds of people working out without masks or cleaning any equipment afterwards. I did one workout and peaced the F out.

So weird hearing how different things are in other parts of the country. In the entire state of PA, you literally can not go anywhere without wearing a mask, you will just be told to leave, and if you don't the police will be called on you. The only exception is dining which is limited to 50% occupancy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I forgot, you're right. If it was THAT serious all of the other diseases and ailments would have waited their turn so COVID could fill up the ICU.

What percentage of occupied beds being from COVID is irrelevant. The real question is, what percentage of all beds are occupied?

BTW, I got my haircut last weekend, because Seattle moved to phase 2 (allowed salons to open). 

You had to call ahead to reserve a time slot, only two people (worker - customer) were allowed in the space at a time. 

Masks required ; haircutter was masked and gloved up.

She cut like a maniac to ensure individuals were not inside for too long.

Disinfected everything between haircuts.

It can be done if people are patient and follow through. Karens and muh Freedumbs gonna ruin it. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 3

Just now, Danger said:

So weird hearing how different things are in other parts of the country. In the entire state of PA, you literally can not go anywhere without wearing a mask. The only exception is dining which is limited to 50% occupancy. 

As of Wednesday businesses require masks to enter now, but you can go out in public without a mask. Completely different than back in our home city, where it opened up and everyone was just going about their day business as usual with no masks or anything. That county has seen has 1,000 new cases every day and is currently spiking.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

So weird hearing how different things are in other parts of the country. In the entire state of PA, you literally can not go anywhere without wearing a mask, you will just be told to leave, and if you don't the police will be called on you. The only exception is dining which is limited to 50% occupancy. 

My experience in the Twin Cities area is that it depends on the place.

Local butcher shop chain. No masks at all.

Coffee shop. Masks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Look at the numbers of that Houston ICU, only 28% of the beds is compromised of COVID patients. 

Except ICU is at capacity. They’re converting regular care beds to icu beds and according to Hospitals if the trend continues capacity will be overwhelmed. https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-hospitals-ceo-provide-update-on-bed-capacity-amid-surge-in-covid-19-cases/285-a5178aa2-a710-49db-a107-1fd36cdf4cf3

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

BTW, I got my haircut last weekend, because Seattle moved to phase 2 (allowed salons to open). 

You had to call ahead to reserve a time slot, only two people (worker - customer) were allowed in the space at a time. 

Masks required ; haircutter was masked and gloved up.

She cut like a maniac to ensure individuals were not inside for too long.

Disinfected everything between haircuts.

It can be done if people are patient and follow through. Karens and muh Freedumbs gonna ruin it. 

Yup. Same here. It was a rather large salon, only 3 haircutters and 3 patients, (there are about 12-13 seats), 1 on each end, and the 3rd in the middle.

Call when you arrive from the parking lot. You must wear a mask. Temperature taken at the door, they ask if you if you've been out of the state, or come into contact with COVID patients (4 such questions). Assuming you answer them all correctly, you then wash your hands, and then taken to have your hair cut. Stylist wore a faceshield and gloves, and I had to hold my mask in place when she cut around my ears and such.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

What percentage of occupied beds being from COVID is irrelevant. The real question is, what percentage of all beds are occupied?

Thanks, brah. My wife is the manager of an ICU in Chicago. I've got a little bit of insight on the topic.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I feel like this might be a good spot to throw in that based on google, ~50% of hospitals in Texas are for-profit. I’m not a hospital owner, but my guess is that the path to profitability is through maintaining a high level of utilization at all times. If at all times you are at 70% utilization, any spike from COVID becomes a major deal. 

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Thanks, brah. My wife is the manager of an ICU in Chicago. I've got a little bit of insight on the topic.

I was responding to the general topic being discussed between you and the other guy. Not trying to discredit your knowledge on the matter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

No, it’s more likely they need to have an area of the hospital to put them in and keep them segregated from the rest of the hospital

1 minute ago, winitall said:

I feel like this might be a good spot to throw in that based on google, ~50% of hospitals in Texas are for-profit. I’m not a hospital owner, but my guess is that the path to profitability is through maintaining a high level of utilization at all times. If at all times you are at 70% utilization, any spike from COVID becomes a major deal. 

Interesting. Did not know that./

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit_hospital#:~:text=In 2003%2C of the roughly,profit hospitals (18 percent).

In 2003, of the roughly 3,900 nonfederal, short-term, acute care general hospitals in the United States, the majority—about 62 percent—were nonprofit. The rest included government hospitals (20 percent) and for-profit hospitals (18 percent).

Seems rather disproportionally high in Texas then.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yup. Same here. It was a rather large salon, only 3 haircutters and 3 patients, (there are about 12-13 seats), 1 on each end, and the 3rd in the middle.

Call when you arrive from the parking lot. You must wear a mask. Temperature taken at the door, they ask if you if you've been out of the state, or come into contact with COVID patients (4 such questions). Assuming you answer them all correctly, you then wash your hands, and then taken to have your hair cut. Stylist wore a faceshield and gloves, and I had to hold my mask in place when she cut around my ears and such.

That being said, this will only really work in areas where social distancing and quarantining were taken seriously prior. Anecdotally, my area of Seattle has been masked up and working from home since early March. Pretty much all stores have been enforcing lower capacity and mask since early April. So I think Phase 2 here is going to go pretty well. I cannot say the same thing about other areas though.