Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When your ICU is at capacity and 28% of your beds are being used by COVID patients, I feel like that's a significant number.

I’m only going off of what I’ve experienced in my area but hospitals have to put COVID patients in a separate area of the hospital than other patients. With COVID being still new these patients have to be monitored which is probably why they are getting moved to the ICU. I would be curious to see how many people are actually on ventilators, because that would tell a better story. 

Just now, animaltested said:

That being said, this will only really work in areas where social distancing and quarantining were taken seriously prior. Anecdotally, my area of Seattle has been masked up and working from home since early March. Pretty much all stores have been enforcing lower capacity and mask since early April. So I think Phase 2 here is going to go pretty well. I cannot say the same thing about other areas though. 

I'm not so sure. The outbreak already started when those measures were taken into account. And over the next couple of weeks things continued to increase while the measures were refined. So long as it's enforced diligently, it will take effect, just in a delayed fashion. It's not going to make things better overnight.

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

No, it’s more likely they need to have an area of the hospital to put them in and keep them segregated from the rest of the hospital

In all seriousness, not trying to be sarcastic this time, that's proven one of the most difficult things to do, especially when there is a surge. Hospitals aren't very modular or adaptable, especially older community hospitals that belong to major medical systems. Get a bad building engineer to try to set up a negative pressure unit and you could start blowing COVID unit air through the entire hospital. 

What you are suggesting is precisely the problem with this disease - hospitals aren't designed to deal with pandemics, and it's not as easy as "just isolate the non-COVID ones).

• Like 1

Just now, JDBrocks said:

In all seriousness, not trying to be sarcastic this time, that's proven one of the most difficult things to do, especially when there is a surge. Hospitals aren't very modular or adaptable, especially older community hospitals that belong to major medical systems. Get a bad building engineer to try to set up a negative pressure unit and you could start blowing COVID unit air through the entire hospital. 

What you are suggesting is precisely the problem with this disease - hospitals aren't designed to deal with pandemics, and it's not as easy as "just isolate the non-COVID ones).

I’m not saying it’s effective, I’m saying that’s what’s being done. Most hospitals are required to have a COVID floor

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’m only going off of what I’ve experienced in my area but hospitals have to put COVID patients in a separate area of the hospital than other patients. With COVID being still new these patients have to be monitored which is probably why they are getting moved to the ICU. I would be curious to see how many people are actually on ventilators, because that would tell a better story. 

I'm not sure how I feel about ventilators. I have heard alternative facts that suggest ventilators can actually increase lethality in some cases because it allows the body to stop working on it's own. There hasn't been widespread studies on it, but then, no one is willing to take that chance to see because what the wide consensus is that ventilators = good. I'm skeptical, but I'll remain on the side of them being beneficial until further evidence is presented suggesting otherwise (I won't hold my breath on that, no pun intended).

• Like 1

Just now, Danger said:

I'm not sure how I feel about ventilators. I have heard alternative facts that suggest ventilators can actually increase lethality in some cases because it allows the body to stop working on it's own. There hasn't been widespread studies on it, but then, no one is willing to take that chance to see because what the wide consensus is that ventilators = good. I'm skeptical, but I'll remain on the side of them being beneficial until further evidence is presented suggesting otherwise (I won't hold my breath on that, no pun intended).

I posted this a few weeks ago, but at my wife's hospital outcomes have been better across the board with heated high-flow oxygen than they have been with vents. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yep, benefits end on July 31 (which is still another month away).

Doesn't need to continue, I was just using it say that if you're unemployed you should have well enough to support your family right now if you're making unemployment. Now, if you're working a minimum wage job that's deemed "essential", we can talk.

I got my hair cut also earlier this month when the place re-opened, but the ladies there were super awesome - wore masks and gloves and mandated that customers did too. Also had you fill out a COVID waiver (pretty much every place is doing this now if you're going to be near an employee for some extended period of time).

Where I went everyone had a mask on and you had to use hand sanitizer after walking in the door and this is in an area where very few people wear masks.  It will really come down to the business 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

That is a problem for sure. The virus isn’t a joke. You can catch it and have a chance just like anyone else that it could be more severe than others. But at some point you just have to let this thing run it’s course and get everyone to do the simple things like wearing masks and social distance. I think you’re misinterpreting what I’m saying as this whole thing is made up. 

Too bad everyone can’t even do those two simple things.

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

It must be. There must be some old guy out there saying, "Yes! Screw me! I've had a good life! You guys go enjoy your Olive Garden breadsticks. I'm sure I would have died in the next ten years anyways. What's another ten years of someone's life to that buttery goodness?"

Didn’t you realize that this was The Hunger Games and you can willing volunteer yourself to be tribute?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah the problem is, for a lot of people it is “get mah hurr cut”.

I don’t think you guys realize how many idiots legitimately refuse to wear a mask and think it’s some Democratic agenda. This country is stupid. Wildly stupid.

It's mindblowing here in Tennessee.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I bet you the people who are Anti-Mask are also "Anti-Vax" ¬¬

Nope.  My dad got laid off (luckily he's 64 so it's whatever) because he wouldn't go into work where they are taking literally no precautions.  They're even having people share welding masks, without cleaning them, through the day.  My mother has severe asthma, and her doctor told her there's a very high chance she's dead if she gets it.

And my brother has to go to work everyday at the mall where people explicitly ask, dozens of times a day, if they're required to wear masks, and they have to say "No, but we ask that you please do," and hand them out at the front, while no one wears them.  And Kid Rock is here packing his bar to the gills with people in the middle of the city it's the worst in, and he loses his liquor license for like 2 days.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting in a courtroom where the only people wearing masks are me and two public defenders while the judge makes fun of the idea that the virus is dangerous from the bench because he's GOP AF and this is a big liberal hoax, and the government can't tell him what to do.

Of course, they still have a booth in the front where they take your temperature and give you a squirt of hand sanitizer before you come in.  No masks though, that would be fascism.

That's how I was exposed.  My COVIDy client coming and sitting in an enclosed space with a bunch of other people while wearing no mask.

So no.  It's 90% of the people in the south doing literally nothing that's not absolutely mandated, and even not doing that if it won't get them in trouble.

And this could be over so much faster if social distancing and masks were just a ******* requirement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Of course, they still have a booth in the front where they take your temperature and give you a squirt of hand sanitizer before you come in.  No masks though, that would be fascism.

Facism.... or Faceism.

ba dum tss.

• Like 1