Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

My brother-in-law was potentially exposed this week.  But his employer won't release who it was specifically so he can know if he was around that person or not.  :eyeroll gif:

My wife ate dinner with him last night, along with the rest of her immediate family.

We were supposed to have my 3 year old's birthday party tomorrow.  Not a huge gathering - my wife's immediately family, and her aunt's and uncle's (2 sets).  I just called it off, because i'm almost positive that if we try to limit it to those already exposed, the people not exposed will show up anyway.  I can't have that on my conscience.  

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Yeah, so you arrest anyone in public without a mask on. Simple. It's not what's happened so far, but it's what needs to happen.

They’re not going to arrest anyone without a mask on. Not even in CA where there’s a mandate.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I even said it's not being done. But it should be.

Yeah, we can't.  Jails are already getting wrecked by it and having to release a lot of people.

A ticket, now that I could see doing, and potentially working if it was actually done and actually enforced.  But it wouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Seems counter productive to fill the over crowded jails up with people not wearing masks, and this seems like a bad time to have cops enforcing more rules 

I feel like fines is the more appropriate answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
1 hour ago, Danger said:

Two problems I have with this.

1. This actually ends soon. If you read up on it you'd know that it was only allocated to pay that additional $600 a week for 4 months. 
2. Further continuation of this kind of program leads to hyperinflation.

Yep, benefits end on July 31 (which is still another month away).

Doesn't need to continue, I was just using it say that if you're unemployed you should have well enough to support your family right now if you're making unemployment. Now, if you're working a minimum wage job that's deemed "essential", we can talk.

As someone who works three part time jobs and goes to school full time, I would be absolutely screwed without the CARES Act. Two of my jobs furloughed me and won't be back until August at the earliest and there's talk of extending into next year. The third job only has hours every other week. During those weeks I make barely more than state unemployment so I lose out on the $600 federal.

Without an extension of the CARES Act, myself and millions of others are going to be in a world of hurt.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

As someone who works three part time jobs and goes to school full time, I would be absolutely screwed without the CARES Act. Two of my jobs furloughed me and won't be back until August at the earliest and there's talk of extending into next year. The third job only has hours every other week. During those weeks I make barely more than state unemployment so I lose out on the $600 federal.

Without an extension of the CARES Act, myself and millions of others are going to be in a world of hurt.

Yeah as long as the mass unemployment continues, they're going to have to continue the CARES Act, in some form or fashion.  Not doing it would be worse than just reopening and dealing with the massive spread of COVID.  COVID may kill you, but lack of shelter, food and water will definitely kill you.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think we're gonna have millions in a world of hurt regardless.  Soooo many businesses are about to fail.

FYI, do not read that as me advocating for reopening.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

I think we're gonna have millions in a world of hurt regardless.  Soooo many businesses are about to fail.

I think it's ok to have conflicting thoughts on the matter.  Either direction really sucks.

6 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

I feel like fines is the more appropriate answer. 

Exactly.

I mean we already give out fines for things like public intoxication, not wearing a seatbelt, running a stop sign, loitering, etc, so fines for no masks isn't without a precedence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Agreed. I would love to go out and buy some stuff and eat out more often. But knowing that the CARES Act expires in a month and the uncertainty to come, I'm saving my money in my emergency fund.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think it's ok to have conflicting thoughts on the matter.  Either direction really sucks.

Oh yeah, I just wanted to be clear.  I think the shut down should have just been a real one.  Like, half of all businesses were "essential businesses" and very little was actually shut down, and a lot of places just straight up ignored quarantine restrictions.

My whole thing with reopening probably gets too political to say, but the safe version is there are better ways to go IMO than reopening, and reopening is not going to save all these businesses in danger of closing, especially when a lot of people don't want to go and the operating costs just skyrocketed.  It's like we're trying to go half way in to both options and not committing to a clear plan one way or another.  Which is like the worst way to go.

I'm also not an expert on economics or health, so I don't think my answers are infallible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's like we're trying to go half way in to both options and not committing to a clear plan one way or another.  Which is like the worst way to go.

Agreed.

Honestly we could re-open more things, if people would just wear the damn masks.

But yeah, we've went over that before.

• Like 1