Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I would like to see the CARES act extended until March 31st 2021... Because I have a seasonal layoff from December 15th til March 15th and I selfishly want that 900 a week instead of the normal 320 I would get😋

Hell I don't even average 900 a week on my paychecks 😳

Edited by rob_shadows

2 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I would like to see the CARES act extended until March 31st 2021... Because I have a seasonal layoff from December 15th til March 15th and I selfishly want that 900 a week instead of the normal 320 I would get😋

Hell I don't even average 900 a week on my paychecks 😳

My Fiancee made just over minimum wage as a personal trainer and since her gym shut down she's been making bank on unemployment to the point where none of the trainers are returning to work because they're making too much on unemployment AND none of them feel safe training in a gym where nobody is doing social distancing.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My Fiancee made just over minimum wage as a personal trainer and since her gym shut down she's been making bank on unemployment to the point where none of the trainers are returning to work because they're making too much on unemployment AND none of them feel safe training in a gym where nobody is doing social distancing.

Yeah I'm a drawbridge operator so I'm completely alone at work, I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable working in a gym right now either.

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Yeah I'm a drawbridge operator so I'm completely alone at work, I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable working in a gym right now either.

I guess it was 50% because of the clients not wearing masks or doing anything, and 25% being paid more on unemployment and 25% that the gym doesn't have a janitorial service so the trainers are the cleaners in addition to their full-time jobs.

Deaths continue to fall or at worst stay flat while cases skyrocket. Very interesting. There is a lag of course, but in March when we saw cases start to pick up deaths very quickly followed. The increase in cases also began about two weeks ago so we would've expected the uptick in deaths to start this week and haven't seen that yet. A few possibilities: 

1. This is driven by more widespread testing that is catching cases earlier in their life cycle (pre-symptomatic) meaning time from positive test to death may be more than the ~10 days we've observed in the past 

2. Its mostly circulating in younger populations and we wont see an increase in deaths until it starts to hit older populations

3. The form of the virus circulating in Arizona and other parts of the south is more mild than what was going around New York in March (I've seen some sources suggesting this, but no good studies yet) 

4. We are getting better at treating COVID patients and CFR is now permanently lower as a result 

It could be a combination of some / all of the above. My guess is we will see an uptick in deaths over the next week, driven by a few states that have been particularly hard hit like Texas. Lets hope its more of a bump and not a vertical line like we saw in March.

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh yeah, I just wanted to be clear.  I think the shut down should have just been a real one.  Like, half of all businesses were "essential businesses" and very little was actually shut down, and a lot of places just straight up ignored quarantine restrictions.

Kind of depends on where you live. In the northeast, it was as real a shutdown as the shutdowns in Europe imo. Most people I know didn't leave there house for like 2 months except to go to the grocery store, which was permitted in every country that shut down basically. I know it was way more lax in other parts of the country but when we all started to open up in May the number of active cases circulating in NYC and Boston was still higher than the south. Why the south has exploded and northeast hasn't, personally I think comes down to two things... masks and over-capacity indoor dining/bars. People in the northeast are wearing masks, bars are closed, and dining has either been very low capacity or outdoors. It feels like things really started to spiral out of control when places like Florida and Texas opened up bars and indoor dining.  Putting a bunch of people together indoors sans masks with AC blasting is the absolute worst environment for spread.  Its basically replicating the conditions at the meat packing facilities that have been a vector. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

At least 10 of those people are peeing right now when this photo is snapped.  Guaranteed.

While it may not have happened while the photo was being taken, at least 1 of them dropped a deuce in there from their tube. Guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Yeah as long as the mass unemployment continues, they're going to have to continue the CARES Act, in some form or fashion.  Not doing it would be worse than just reopening and dealing with the massive spread of COVID.  COVID may kill you, but lack of shelter, food and water will definitely kill you.

They should. But I have a bad feeling they won’t unless it gets obviously worse.

18 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Deaths continue to fall or at worst stay flat while cases skyrocket. Very interesting. There is a lag of course, but in March when we saw cases start to pick up deaths very quickly followed. The increase in cases also began about two weeks ago so we would've expected the uptick in deaths to start this week and haven't seen that yet. A few possibilities: 

1. This is driven by more widespread testing that is catching cases earlier in their life cycle (pre-symptomatic) meaning time from positive test to death may be more than the ~10 days we've observed in the past 

2. Its mostly circulating in younger populations and we wont see an increase in deaths until it starts to hit older populations

3. The form of the virus circulating in Arizona and other parts of the south is more mild than what was going around New York in March (I've seen some sources suggesting this, but no good studies yet) 

4. We are getting better at treating COVID patients and CFR is now permanently lower as a result 

It could be a combination of some / all of the above. My guess is we will see an uptick in deaths over the next week, driven by a few states that have been particularly hard hit like Texas. Lets hope its more of a bump and not a vertical line like we saw in March.

Can confirm #1 is a significant part of this. Remdesivir and better treatment options (heated high-flow vs vents) has drastically altered the outcomes in Chicago hospitals.

• Like 2