Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I actually deactivated my Facebook account - I can't deal with the stupidity anymore, I was going to get in trouble if I kept lashing out as I was.

I'll come back eventually.

Or not. 

Deleting the app from my phone has been extremely helpful. I have to have an account in order to manage my band's page, but getting rid of the boredom reflex has been a big plus for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread- but I'm truly interested to see if we can heavily invest and research technological advancements in ventilation to be better prepared for the fall time. America is an industrial power house; I'd love to see what she's truly capable of. We should put together a team of scientists and engineers to see if they can come up with a cheaper and more efficient solution in air filtration. That, coupled with masks and social distance, could really slow the spread indoors. It could allow for a higher capacity of indoor dining if the technology advances of enough.

I'm an engineer with a little experience in HVAC and food safety.  I'm curious if a UV light installed in the ductwork would kill the virus or not.  UV lights are used in large scale food production to keep dangerous stuff out of the food.  And it's not a terribly expensive thing to install in ductwork.

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

They are testing the GermFalcon for disinfecting airplanes right now.
UV works vs the virus, but not sure what the exposure time is when passing through an air duct

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/aviation/germfalcon-coronavirus-airplane-ultraviolet-sterilizer-news

Don't care if the airplane is brand new and nobody else has been on it before, I'm not getting onto an airplane for any reason over the next 10 years without wearing a full biohazard Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak suit. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

UV works vs the virus, but not sure what the exposure time is when passing through an air duct

If we're talking a single light, it would be brief.  Typical duct velocities are between 1000-2000 fpm, if they're sized appropriately.  Higher if they're not sized right (you can tell if it's higher than recommended because you'll really hear it).

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I actually deactivated my Facebook account - I can't deal with the stupidity anymore, I was going to get in trouble if I kept lashing out as I was.

I'll come back eventually.

Or not. 

Same here. Got rid of Twitter too.

FF is my one vice but sometimes I can't tell the difference between the Packers forum and Facebook so I try to avoid it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

They are testing the GermFalcon for disinfecting airplanes right now.

Based solely on my college experience having to use UV light to kill retroviruses, it takes a few minutes. Can't imagine it working for an air duct unless the source is a lot more powerful.

Well it seems like the death surge is beginning in Florida, Texas, Cali, and Arizona. Other states may be following suit in the coming weeks. 

If this doesn't smarten people up to the virus, then nothing will. Sometimes people have to be smacked in the face with reality to learn. Once it's someone they know in the hospital they'll * hopefully* change their tune. Better late than never I suppose.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Same here. Got rid of Twitter too.

Twitter was never a good idea.  It's terrible for any sort of discourse whatsoever. 

When it comes to anything controversial - from politics to religion to pandemics - points and counterpoints should not be restricted to 140 characters or less. 

It's also dumbing people down and encouraging bad grammar.  I said this when I first heard of Twitter and I've believed it every step of the way.  Twitter is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea in theory and in practice.

On top of all that, it doesn't make any sense.  I like to think I can pick things up easily, but not Twitter.  With Twitter, the layout and design makes no damn sense at all.  Sometimes the first thing said is at the bottom, other times it's at the top, you can't tell who said what it's like jumping into a tangible dream. 

I hate Twitter.  I have always hated Twitter.  I will always hate Twitter. 

If I was the developer type or had somebody I knew that was the developer type, I would develop a social networking site catered to and marketed towards those with the capacity for prose.  It would have a MINIMUM of 500 characters per post, people who don't know the difference between there, their, they're get three strikes and then they're banned for a week.  People who use RU (instead of are you), y (instead of why) and can't even burn the extra Goddamn 8th of a calorie to type out THANKS instead of THX get permabanned and publicly shamed and humiliated.

HOW GODDAMN HARD IS IT YOU ARE SAVING THREE ****ING LETTERS CAN YOU NOT SPELL THANKS? 

Ain't would be allowed as long as they use an apostrophe. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Twitter was never a good idea.  It's terrible for any sort of discourse whatsoever. 

When it comes to anything controversial - from politics to religion to pandemics - points and counterpoints should not be restricted to 140 characters or less. 

It's also dumbing people down and encouraging bad grammar.  I said this when I first heard of Twitter and I've believed it every step of the way.  Twitter is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea in theory and in practice.

On top of all that, it doesn't make any sense.  I like to think I can pick things up easily, but not Twitter.  With Twitter, the layout and design makes no damn sense at all.  Sometimes the first thing said is at the bottom, other times it's at the top, you can't tell who said what it's like jumping into a tangible dream. 

If I was the developer type or had somebody I knew that was the developer type, I would develop a social networking site catered to and marketed towards those with the capacity for prose.  It would have a MINIMUM of 500 characters per post, people who don't know the difference between there, their, they're get three strikes and then they're banned for a week.  People who use RU (instead of are you), y (instead of why) and can't even burn the extra Goddamn 8th of a calorie to type out THANKS instead of THX get permabanned and publicly shamed and humiliated.

HOW GODDAMN HARD IS IT YOU ARE SAVING THREE ****ING LETTERS CAN YOU NOT SPELL THANKS? 

K thx 4 ur opinion

Twitters gr8

L8r

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

calm down, gramps

• Like 1