Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

13 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

No, I’m simply suggesting that our behaviours can change through education, laws, and enforcement. If people believe the messaging, compliance will be relatively high. We’ve all experienced temporary water restrictions, fire bans, closed roads (for cycling or pedestrian activity) so with the right messaging from trustworthy officials (you folks have allot of divisive opinion in the U.S.A.) temporary restrictions will have high compliance. Things like masks, reduced occupancies, etc.

Oh ok.  I feel like some people have suggested that before. I don't see why people are so dead at against wearing masks

9 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

If nothing else it would be nice if Gilead gave others authority to produce Remdesivir.

Gilead has already signed deals with generics mfg in EU and other places to make the IV version of Remdesivir

The inhaled version is a bit of a challenge, so it will be some time before that's all worked out, but it offers the ability to dose patients outside the hospital setting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

As a teacher, this is a great idea in theory but how is that even remotely practical for parents? How many parents are going to have the ability to make such a drastic change to their work schedule? Or is this only at the high school level?

Junior Kindergarten through high school. It certainly creates issues but not insurmountable. Parent cooperation and working together will certainly be required.

I’m submitting a proposal To institute a 12 hour school day. 1/2 attend 8-1 the others 2-7. Attendance 5 days per week. Summer vacation would run May through August with each student receiving two months. Schools could also operate 7 days a week. People need to realize normalcy isn’t returning for awhile. Besides most school facilities are terribly under utilized.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Gilead has already signed deals with generics mfg in EU and other places to make the IV version of Remdesivir

The inhaled version is a bit of a challenge, so it will be some time before that's all worked out, but it offers the ability to dose patients outside the hospital setting

How generous of them. Given the supply issues they can do a great deal better. *disclaimer, I have family that work for them although we never discuss drug development, distribution etc.

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

How generous of them. Given the supply issues they can do a great deal better. *disclaimer, I have family that work for them although we never discuss drug development, distribution etc.

Yeah I mean frankly the EU deal doesn't mean a whole lot given that the pandemic is under control in Europe right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Junior Kindergarten through high school. It certainly creates issues but not insurmountable. Parent cooperation and working together will certainly be required.

I’m submitting a proposal To institute a 12 hour school day. 1/2 attend 8-1 the others 2-7. Attendance 5 days per week. Summer vacation would run May through August with each student receiving two months. Schools could also operate 7 days a week. People need to realize normalcy isn’t returning for awhile. Besides most school facilities are terribly under utilized.

I think in America a large chunk of parents would not be unable to accommodate this, especially with younger children. Also I think its outrageous to expect teachers to work 12 hour days, that is not plausible.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I mean frankly the EU deal doesn't mean a whole lot given that the pandemic is under control in Europe right now.

I would like to see them open the patent up. Global production could help supply the U.S.A. as well. Not to mention stockpiles in case of a second wave.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think in America a large chunk of parents would not be unable to accommodate this, especially with younger children. Also I think its outrageous to expect teachers to work 12 hour days, that is not plausible.

The teachers wouldn’t be working 12 hour days. They stay with their class. It’s like that under the current proposal as well. 

These are troubling times. People need to accept that, think outside the box and cooperate. We have numerous businesses that have staggered hours to reduce the number of people visiting their strip mall, or enclosed malls. 

People need to assist others with childcare, school slotting etc. 

Edited by diehardlionfan

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think its more that the EU have the mfg capacity - where it gets distributed is a different story
So many of our generic drugs are made in India/China- ( 80%) but their are serious quality concerns.
So that's why Gilead chose the EU mfgs, much more reliable

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

The teachers wouldn’t be working 12 hour days. They stay with their class. It’s like that under the current proposal as well. 

So who gets the short end of the stick and works 1-6? What about after school activities?

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think its more that the EU have the mfg capacity - where it gets distributed is a different story
So many of our generic drugs are made in India/China- ( 80%) but their are serious quality concerns.
So that's why Gilead chose the EU mfgs, much more reliable

I mean realistically an EU company is going to distribute more of it to EU countries, especially given that those are going to be the wealthiest areas.

• Like 1