Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well yeah, their tuition is absolutely absurd.

I almost don’t feel bad for anyone who thinks a semester of undergrad is worth 38k.

I wasn't sure if it was just that school and if it was why would anyone go there unless they have the money to burn

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well yeah, their tuition is absolutely absurd.

I almost don’t feel bad for anyone who thinks a semester of undergrad is worth 38k.

unfathomably high to me lol

the way it works here is if you're an australian citizen the government will straight out pay for about two thirds of your degree, the rest you're about to get a deferred loan from the government that you only have to start paying back when you earn above ~50kish (and it is garnished from your wages in tiny amounts as opposed to large instalments), and it only accrues interest indexed to the inflation rate - none of this private debt company bull****

so

for me to do a five year double degree, my bachelor of laws and bachelor of economics (my university doesn't let you do just law; you have to do a second degree along side it) i'm going to walk out of uni with ~55k HECS which as i said only starts to factor in when i earn above that aforementioned amount

unfortunately (without getting too too political) we have a government doing durrrrr culture wars attacks on universities rn and they're jacking up uni fees, but given that i'm on the old system i'll "only" have yeah the $55k. if i were to do this degree under the new system it'd be about ~80k (but still with all the previous perks like only having to pay once i'm earning etc), but that too is being eroded by successive governments which is a great shame

• Like 1

Just now, Shady Slim said:

the way it works here is if you're an australian citizen the government will straight out pay for about two thirds of your degree, the rest you're about to get a deferred loan from the government that you only have to start paying back when you earn above ~50kish (and it is garnished from your wages in tiny amounts as opposed to large instalments), and it only accrues interest indexed to the inflation rate - none of this private debt company bull****

so

for me to do a five year double degree, my bachelor of laws and bachelor of economics (my university doesn't let you do just law; you have to do a second degree along side it) i'm going to walk out of uni with ~55k HECS which as i said only starts to factor in when i earn above that aforementioned amount

unfortunately (without getting too too political) we have a government doing durrrrr culture wars attacks on universities rn and they're jacking up uni fees, but given that i'm on the old system i'll "only" have yeah the $55k. if i were to do this degree under the new system it'd be about ~80k (but still with all the previous perks like only having to pay once i'm earning etc), but that too is being eroded by successive governments which is a great shame

Yeah but then you have **** like muesli whose the real loser

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

so

How is the cost of schooling controlled or do the universities set the price at whatever?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How is the cost of schooling controlled or do the universities set the price at whatever?

regulated by the government though the current government's previous iterations (we have had three successive prime ministers from the Liberal-National Coalition, which is our conservative party; i'm talking about tony abbott's government here which was the LNP government 2013 to 2015) has tried to deregulate it

international students, of which we have heaps, do have to pay full fee, which helps to subsidise things for domestic students. which helps! one thing i forgot to mention before too is that HECS repayments are also tax write offs which is also super neat

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, TVScout said:

A Supercomputer Analyzed Covid-19 — and an Interesting New Theory Has Emerged

A closer look at the Bradykinin hypothesis

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Wow, very cool. 

Will be interesting to see how close this is to the mark once this is all over 

Also, a vaccine in 2020 was always a pipedream. At this point, I am just hoping for no major mutation 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As long as you’re happy paying 5 figures plus per year for zoom classes.

And that’s coming from someone who’s not even paying for it any longer.

I'll have mine paid off in a year and a half I believe. I'm gonna be pretty aggressive with them now and try to get them paid down quickly.

Economically speaking, I think your best bet is to get a 2 year degree at a community college and then move on to something bigger if you want. I find it silly to call college debt "theft" since its not a requirement for one to work at some capacity.

Well, maybe the taxes are theft...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I find it silly to call college debt "theft" since its not a requirement for one to work at some capacity.

Jumping in late - but I think the circumstances behind Northeastern University is more along the lines of theft.

Generally speaking, education is incredibly valuable. Is it as valuable as the money paid into it? Depends on the course focus, depends on the person, depends on the school. There are too many moving parts to make a widespread generalization on our educational system (outside of it being excessively expensive) but specific to Northeastern, it feels a lot like theft.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Jumping in late - but I think the circumstances behind Northeastern University is more along the lines of theft.

Generally speaking, education is incredibly valuable. Is it as valuable as the money paid into it? Depends on the course focus, depends on the person, depends on the school. There are too many moving parts to make a widespread generalization on our educational system (outside of it being excessively expensive) but specific to Northeastern, it feels a lot like theft.

Well thought out response. Thank you.

I'm done hijacking the thread, but does your avi have to do with a particular Texans GM?

Or, let's say another pretty important person? Haha