Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Governor of Michigan just ordered high school athletes have to wear masks while playing sports lol

While playing or while on the sidelines? Because all our football players here in OH have to wear gaiter masks under their helmets and over their faces unless they’re actively one of the 22 players playing.

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Governor of Michigan just ordered high school athletes have to wear masks while playing sports lol

Real talk here: you could play football with a mask on. The average football play only lasts a few seconds, and it takes at least ~15 seconds to go from air in lungs to oxygen in muscles. The mask making breathing harder would really only impact people psychologically. 

But yeah soccer and basketball and whatnot would be impossible. Wrestling and swimming would be particularly hilarious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Real talk here: you could play football with a mask on. The average football play only lasts a few seconds, and it takes at least ~15 seconds to go from air in lungs to oxygen in muscles. The mask making breathing harder would really only impact people psychologically. 

The "No Huddle" wearing masks would be interesting, which is why I'd personally be against it, as well as QB's with a cadence and having a "muffle effect"...and aside from the RB lining up next to him in shotgun, it's a built in socially distanced position.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But yeah soccer and basketball and whatnot would be impossible. Wrestling and swimming would be particularly hilarious.

TBH, a lot of these rules are particularly hilarious. For example, no postgame handshakes. I mean, we're going to double team your 1 tech all night, but we won't shake his hand after the game. Football, you can only dress 60 kids every Friday, but our marching band has over 300 kids in it.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:
13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The "No Huddle" wearing masks would be interesting, which is why I'd personally be against it, as well as QB's with a cadence and having a "muffle effect"...and aside from the RB lining up next to him in shotgun, it's a built in socially distanced position.

Yeah I guess when I say "you can play football with a mask on", I mean "there's nothing innate here that would make playing football with a mask on physically impossible, so it comes down to creativity".

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I guess when I say "you can play football with a mask on", I mean "there's nothing innate here that would make playing football with a mask on physically impossible, so it comes down to creativity".

Y’all ever watched Michigan high school football? We aren’t running the no huddle up here. 99% is some version of the option, it’s a slow grind. 

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah, I'll speak to some of my frustrations (not to be misunderstood with what I believe should be the case) that make coaching in this type of a setting rather difficult, purely from a logistics point of view (not to be confused with a health point of view).

1. We have no way of huddling as a team. This is at the beginning or end of practice as a group, as well as simulating game situations. We can only huddle on game nights, which has caused multiple delay of games and other logistical nightmares (QB's calling plays has been a real struggle). The disconnect between the staff and players is a reality with these stipulations, because the normal group/family atmosphere for team sports has been fractured to some degree

2. Our "get back" coaches have multiplied by 5 (not exaggerating) as we are now policing spots on the field (each kid is separated by 2 yards and 3 rows deep to maintain social distancing), wearing masks under helmets, etc., while actively trying to coach in game for football related things.

3. Officials mark the spots with an orange bean bag and the center takes the ball to and from the huddle with him to lessen the impact of "shared equipment" between officials and players.

4. Pregame meals are boxed and separate, and players must eat far away from one another. This has caused very strange dynamics and fractures within the group as well as the coaches.

5. Walk throughs in the gym don't happen, causing major "flow" issues during the game.

So yes, it's absolutely possible, and this is better than the alternative...I just wish our parents and community would see things this way as well. Social media is a cruel and unforgiving world out there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, winitall said:

Y’all ever watched Michigan high school football? We aren’t running the no huddle up here. 99% is some version of the option, it’s a slow grind. 

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If it's anything like Wisconsin high school football, it's legitimate eye torture.

Up until this year, we ran the triple option out of the Navy Flexbone, while actively doing the opposite of the hurry up/no huddle, not snapping the ball until there were under 10 (and often times 5) seconds left on the playclock.

This may shock you, but that's about the only way we (in the past) have had a chance against the Braxton Millers of this world (from our conference/division)...slow down the game and limit possessions. That way, instead of him getting 12 possessions, he gets 6, so we are asking our defense to stop him twice...HOPEFULLY. :)

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This may shock you, but that's about the only way we (in the past) have had a chance against the Braxton Millers of this world (from our conference/division)...slow down the game and limit possessions. That way, instead of him getting 12 possessions, he gets 6, so we are asking our defense to stop him twice...HOPEFULLY. :)

I don't know how much Wisconsin football you've seen over the past decade, but that does shock me because I have zero experience seeing the Braxton Millers of the world slowed down.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't know how much Wisconsin football you've seen over the past decade, but that does shock me because I have zero experience seeing the Braxton Millers of the world slowed down.

So, it hasn't worked the last 6-7 years, but in 2010, we held him to 13 points playing keep away...but we still lost.

TBH, you take the recipe Wisconsin used the first half against OSU in the B1G Championship game, where they executed their script FLAWLESSLY, took a lead, and then lost due to depth and talent in the 2nd half. It's about your only hope of winning/gives you a shot in the 4th.

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't know why anyone would try to go to college this year.  It seems like a waste of money and you'd be giving up a lot of control of your life

Go to, or be enrolled in?

Because, let's be honest, 90% of college is a means to an end from a career standpoint. Why put your life on hold for a year if you can essentially just help buy your degree?

See:

College tuition since the 1980s