Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I heard on the radio that a college in Wisconsin is keeping everyone in the dorms for 2 weeks. That seems healthy

It's UW Madison, and they're suspending in person classes, athletics, and basically all other activities plus closing gyms because the case rate spiked the second they got here (which we all knew it would). It's bad. Here's the data for Dane County: https://cityofmadison.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/e22f5ba4f1f94e0bb0b9529dc82db6a3

Our previous high for daily cases during the 1st wave of this was ~140, and a few days in we're already at 450 and growing rapidly. They should have never brought the students back, but suspending in person activities is the right call compared to just letting it burn through the population. 

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Go to, or be enrolled in?

Because, let's be honest, 90% of college is a means to an end from a career standpoint. Why put your life on hold for a year if you can essentially just help buy your degree?

See:

College tuition since the 1980s

I'd take a gap year and find a job but that's just me.  Maybe I'd do it online depending on how it's set up and what the price is.  I feel like part of the tuition covers everything else that students normally have access to at college but won't this year.  Failing a class because you can't meet with the teacher and get help or because you didn't learn anything in the prerequisite wouldn't help much either. 

Mostly it comes down to the fact that I wouldn't want to be locked in the dorm with the threat of being kicked out and still owing the money for 1 wrong move. What happens if you make it through half a semester and they say no more leaving the dorm accept class that you'll have at  2 in morning because we can only have so many classes at a time? If you walk down the hall at the wrong time you are kicked out. 

Maybe I am over reacting to the Wisconsin story and the story about people being out 35K but I could do without that

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's UW Madison, and they're suspending in person classes, athletics, and basically all other activities plus closing gyms because the case rate spiked the second they got here (which we all knew it would). It's bad. Here's the data for Dane County: https://cityofmadison.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/e22f5ba4f1f94e0bb0b9529dc82db6a3

Our previous high for daily cases during the 1st wave of this was ~140, and a few days in we're already at 450 and growing rapidly. They should have never brought the students back, but suspending in person activities is the right call compared to just letting it burn through the population. 

Are they allowed to move around the dorm freely or do they have to stay in the room? It sounded like they would be getting 3 meals a day delivered and the students were stocking up on anything they might need in 2 weeks. 

I'd say F that and probably be out 30 grand

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are they allowed to move around the dorm freely or do they have to stay in the room? It sounded like they would be getting 3 meals a day delivered and the students were stocking up on anything they might need in 2 weeks. 

I'd say F that and probably be out 30 grand

They're encouraged to only go outside for essential stuff, but it's not going to actually be enforced. 

Most people at Madison live off campus anyway, in which case this doesn't effect them at all. Pretty much only freshman live in the dorms, and they can still go to house parties if they really want to. The only things that are closed down are frats and official student clubs/societies, it's not like you couldn't hang out in your buddies room and play Mario Kart or something if you wanted to.

This probably doesn't completely change the course of the spread or anything, but UW had to do something. The case rate is spiking and is already high enough that when you talk about adding a 60k student population to the UW hospital system (which is a Tier 1 trauma center and already under a ton of stress right now), this becomes a serious problem very quickly. Sending people home is the right option, but I get why they want to try the less dramatic option first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're encouraged to only go outside for essential stuff, but it's not going to actually be enforced. 

Most people at Madison live off campus anyway, in which case this doesn't effect them at all. Pretty much only freshman live in the dorms, and they can still go to house parties if they really want to. The only things that are closed down are frats and official student clubs/societies, it's not like you couldn't hang out in your buddies room and play Mario Kart or something if you wanted to.

This probably doesn't completely change the course of the spread or anything, but UW had to do something. The case rate is spiking and is already high enough that when you talk about adding a 60k student population to the UW hospital system (which is a Tier 1 trauma center and already under a ton of stress right now), this becomes a serious problem very quickly. Sending people home is the right option, but I get why they want to try the less dramatic option first.

That makes me feel better.  They were making it sound like if you leave for anything you better not come back.  Maybe they just meant if you leave the area

~know~ to avoid political discussion but I am in utter shock at how inept both sides of Congress have been in passing any sort of second relief bill. I already knew they were inept and couldn't see past bullsh*t partisanship, but this really takes it to another level. I've been unemployed since April and the job market in my industry (restaurants lol!) is dry and unsafe anyway (I have asthma) and I was relying on some sort of UI relief. Pretty pathetic that both sides are letting optics and electoral politics get in the way of actually doing their jobs. 

Sorry for the rant! Really wish I'd sold out and become a tech-bro so I could just work from my couch for the next 12 months 🙄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

~know~ to avoid political discussion but I am in utter shock at how inept both sides of Congress have been in passing any sort of second relief bill. I already knew they were inept and couldn't see past bullsh*t partisanship, but this really takes it to another level. I've been unemployed since April and the job market in my industry (restaurants lol!) is dry and unsafe anyway (I have asthma) and I was relying on some sort of UI relief. Pretty pathetic that both sides are letting optics and electoral politics get in the way of actually doing their jobs. 

Sorry for the rant! Really wish I'd sold out and become a tech-bro so I could just work from my couch for the next 12 months 🙄

I don’t think it’s political at all to say congress is ineffective and out of touch.

Those seem like the two primary prerequisites for landing the gig in the first place.

• Like 4

The most recent failed COVID relief plan was more of another giveaway to entities (businesses) with marginal aid to actual people, with several added features to induce the fringe radicals to accept that marginal aid for common people.

There’s really no incentive to accept that type of extremism when your offered alternative legislation (and offered compromise) is in line with what worked in every other developed democracy.

That’s essentially what is happening, and the proof is in the words of the legislation.

Edit - Even more telling is that about a dozen Senators who voted for this legislation previously indicated they would not support any further type of relief bill.  I imagine they voted because they knew it would fail, and reasonably permits pandering as long as you do not scrutinize it.

That is more indicative of what is wrong with our legislative system than anything else.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SwAg said:

The most recent failed COVID relief plan was more of another giveaway to entities (businesses) with marginal aid to actual people, with several added features to induce the fringe radicals to accept that marginal aid for common people.

There’s really no incentive to accept that type of extremism when your offered alternative legislation (and offered compromise) is in line with what worked in every other developed democracy.

That’s essentially what is happening, and the proof is in the words of the legislation.

Edit - Even more telling is that about a dozen Senators who voted for this legislation previously indicated they would not support any further type of relief bill.  I imagine they voted because they knew it would fail, and reasonably permits pandering as long as you do not scrutinize it.

That is more indicative of what is wrong with our legislative system than anything else.

To be clear, I’m not mad it failed, it should.  It doesn’t help “regular people” nearly as much as, well, those who don’t actually need help but see an opportunity.

My frustration is simply rooted in the fact the issues aren’t that hard to discern.  There are simple, actionable steps that should have been put in place well before now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be clear, I’m not mad it failed, it should.  It doesn’t help “regular people” nearly as much as, well, those who don’t actually need help but see an opportunity.

My frustration is simply rooted in the fact the issues aren’t that hard to discern.  There are simple, actionable steps that should have been put in place well before now.

Well, to be fair, there has been legislation from the House since May that emulates the EU and Canada’s plans, which have worked.

So, you say not that hard to discern, some say we need a 10-year longitudinal study time determine if people will die if they cannot afford food.  Some might suggest they use the extra $11 (median value) that they earned the past two years from the 2017 tax cuts to eat instead of spending it on booze and movies.

• Like 1