Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

If the positivity/transmission rate is high enough to warrant it, then yes. 

You are simplifying an incredibly complex and nuanced question. 

If the science dictates that a mitigation or prevention measure is warranted, then I support it.

whats high enough to warrant it? who decides that? at what point does what life look "post" covid matter?

for the record, i think people should be smart and resposnible. take into account who you live with, wear your mask indoors etc. but also, live your life.  

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

whats high enough to warrant it? who decides that? at what point does what life look "post" covid matter?

for the record, i think people should be smart and resposnible. take into account who you live with, wear your mask indoors etc. but also, live your life.  

I suggest that everyone listens to experts that are trained to make decisions based on data.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I get some of that.  I still have cheat days with what I am doing.  I have absolutely sacrificed at lunch, but I still make the same dinners for myself (and sometimes have dessert) instead of going out as much.  I have the same breakfast, but just substituted turkey sausage and added oatmeal instead of cereal.  I also try to watch carbs as far as bread goes, as well as drastically cutting down my fast food intake and cutting sodas and other liquid calories almost completely.  

I understand people want to be happy in their skin, and if they are happy being somewhat overweight, that's fine with me.  But when you get to the point of morbidly obese like I was, something has to change.  You can't just keep your head in the sand anymore.  

couldnt agree more. i want people to be healthy but also if youre happy then be happy. but if you ever wonder of coke is bad for you, go a month without drinking it and then have one. pretty much the same with bread. very likely that first time back youre gonna feel awful until your body figures out all the artificial stuff again.

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The fat acceptance movement is crazy in this country.......and I'm saying that as a guy who seven months ago weighed almost 400, and now coming in under 280.  I just don't understand.  Some people had issues that got them to that point like me, but other people don't.  I just don't understand.  

Way to go on your weight loss first of all.

That’s all I’m gonna say on that.

If all this stuff eventually gets under control, sorry, but I'm not having my kids grow up thinking they have to wear masks everywhere or scared to death of getting sick if they go out and are around people.  I definitely get the paranoia right now, and to each his or her own if that's how you want to live your life if/when we have a hold on this thing. 

• Like 2

i don't anticipate wearing a mask a whole lot once there's a workable vaccine (and people are actually vaccinated, obviously), and i doubt a lot of people will. but i do actually hope something that sticks is people wearing masks if they need to be out and about while they have the flu or a bad cold. just a really low-effort, easy thing to reduce the odds that you give it to someone else.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Why are you trying to bait me into an argument?

im actually not. Im just trying to figure out what you think, but youre pretty much refusing to say. its all well and dandy to say you believe in the data and what he experts are saying... but youre not saying who and what data. every step of the way its been worse than pulling teeth, and i simply dont understand whats been the point of that.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it conspiracy theory levels to be afraid of a rushed vaccine for something I have a very low chance of dying from?

Legitimate question, not presumption.

i don't think it's an unreasonable fear, but thus far i think the process- which i've been trying to keep an eye on specifically because of that concern- has been pretty okay-seeming in terms of not fudging anything or skipping steps etc. but that's my totally untrained eye speaking and there are people on here who would likely have a better idea. and obviously we can't see behind the scenes of development etc. but friends i trust who are in public health aren't raising alarm bells and i think they would if they saw anything obviously fishy.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it conspiracy theory levels to be afraid of a rushed vaccine

You're certainly not alone

I trust the process and the people / committees who will review and approve the various vaccines. Those reviews have already begun as the previous clinical trials and early manufacturing work has been completed and submitted for review. There will be transparency per the FDA's public comments and there are many layers of review involved.

And there's this:

The first people to get vaccinated will be healthcare workers -  and I need to believe that no amount of greed, politics or avarice will allow an unsafe or ineffective product to be given to those heroic people.

• Like 2

Just from the people that I interact with, and I understand that’s a small sample size when you compare it to the rest of the country, but most do not want to get the vaccination even when it comes out.

If this sample size at least demonstrates that a sizable portion of our country is in the same boat, we need a better long-term solution then what the current plan is. Stalling until there’s a vaccination is not the permanent answer. 

22 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Just from the people that I interact with, and I understand that’s a small sample size when you compare it to the rest of the country, but most do not want to get the vaccination even when it comes out.

If this sample size at least demonstrates that a sizable portion of our country is in the same boat, we need a better long-term solution then what the current plan is. Stalling until there’s a vaccination is not the permanent answer. 

The idea of vaccination is to eradicate the virus by making every human being immune. 

So, yes. If people arent going to get vaccinated, we should have a different plan. I would love to hear your plan of how we can eradicate the virus without also eradicating a large portion of the population, without using a common medical and scientific approach that has literally been used safely since 1796

Edited by N4L
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, N4L said:

The idea of vaccination is to eradicate the virus by making every human being immune. 

So, yes. If people arent going to get vaccinated, we should have a different plan. I would love to hear your plan of how we can eradicate the virus without also eradicating a large portion of the population, without using a common medical and scientific approach that has literally been used safely since 1796

I’m not arguing for or against vaccination. I've gotten vaccinations, my kids do, my wife has, etc. I am just explaining what is already widely accepted, that a large chunk of our country is not doing this vaccination for various reasons. At least not at the early stages. 

Not sure what you're arguing here … I'm not arguing for or against the vaccine.  Just that there's a high level of scrutiny towards this thing and many adamantly against getting it.

I'm pointing out the holes in the plan that the vaccination is going to make everything right once it’s approved. Well, because a lot of people aren’t getting it. Not at the beginning, and some never will. This isn’t some hot take on my end, this is topic widely discussed.

Edited by NateDawg