Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Once thing I will say at the risk of a few posters going bonkers of this...there are other jobs out there that would need this before teachers get this, grocery store works, food plant/processing workers, etc. all need this before teachers. 

I just happened to see some post on Facebook asking "who thinks teachers should be first to get the vaccine?"

25 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Once thing I will say at the risk of a few posters going bonkers of this...there are other jobs out there that would need this before teachers get this, grocery store works, food plant/processing workers, etc. all need this before teachers

If you go by duration of close contact.  Grocery store employees would be much shorter time than a teacher would be.  Not sure that is how the order if who gets vaccine when would/should be determined.  Lots of variables to consider

17 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I just happened to see some post on Facebook asking "who thinks teachers should be first to get the vaccine?"

Well, Facebook...so yea, I would expect that type of question to be asked and entertained.  I also imagine there are still posts about how some microchip lives in the vaccine and its going to track us all and/or this is still a hoax.

Just now, squire12 said:

If you go by duration of close contact.  Grocery store employees would be much shorter time than a teacher would be.  Not sure that is how the order if who gets vaccine when would/should be determined.  Lots of variables to consider

Probably not the place for it, but I am going to disagree with you and honestly I think it is quite easy to figure out when/who the order should go.  Not hard to call a spade a spade people just don't like to potentially offend anyone.  Also, based on everything we know, once you get the actual front line people and the actual elderly handled, it should just be done by age groups in whatever order they are most likely to die/suffer long term.  

39 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Most hospitals are private businesses so they may try to "mandate" something.  With my wife this year the flu was about as mandated as you could get (I am sure there are still fine lines to abide by).  With that said, will employees quit over it?  Will employers fire people over it?  Unlikely in both cases. If there is enough to go around (for all 330 million) then I don't think you would need a mandate, once people see that the vaccine isn't making people drop dead on the spot they will get over any concerns they have. Those with an anti-vax mindset really doesn't matter where they land they will be the minority, likely by a long shot.  

I am sure many health care workers will hold off and many are not in the same risk category.  I know by me the labor and delivery rooms have effectively been 100% quarantined off (think 1 fully building of separation)  from other section of the hospitals, so would those workers even be on a list?  Who knows. 

Once thing I will say at the risk of a few posters going bonkers of this...there are other jobs out there that would need this before teachers get this, grocery store works, food plant/processing workers, etc. all need this before teachers. 

A few healthcare workers I talked to said they would quit if the vaccine is mandated. Talk is cheap, though, and trying to live while searching for a new job is not. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

A few healthcare workers I talked to said they would quit if the vaccine is mandated. Talk is cheap, though, and trying to live while searching for a new job is not. 

Exactly.  Some may want to quit, I get that, but like you said, talk is cheap.  Now the flip side is, healthcare workers are in huge demand in a lot of places so depending on their risk appetite/financial situation they are free to do that...always the chance a new place just "mandates" it as well.  I do get the concern, I sure wouldn't want to be the first person to get it (even though extensive testing was done) but I am also very willing to get it, I would just be closer to the end given my situation.

It is always funny to me the nonsense some people spit out of their mouths.  I have one friend who is pretty afraid of the COVID situation yet he is fairly out of shape and smokes probably a pack a cigarettes' within 2-3  days.  I have another friend who he and his wife are anti-vaxx and are already talking nonsense about these vaccines, yet he has no issues putting down a liter of vodka every week.   

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

I have another friend who he and his wife are anti-vaxx and are already talking nonsense about these vaccines, yet he has no issues putting down a liter of vodka every week.   

Using disinfectants from the inside, nice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Exactly.  Some may want to quit, I get that, but like you said, talk is cheap.  Now the flip side is, healthcare workers are in huge demand in a lot of places so depending on their risk appetite/financial situation they are free to do that...always the chance a new place just "mandates" it as well.  I do get the concern, I sure wouldn't want to be the first person to get it (even though extensive testing was done) but I am also very willing to get it, I would just be closer to the end given my situation.

It is always funny to me the nonsense some people spit out of their mouths.  I have one friend who is pretty afraid of the COVID situation yet he is fairly out of shape and smokes probably a pack a cigarettes' within 2-3  days.  I have another friend who he and his wife are anti-vaxx and are already talking nonsense about these vaccines, yet he has no issues putting down a liter of vodka every week.   

You're not lying when you say there is a huge demand for healthcare workers specifically nurses. A few of my units are have a 30% vacancy rate for nursing. Not good when we're well on our way to a second surge. Hospitalizations have been rapidly increasing, and our COVID+ ICU population has more than doubled this month alone. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

What some comes in close contact with 5 different infected people for 3 minutes each? Is that the same 1 infected person for 15 minutes? Or does the virus coming from different sources make a difference. 

I do not know the answer to this question.  That's why I'm asking it. 

Store clerks do come in contact with many more people throughout the day and who knows where they've been or how seriously they are taking it

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

What some comes in close contact with 5 different infected people for 3 minutes each? Is that the same 1 infected person for 15 minutes? Or does the virus coming from different sources make a difference. 

I do not know the answer to this question.  That's why I'm asking it. 

Store clerks do come in contact with many more people throughout the day and who knows where they've been or how seriously they are taking it

Most places have plexiglass barriers between cashier and customer 

I have covid. Some of its rough some of it feels like nothing. Scale of 1-10, 1 being sniffles, 10 being chemo id say I hover around a 4 but peak at a 6 or 7. Will update yall if I die 🏀 

30 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I have covid. Some of its rough some of it feels like nothing. Scale of 1-10, 1 being sniffles, 10 being chemo id say I hover around a 4 but peak at a 6 or 7. Will update yall if I die 🏀 

Are you still considered high risk? Good luck.  Don't drink bleach

3 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

You're not lying when you say there is a huge demand for healthcare workers specifically nurses. A few of my units are have a 30% vacancy rate for nursing. Not good when we're well on our way to a second surge. Hospitalizations have been rapidly increasing, and our COVID+ ICU population has more than doubled this month alone. 

Yea it is a tough situation.  I don't know your hospital specific situation, but one by me, one of the larger ones had to let a lot of people go and that included nurses (unsure what units specifically) people sometimes forget these hospitals are businesses too and were impacted on multiple fronts from this. 

Hope you guys weather the storm ok. 

• Like 1