Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I've venture that most people that don't get it don't bc it's totally frictionless.  You have to schedule a doctors appt for something that may or may not protect you from a virus that you only have about a 15% chance of getting anyway?

I get it bc my work offers it, and it's easy.  Takes 5 min of out my day, no extra paperwork or phone calls.  But if i had to schedule a dr appt, i probably wouldn't get it.

In all fairness, this is where I'm at too. Each year my employer offers a free flu shot that they come on site, you schedule a 5 minute window in the building, and during your free period, you stop by and get it. My kids get it at their wellness visit, and my wife gets hers at her yearly OBGYN appointment.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm ridiculously pro-flu shot. This probably isn't a surprise at this point in the thread.

No rant? No sarcastic response? I feel cheated to the point of where I'm going to intentionally provoke you in another thread when you least expect it.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've venture that most people that don't get it don't bc it's totally frictionless.  You have to schedule a doctors appt for something that may or may not protect you from a virus that you only have about a 15% chance of getting anyway?

I get it bc my work offers it, and it's easy.  Takes 5 min of out my day, no extra paperwork or phone calls.  But if i had to schedule a dr appt, i probably wouldn't get it.

When I was in the military it was a required. After getting it we'd all get sick for about a week and then we'd be fine. I haven't gotten it in about 10 years just because it is an appointment I have to schedule and drive to. I haven't been sick since the last time I got the flu vaccine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's not like I'm anti-flu shot or anything. I just live under a "if it ain't broke, don' fix it" philosophy and if I started getting the flu all the time, I'd start getting it.... or if I was in your situation where it was right there and I could just walk in and get it, I might. My wife has to get it for work and if I was her position, I'd absolutely get it. I get vaccinations when they're required/suggested by my doctor w/ the exception of this one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If everyone gets the COVID vaccine, they can skip the flu shot this year. Picking my battles.

Glad I have a year pass from you b/c I will be getting that vaccine w/o any questions asked then I will be traveling and going about my normal, daily life, care-free. My sister is trying to get in the J&J trials right now.

EDIT: I know after I get the vaccine I'll still have to wear that stupid mask at times but I'll suffer a little while longer.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If everyone gets the COVID vaccine, they can skip the flu shot this year. Picking my battles.

I changed my mind. Now I'm not getting one. I've also decided to stop wearing a mask, effective *Now*. Whew! I feel so much better and can actually BREATHE! The curve has been flat for 9 months. BRB, gotta go plan a huge Christmas get together with a bunch of fellow coworkers who I've also just convinced not to wear masks or get the vaccine, since we don't know for certain how it's going to work and can therefore assume is innately dangerous and an attempt by the government to pull my kids out of their classrooms and vaccinate them without my consent, which is an infringement of my constitutional rights.

483c3c8663ba92a2d30d29d9a6f27d73.gif

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Can you or @Shanedorf give me some insight on Moncef Slaoui?

He's a well- trained and respected scientist in the vaccine world, 30 years at GlaxoSmithKline ( GSK)
But he was drafted into an inherently political situation and has to play the game, just like Fauci. So I can understand ( but don't agree with) the puppet comments. Fauci talked about "navigating the maze" and still managing getting your message through. So they choose their battles.
Moncef is also at the top of the org chart so hey may or may not be privy to everything going on in the immunology trenches, so some pundits take shots at him in that arena as well.

But as Rams99 pointed out - there are just too many checks & balances and scientists and committees for anything deleterious to slip through. We can't say the same thing about the biz world... but medicine is life/death vs a balance sheet so people are very reluctant to take those risks regardless of bribes/pressure.
Too many eyes on all this stuff. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Glad I have a year pass from you b/c I will be getting that vaccine w/o any questions asked then I will be traveling and going about my normal, daily life, care-free. My sister is trying to get in the J&J trials right now.

EDIT: I know after I get the vaccine I'll still have to wear that stupid mask at times but I'll suffer a little while longer.

"Dear @BobbyPhil1781's doctor

I hereby give BobbyPhil permission to go outside and have fun this summer without the flu shot as long as he gets the COVID vaccine. Sorry I didn't send this earlier, I'm sure you were waiting on pins and needles for it.

Regards,
Rams"

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I changed my mind. Now I'm not getting one. I've also decided to stop wearing a mask, effective *Now*. Whew! I feel so much better and can actually BREATHE! The curve has been flat for 9 months. BRB, gotta go plan a huge Christmas get together with a bunch of fellow coworkers who I've also just convinced not to wear masks or get the vaccine, since we don't know for certain how it's going to work and can therefore assume is innately dangerous and an attempt by the government to pull my kids out of their classrooms and vaccinate them without my consent, which is an infringement of my constitutional rights.

I hope a bunch of FF weirdos add you on Facebook now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hope a bunch of FF weirdos add you on Facebook now.

The joke's on you, I don't have a Facebook. However, we have discussed the very close to you being discovered IRL because of our network of friends from Columbus who likely studied with you. Let's see how many Wisconsin guys they knew...

Just now, MWil23 said:

The joke's on you, I don't have a Facebook. However, we have discussed the very close to you being discovered IRL because of our network of friends from Columbus who likely studied with you. Let's see how many Wisconsin guys they knew...

That's true. We were like 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon away.

• Like 1