Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

So we're a week+ out from Thanksgiving and while numbers did rise, the sites I reference make it seem like they didn't skyrocket like I initially thought they were going to. Does anyone else have evidence that contradicts this?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

On 12/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Grocery store employees should absolutely have next crack at it. They see hundreds and thousands of people a day but we know those with connections will be next. It's always about who you know and that will never, ever change. Money also helps..... a lot. 

Not sure if teachers were part of the 1st wave discussion or not, but i'd absolutely give it them 2nd.  People are pretty quick to forget how awful all the home schooling was in the spring, and i know some schools have shut back down in-person classes not because of students getting it, but because they're running short on teachers.  My wife's school is still in person K-8, and their superintendent was teaching a class the other day.  That's how strapped they are for teachers at the moment because a few got it, and they can't get subs.

Kids being at home has a big impact on other industries.  A few of my close friends has to scale back to part time work since there wasn't child care available back in the spring.  That had a big impact on their personal finances, and i'm sure the ripple effects were felt in the related industries they worked in.

On the grocery store front - i see the logic there.  But we haven't had a problem keeping them going this whole time.  Their exposure is relatively short to the people they come across.  Plus the people within are far more replaceable from a skills perspective (you can quickly cross train, if the need arises).  You can't so quickly cross train teachers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I think the Vaccine is going to be something you'll hear about 10 years from now from Lawyers telling you to call them if you took that vaccine in 2020-2021. 

To be fair, lawyers will do this w/ anything if they can make a buck lol. I know plenty of them and have dealt w/ hundreds of law firms and partners.

Keep in mind that people who want to think that this may be the first mRNA vaccine but they've been studied for decades and people have already had insights to this virus from is baby brother a while back and I believe MERS from back when...... but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

Not sure if teachers were part of the 1st wave discussion or not, but i'd absolutely give it them 2nd.  People are pretty quick to forget how awful all the home schooling was in the spring, and i know some schools have shut back down in-person classes not because of students getting it, but because they're running short on teachers.  My wife's school is still in person K-8, and their superintendent was teaching a class the other day.  That's how strapped they are for teachers at the moment because a few got it, and they can't get subs.

Kids being at home has a big impact on other industries.  A few of my close friends has to scale back to part time work since there wasn't child care available back in the spring.  That had a big impact on their personal finances, and i'm sure the ripple effects were felt in the related industries they worked in.

On the grocery store front - i see the logic there.  But we haven't had a problem keeping them going this whole time.  Their exposure is relatively short to the people they come across.  Plus the people within are far more replaceable from a skills perspective (you can quickly cross train, if the need arises).  You can't so quickly cross train teachers.  

You last line is very important and not something I hadn't thought about. I would absolutely agree teachers should be high on the list but didn't set them ahead of the grocery store employees solely for the fact of the sheer massive difference in the amount of people they're exposed to on a daily basis. Like you said though, grocery store people are far easier to replace that teachers and that should influence the decision making from the people in the gov'ment. My wife works in HR and has said that she's had some undesired resignations from some of her positions due to the kids being home and there's no care options at this time and she needs to watch over them. 

The good news is, the number of vaccines we should be able to get our hands on would probably be enough for both groups to have that option if they so choose to. My guess is though, a lot will reject it. I honestly cannot understand the amount of healthcare workers I'm aware of that will refuse this vaccine. You have to think that if they are going to refuse it, I'm willing to bet a lot of other people will be as well and probably more if not in a profession constantly exposed to it.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

There are 3 million teachers and while I can't find a total, I'll say Walmart employees would account for about half and there are 2.5 million of them. So let's say a total of 8 million teachers and grocery store workers.

c7NJRa2.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

To be fair, lawyers will do this w/ anything if they can make a buck lol. I know plenty of them and have dealt w/ hundreds of law firms and partners.

Keep in mind that people who want to think that this may be the first mRNA vaccine but they've been studied for decades and people have already had insights to this virus from is baby brother a while back and I believe MERS from back when...... but I could be wrong.

It's hard for me to trust a vaccine they say 95% effective now when the flu vaccine is only 40% effective and has been around for 80 years. I'll let everyone else take it first. I'm on chemo so my doctor wouldn't advise me to take it anyways.

Just now, TENINCH said:

It's hard for me to trust a vaccine they say 95% effective now when the flu vaccine is only 40% effective and has been around for 80 years. I'll let everyone else take it first. I'm on chemo so my doctor wouldn't advise me to take it anyways.

The virus itself dictates more of the effectiveness of the vaccine, not the science behind the vaccine from what I understand.

Very sorry to hear about that as well so I bet this **** is even worse for you knowing how much worse it could be it you contract it. I hope you make it through everything quickly and w/ good results!

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There are 3 million teachers and while I can't find a total, I'll say Walmart employees would account for about half and there are 2.5 million of them. So let's say a total of 8 million teachers and grocery store workers.

c7NJRa2.gif

Yeah this is probably the answer.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

My guess is though, a lot will reject it. I honestly cannot understand the amount of healthcare workers I'm aware of that will refuse this vaccine. You have to think that if they are going to refuse it, I'm willing to bet a lot of other people will be as well and probably more if not in a profession constantly exposed to it.

I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say that a higher percentage of health care workers will refuse it than non-medical oriented fields.  Just because there are those who took a few introductory virology classes in med school/college and now know "too much".

I on the hand know nothing, so i'm trusting the experts and will just take it.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, Deadpulse said:

I want to preface this by saying I am looking for an actual discourse.

Can someone who plans on NOT getting the vaccine when it's released explain to me why they came to that decision? I was reading about a poll that said about 20% of Americans think it was rushed and unsafe and another 20% just wanted to wait for to make sure it was safe. 

My stance is that if Fauci, science, and the experts trust it then why  shouldn't I?

I can chime in.  I am not anti vaccine, but I just don't feel I need it.  My age group, my health, etc.  Same reason why I do not get a flu shot, just do not feel I need it.  I am not anti-science and I think people who are at risk, live with at risk, or are generally worried should 100% get it and it will be a safe vaccine.  I know my parents will likely get it, my sister will (high risk), my brothers will be somewhat mixed bag and my wife will essentially be forced to get it (but same boat as me, doesn't feel the need to get it but for her job different circumstance). 

I am a numbers kind of guy, at the end of the day, I view my risk of getting seriously ill from COVID the same as my risk of having seriously side effects from the vaccine...neither are worrisome to me so I just lean towards not getting something if I don't need it. 

On 12/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Joe Biden asking the country to wear masks for his first 100 days in office is another sign that "normal" is going to come back around summer.

You are quite optimist.  50% of the country telling him to pound sand is a sign that the vaccine is the fastest way to get back to normal.  I imagine a large majority of the "will not wear mask crowd" will get vaccines in secrecy. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:06 AM, minutemancl said:

Same here in NJ. Nobody is disagreeing with who is getting the first doses, but who gets that 2nd wave of vaccines is going to be nasty. Of course there are the rumors that wall street traders are first in line for that batch, which would be insane. My vote is for grocery store workers and other healthcare related professions that weren't part of the first rollout.

I heard Fauci say something along the lines of a lot of people are looking at first dose in April, 2nd in May, meaning a masked, but open and active summer. Anyone else hear that?

First of all, LOL. 

Simple solution to this. 

Workers in charge of distribution/production/purchase of daily essentials = next in line

Workers forced to work (non medical fields and non essential services/items) = next in line

Rest of America on as needed basis.