Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You mean the Governor? Who constantly goes against his own rules any chance he gets? Then offers a fake apology every time he gets caught. Opens up winery's and restaurants for his own personal use... haven’t met a single person who likes him here in Cali, no matter their politics, and the recall efforts are basically 50/50 at this point. Sorry don’t mean to bring up politics, he’s just one of the reasons this state has gone to **** which is the topic we were on. It’s unfortunate but is what it is. 

why do members say this, AS they are discussing their political bent?

this thread has been locked at least twice in the past for members dropping in to political rants. can't you see that?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

California can do whatever they want as long as they keep handing me oodles of money for sitting on my butt all year. Everyone hear crapping on it with a 401k should count their blessings - big tech is the only reason the S&P 500 isn't in the gutter.

In summary, CA probably has as many pros and cons as any other state. But we’re all connected, for better or worse. If one of us fails, it has a ripple effect on the others. There’s an NFL football reference in there somewhere 😂

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Sorry don’t mean to bring up politics

Here is a warning for your rule violation.   Politics are not allowed on the forum and purposely violating the rules and then saying "sorry" is about as blatant as it gets.  

34 minutes ago, Xenos said:

So does anyone know the answer to the 32%?

Don't know, but i suspect just like with anything, these things take time.  Need the nurses to give them, and the people have to wait in line for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Don't know, but i suspect just like with anything, these things take time.  Need the nurses to give them, and the people have to wait in line for them.

Also, shipping them takes time, transporting them to locations, the fact it needs to be stored so cold means they don't want to be constantly opening and closing storage, holidays, and probably 2000 other things.

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-moderna-idUSKBN2980NW

U.S. may cut some Moderna vaccine doses in half to speed rollout, official says

“We know that for the Moderna vaccine, giving half of the dose to people between the ages of 18 and 55, two doses, half the dose, which means exactly achieving the objective of immunizing double the number of people with the doses we have,” Slaoui said.

“We know it induces identical immune response” to the full dose, he added.

------

Very interesting. Apparently if you're between 18 and 55, getting half the dose is the same as getting a full dose. Why tf haven't we been doing this in the first place??

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

On 1/1/2021 at 4:53 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

So at my work one of my coworkers came into work knowing his wife was positive. He had a bad cough, coughed all over everything and now we have 5 people out of the office including me, I don't have any symptoms but my GF just tested positive and I'm pretty sure I'm the one that brought it home. She works from home and doesn't really go anywhere. 

I'm so mad at this idiot. I can't remember what the exact dates were but the dude came into the office saying how sick he was, came into my office wanting a high five like a moron...I was like...you need to leave and go home. Wasn't until a few days later everyone found out he tested positive for Covid. And that's not even the worse part....his wife tested positive before he did and they both got on a plane and flew to Vegas KNOWING she was positive. 

Some people's kids

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

“We know that for the Moderna vaccine, giving half of the dose to people between the ages of 18 and 55, two doses, half the dose, which means exactly achieving the objective of immunizing double the number of people with the doses we have,” Slaoui said.

------

Very interesting. Apparently if you're between 18 and 55, getting half the dose is the same as getting a full dose. Why tf haven't we been doing this in the first place??

Why haven’t we been doing this originally? As with anything Covid related, we’re learning as we go.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

------

Because this wasn’t tested during phase 3 trials. The FDA is highly unlikely to approve it until it is. 

...Using a single dose regimen and/or administering less than the dose studied in the clinical trials without understanding the nature of the depth and duration of protection that it provides is concerning, as there is some indication that the depth of the immune response is associated with the duration of protection provided. If people do not truly know how protective a vaccine is, there is the potential for harm because they may assume that they are fully protected when they are not, and accordingly, alter their behavior to take unnecessary risks.

We know that some of these discussions about changing the dosing schedule or dose are based on a belief that changing the dose or dosing schedule can help get more vaccine to the public faster. However, making such changes that are not supported by adequate scientific evidence may ultimately be counterproductive to public health...

FDA press release

Slaoui and other proponents are pushing phase 2 data I believe. Seems like the Op Warp Speed crew is trying to save face after falling incredibly short of their vaccination projection.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

Why haven’t we been doing this originally? As with anything Covid related, we’re learning as we go.

I think we will, but keep in mind the change will be slower than you'd like. We talked about this when the Phase 1 Pfizer/Moderna results came out, but when the FDA/OECD/MHRA approve a drug, they don't just blanket say "the Moderna vaccine is safe go nuts". They approve a specific regimen at a specific dose level to a specific population. So they applied for, and were granted an exception to give 2 doses, 28 days apart. We would need a separate approval for a single dose, just like we would need a separate approval if they wanted to dose pregnant women or children. There's no reason we couldn't get that now, but there's a lot of machinery that will have to grind out that change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Because this wasn’t tested during phase 3 trials. The FDA is highly unlikely to approve it until it is. 

FDA press release

Slaoui and other proponents are pushing phase 2 data I believe. Seems like the Op Warp Speed crew is trying to save face after falling incredibly short of their vaccination projection.

Well as you eluded to, we have the phase two data to support this being ok so hopefully it is and they get on board. I don't care who's trying to do what with this motivation but if we can vaccinate that group of people faster, let's do it.