Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

On 12/27/2020 at 1:37 PM, Xenos said:

So I had a hypothetical question. Let’s say a hospital receives 20K in Pfizer vaccine doses. Does it just vaccinate 10k people, and hold on to the remaining 10K doses so that you are assured a second shot when it is time? Or does 20k vaccine doses get used, and you hope that you get the second dosages on time?

Just curious about how this is done given the current supply chain issue. Are there any recommendations from Pfizer or the FDA?

So I guess this sort of answers my question. I guess the previous administration was holding doses back to ensure that there would be enough for the second shot. Biden is taking the opposite approach and is trying to disperse everything at once so that it could reach more people but also because the government will be more involved this time. Yeah, I don’t know what I would do. I’m extremely risk adverse and probably would hold back too. But I also don’t have all the levers of the federal government.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-ap-top-news-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-f7bb372f73a4f204ec540d39a4409e18

Biden’s plan is not about cutting two-dose vaccines in half, a strategy that top government scientists recommend against. Instead, it would accelerate shipment of first doses and use the levers of government power to provide required second doses in a timely manner.

The Trump administration has been holding back millions of doses of vaccine to guarantee that people can get a second shot, which provides maximum protection against COVID-19. It’s seen as a prudent approach, since both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines require a second shot after the first vaccination. 

But a recent scientific analysis in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine estimated that a “flexible” approach roughly analogous to what Biden is talking about could avert an additional 23% to 29% of COVID-19 cases when compared to the “fixed” strategy the Trump administration is following. That’s assuming a steady supply of vaccine.

After a glow of hope when the first vaccines were approved last month, the nation’s inoculation campaign has gotten off to a slow start. Of 21.4 million doses distributed, about 5.9 million have been administered, or just under 28%, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The dumbest thing about the idea of holding half the doses is that it seems to imply that Pfizer and Moderna simply sent out a first batch of vaccines and won't make any more?

Like why would anyone be holding out with the vaccines? Immediately give them to anyone that requests one.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

The dumbest thing about the idea of holding half the doses is that it seems to imply that Pfizer and Moderna simply sent out a first batch of vaccines and won't make any more?

Like why would anyone be holding out with the vaccines? Immediately give them to anyone that requests one.

Because these vaccines are made in huge batches that take a long time to make. So if the batch fails, there could be a relatively long period where Pfizer/Moderna has a plant producing zero useable vaccine.

I agree half the doses is too conservative, but a 10% reserve means we risk not giving people the second dose with a few missed batches. Until we demonstrate that we can keep making these consistently, I think an emergency fund is a good idea. Maybe somewhere in the 15-25% range? We don't know precisely the impact of that second dose, but clearly running out of vaccine and having to postpone a second dose for people would be a situation we'd like to avoid. Plus we'll want to make sure there are small reserves for new hires in essential workforce spots like hospitals and nursing homes and whatnot, or for anyone in those positions who didn't get it right away out of personal concern but now want to.

• Like 4

Might not be free:

UK approves anti-inflammatory drugs to treat sickest covid-19 patients after strong results in clinical trial

British regulators cited the new results as they promptly approved the two drugs, tocilizumab and sarilumab, for use in patients in intensive care units. The relative risk of death was reduced by 24 percent when given to people within 24 hours of admission, the data showed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/08/covid-arthritis-drugs-treatment/

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because these vaccines are made in huge batches that take a long time to make. So if the batch fails, there could be a relatively long period where Pfizer/Moderna has a plant producing zero useable vaccine.

I agree half the doses is too conservative, but a 10% reserve means we risk not giving people the second dose with a few missed batches. Until we demonstrate that we can keep making these consistently, I think an emergency fund is a good idea. Maybe somewhere in the 15-25% range? We don't know precisely the impact of that second dose, but clearly running out of vaccine and having to postpone a second dose for people would be a situation we'd like to avoid. Plus we'll want to make sure there are small reserves for new hires in essential workforce spots like hospitals and nursing homes and whatnot, or for anyone in those positions who didn't get it right away out of personal concern but now want to.

15 to 25% reserves sound like a nice middle ground.

@Xenos, this is the same dude who claimed COVID-19 was created in a lab.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7144200/

Here is his paper in regards to what he is talking about in the video:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7142689/

His theory is unsubstantiated and there is no evidence in any of the testing of anything he is talking about. IMO he is throwing big words at people to sow fear and since this was October, his statements are very out of date. His theories were wrong. 

He also kept condemning the politicization of COVID-19 and the healthcare around it but kept bringing up political interests - like saying COVID-19 would not be an issue after the election suggesting that its NBD and only being used as election ploy. Meanwhile, over 300,000 are dead and hospitals are turning people away basically saying "Sorry, your probably gonna die anyways" because they are stretched so thin. 

I mean, in an attempt not to rant, this dude uses loose science without substantiated evidence to push a political agenda and poorly tries to hide it under public health concerns. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

@Xenos, this is the same dude who claimed COVID-19 was created in a lab.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7144200/

Here is his paper in regards to what he is talking about in the video:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7142689/

His theory is unsubstantiated and there is no evidence in any of the testing of anything he is talking about. IMO he is throwing big words at people to sow fear and since this was October, his statements are very out of date. His theories were wrong. 

He also kept condemning the politicization of COVID-19 and the healthcare around it but kept bringing up political interests - like saying COVID-19 would not be an issue after the election suggesting that its NBD and only being used as election ploy. Meanwhile, over 300,000 are dead and hospitals are turning people away basically saying "Sorry, your probably gonna die anyways" because they are stretched so thin. 

I mean, in an attempt not to rant, this dude uses loose science without substantiated evidence to push a political agenda and poorly tries to hide it under public health concerns. 

Thanks! I realize what it was going to be when I heard his rant. But in the interest of not alienating my friend, I wanted to address the “science” of what he was talking about aka the pathogenic priming. The “doctor” also sounds like an antivaxxer given his statements at end about the real number of general vaccine injuries.

Well, it looks like my wife and I will both be quarantining for the next 14 days. We were  both notified today through the CA Notify app on our phones (at different time intervals) that we were potentially exposed to someone who tested positive. It was weird since we were both together only at home. It means we both got potentially exposed by two separate people at different places. A giant coincidence lol. The only other explanation is if our neighbors above us tested positive but there’s no way that the Bluetooth could connect through walls and bigger than 6 feet apart vertically right?

16 hours ago, Xenos said:

Well, it looks like my wife and I will both be quarantining for the next 14 days. We were  both notified today through the CA Notify app on our phones (at different time intervals) that we were potentially exposed to someone who tested positive. It was weird since we were both together only at home. It means we both got potentially exposed by two separate people at different places. A giant coincidence lol. The only other explanation is if our neighbors above us tested positive but there’s no way that the Bluetooth could connect through walls and bigger than 6 feet apart vertically right?

Hope you guys stay healthy.

• Like 2

https://archive.vn/pTnlk

J&J in 'final stages' of analyzing trial results for its one-dose COVID vaccine

----------

This is the big one that will get people vaccinated at the rate we need. Trial data is going to be released for their South Africa trial by the 21st. If it looks good, no reason to not be optimistic about it being good here which we'll find out soon after. Hopefully by the end of February, people are being jabbed with this. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://archive.vn/pTnlk

J&J in 'final stages' of analyzing trial results for its one-dose COVID vaccine

----------

This is the big one that will get people vaccinated at the rate we need. Trial data is going to be released for their South Africa trial by the 21st. If it looks good, no reason to not be optimistic about it being good here which we'll find out soon after. Hopefully by the end of February, people are being jabbed with this. 

Yeah I stated a while ago on this thread that this one was going to be the one that eventually comes out on top. The rest are showing good results but a one dose, high efficacy vaccine will always be the option everyone chooses. 

Not to mention, the US government hand picked them to be their main vaccine producer alongside AZ. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Yeah I stated a while ago on this thread that this one was going to be the one that eventually comes out on top. The rest are showing good results but a one dose, high efficacy vaccine will always be the option everyone chooses. 

Not to mention, the US government hand picked them to be their main vaccine producer alongside AZ. 

Let's hope the efficacy data says it's high. But yeah, if they start rolling through this starting next month, spring will be very, very welcomed for more than it's standard reasons. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 5:18 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Pfizer CEO seems optimistic they can keep up with demand. Hopefully that rings true, because it is a risky plan. I assume we really need J & J and Oxford to come through in the clutch if we want any chance of vaccinating a majority of the population by the end of spring, but I haven't viewed the numbers in a while.