Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

53 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

The Pfizer CEO seems optimistic they can keep up with demand. Hopefully that rings true, because it is a risky plan. I assume we really need J & J and Oxford to come through in the clutch if we want any chance of vaccinating a majority of the population by the end of spring, but I haven't viewed the numbers in a while.  

The more batches we make, the better idea we'll have about the success rate of each batch. That should give us a good idea of how much emergency reserves we'll need. The expectation is it would go down over time.

And if we get quick approval for a trial of a single dose regimen, in a few months we might not be talking about needing any reserve period.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The more batches we make, the better idea we'll have about the success rate of each batch. That should give us a good idea of how much emergency reserves we'll need. The expectation is it would go down over time.

And if we get quick approval for a trial of a single dose regimen, in a few months we might not be talking about needing any reserve period.

The logistics will always be the key IMO. Just like hospitals aren't staffed or equipped for a worldwide outbreak, neither are shipping companies. 

It looks like the new distribution strategy will happen now rather than later.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/azar-trump-administration-longer-hold-back-shots-recommend/story%3fid=75198254

The Trump administration will start releasing more doses of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines to states immediately instead of holding back the second dose, as Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said states should expand vaccinations to everyone age 65 and older, in an effort to get the vaccine to more people immediately.

Azar said the changes move the country to the next phase of the vaccine rollout, saying the administration is confident in the supply from manufacturers. He said states have received more doses than needed to vaccinate the groups meant to receive the first round of vaccines - health care workers and people in long term care facilities.

"This is just a staging, moving to the next phase on the vaccine program," Azar said. "We've had so much success with quality and predictable manufacturing and almost flawless distribution of the vaccine, but we have seen now that the administration in the states has been too narrowly focused," he said on ABC's "Good Morning America."
He went on to add that states should not be waiting until all health care workers and long-term care residents in Phase 1a are vaccinated to move on to other vulnerable populations, comparing it to not waiting until all members of a group are on an airplane before continuing to board other passengers. Azar said it will be easier to manage eligibility based on age as vaccinations expand to pharmacies and more sites.

Edited by Xenos

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Everybody 65 and older can get the vaccine now. It won't be overnight, but the intake rate for hospitals should start going down.

Baby steps.

I've heard a lot of optimism over the past day or so that vaccinations are rolling out much faster now, which is obviously very good. I'm finally starting to feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel?

In other news, even though I've been deemed 'mission critical' by the DOD and have been going into work throughout this entire pandemic, I may not be getting the vaccine in the same window as other essential workers, which kind of sucks.

This is the first preliminary data I've seen regarding the vaccine reducing transmission:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-data-shows-50-reduction-in-infections-14-days-after-first-vaccine-shot/

"Initial data from Israel’s vaccination campaign shows that Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine curbs infections by some 50 percent 14 days after the first of two shots is administered, a top Health Ministry official said Tuesday, as the country’s serious COVID-19 cases, daily infections and total active cases all reach all-time peaks."

"Israel’s largest health provider, the chance of a person being infected with the coronavirus dropped by 33% 14 days after they were vaccinated. Separate figures recorded by the Maccabi health provider and aired by Channel 12 showed the vaccine caused a 60% drop in the chances for infection 14 days after taking the first shot."

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

My wife, who works with COVID positive patients every day in a skilled nursing facility, is going to be told she is getting a pay cut today. Apparently, it may be up to about a 30% pay cut.

In my opinion, if they say she is going to be taking a 30% pay cut, she needs to put in her notice and try to find another job. The risk and effort she puts in there is not worth that level of pay and that level of disrespect.

Is there any sort of recourse or anything for situations like this? Because that is just disgusting.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

My wife, who works with COVID positive patients every day in a skilled nursing facility, is going to be told she is getting a pay cut today. Apparently, it may be up to about a 30% pay cut.

In my opinion, if they say she is going to be taking a 30% pay cut, she needs to put in her notice and try to find another job. The risk and effort she puts in there is not worth that level of pay and that level of disrespect.

Is there any sort of recourse or anything for situations like this? Because that is just disgusting.

Nurses are in extremely high demand right now. I'm sure she could find work quicker than she's ever found it before.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It is disgusting. She can get a better job if they’re going to pull that nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

TBH, nurses are never not in high demand

This is absolutely true but even more so now. If he can withstand not seeing her for a month and some change, she could make a very nice chunk of change for traveling to a hotspot for  a month or so where the demand is extremely high.

36 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Nurses are in extremely high demand right now. I'm sure she could find work quicker than she's ever found it before.

She is an OT, and it is absurdly competitive in our area to find an OT opening apparently. There are a ton of workers and a lot of jobs available, just more workers than jobs right now. She has a second job that she said she is thinking of just picking up more hours on for now.

• Like 1