Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So there is some potential resistance that L452R confers, but it's only on a few of 13 mAbs and it's not that strong of resistance either. 

i clicked on this thread a few minutes ago, got distracted, came back to tab, read this and asked myself "what am i even reading?!?" I was trying to figure out what scientific unit a mAbs was lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Got tested Monday morning after experiencing a symptom. Got the results that night and thankfully came back negative. Pretty efficient system and thankfully did the throat test rather than the nose one.

I didn't realize there were different testing methods. What was done with the throat test?

And glad it came back negative

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I didn't realize there were different testing methods. What was done with the throat test?

And glad it came back negative

Pretty much just a long Q-tip that swabbed the back of my throat next to the tonsils. I don't know the science or anything behind it but have heard the nose one is super uncomfortable. Pretty much got the results like 8 hours later which I was super impressed with.

I am also living in Canada so I don't know how much it differs than the US.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:25 PM, Deadpulse said:

asymptomatic so far?

I just moved to Maine TODAY and I am takin over the Portland office on Monday and I am kind of terrified of getting COVID in a new place. I feel like I don't know the safe zones. 

Flip side of that is that Maine considers my position, while completely administrative and business development albeit in the healthcare business, a candidate for the vaccine. So I am on the list to get that as soon as doses come available which is oodles sooner than I expected to get it.  

Welcome to Maine and Portland DP. If you need any restaurant or bar recs hit me up (for when stuff normalizes).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is this over yet?

In my opinion, the worst of it is.

Vaccine distribution has started off slow, but we're at ~900k doses/day now. Case rates are slowly falling. Progress is going to be bumpy, but there is progress.

EsNsGmZVEAY00XM.jpg

There might be some issues with new variants causing a slower drop in cases, or maybe even a local spike, but we've taken COVID's best punch.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is this over yet?

Looks like numbers around the country are decreasing or will be decreasing by a large number soon. 7 day averages are down almost everywhere. I keep seeing a lot of local news articles that hospitalizations are down everywhere in my area also. We can expect more of this as the elderly continue to get their vaccines. 

J&J hopefully being available next month will only speed everything up as well. 

It may never be "over" but it will be manageable soon

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Looks like numbers around the country are decreasing or will be decreasing by a large number soon. 7 day averages are down almost everywhere. I keep seeing a lot of local news articles that hospitalizations are down everywhere in my area also. We can expect more of this as the elderly continue to get their vaccines. 

J&J hopefully being available next month will only speed everything up as well. 

It may never be "over" but it will be manageable soon

I also wonder how much of this is because we are now out of the Christmas/New Years gatherings as well.  In the restaurant and retail industry, this week is the official start of slow season, especially in the northeast.  Everyone's bank accounts now need to recover from Christmas, and gift cards are now spent and folks just want to get home and out of the cold with no shopping or anything to do.  Either way I am happy with cases decreasing, but that's got to play a factor.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I also wonder how much of this is because we are now out of the Christmas/New Years gatherings as well.  In the restaurant and retail industry, this week is the official start of slow season, especially in the northeast.  Everyone's bank accounts now need to recover from Christmas, and gift cards are now spent and folks just want to get home and out of the cold with no shopping or anything to do.  Either way I am happy with cases decreasing, but that's got to play a factor.  

Yep! I remember working in the industry and hated this time of the year lol. From what I've read, the holiday surge wasn't as bad as they expected (maybe it was a local article though so please don't take my word on it). The good news is we don't really have any crazy holidays coming up. I heard they canceled Mardi Gras but other areas will still certainly celebrate. One thing I'm shocked about is Alabama hasn't seemingly seen a surge since the NC game which was 10 days ago.

https://rt.live/us/AL

Maybe they've reached some kind of herd immunity? The streets were PACKED on campus from the images I saw. Not a huge surge in cases from the rednecks at the Capitol building as well (from what the data suggests) that you know the media was gushing at the opportunity to blame them also.

Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras, and St Paddy's Day are the next "super spreader" events (not so much VDay but restaurants will be busy - not at much group gatherings) and I feel if we make it through those, we are probably good to go.... well, and spring break.........

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

45 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is it safe to play basketball with a mask on?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/playing-sports.html

I don't think that's a yes or no question, which is part of why the initial sports lockdown was tighter than it needed to be, but there are the CDC guidelines for how to make playing sports as safe as possible.

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/playing-sports.html

I don't think that's a yes or no question, which is part of why the initial sports lockdown was tighter than it needed to be, but there are the CDC guidelines for how to make playing sports as safe as possible.

Is there any actual studies on it besides them saying just wear a mask you'll be fine? Seems pretty ****ty to make kids be the guinny pigs of that's the case.  At least wrestlers don't have to wear them but heaven forbid they shake hands after rolling around on the mat for 6 minutes. 

I just feel bad for the kids that will be wearing these things 10-12 hours a day