Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

45 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there any actual studies on it besides them saying just wear a mask you'll be fine? Seems pretty ****ty to make kids be the guinny pigs of that's the case.  At least wrestlers don't have to wear them but heaven forbid they shake hands after rolling around on the mat for 6 minutes. 

I just feel bad for the kids that will be wearing these things 10-12 hours a day

Beyond the testing of masks in a lab setting that we could extrapolate to basketball, no. What we have are directional guidance; a list of things you can do to try and make yourself more safe.

Hopefully from there people can take the general guidance and apply it to their specific situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In my opinion, the worst of it is.

Vaccine distribution has started off slow, but we're at ~900k doses/day now. Case rates are slowly falling. Progress is going to be bumpy, but there is progress.

EsNsGmZVEAY00XM.jpg

There might be some issues with new variants causing a slower drop in cases, or maybe even a local spike, but we've taken COVID's best punch.

Certainly seems that way. We got hit mildly hard in the spring in my area. We then got absolutely creamed in the fall and winter. Now, we're finally seeing the tides turning in this war. We've peaked, and warm and humid weather cannot be attributed to this turn around compared to last spring. It's either human behavior or the virus is running out of bodies to infect. Hopefully it's the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If anybody wants to do some night time reading, there's the plan for getting this vaccine out.

200 pages...hmmm...can you please summarize in Haiku format ? ( i can't)

vaccine awaits us
  hero nurses act on global stage
  They always "stick" the landing

• Like 2

A new variant could increase reinfection chances. Well that’s annoying.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/01/21/958953434/reinfections-more-likely-with-new-coronavirus-variants-evidence-suggests

Last week, scientists in Brazil detected a new genetic variant of the coronavirus that has been circulating in Manaus since at least December and is likely fueling the second surge. Called P1, the variant has a set of about 20 mutations, including three mutations that are particularly concerning. These mutations could make the virus more infectious and could possibly decrease the efficacy of vaccines against the variant.

There's growing evidence that new genetic variants of the coronavirus — specifically, the ones circulating in South Africa and around Manaus, Brazil — may be capable of evading the body's immune system. Both variants have three of the same mutations in the region of the virus that binds to human cells and to some antibodies (specifically, K417N, E484K and N501Y). The mutations decrease some antibodies' ability to recognize and neutralize the virus, a team of scientists reported Tuesday in a study on the South African variant. Specifically, the scientists looked at whether the variant from South Africa could be neutralized by blood plasma, which contains antibodies, taken from people who had been infected with older versions of the virus. In 21 of the 44 samples, the new variant was resistant to neutralization by the plasma serum.

And thus, mutations in these new variants could make it easier for some people to get COVID-19 a second time, says virologist Ravi Gupta at the University of Cambridge. "We know that you can get reinfected even with the same version of the virus," he says. The mutations could put even more of a dent in the barrier of resistance.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

#vaccine

got my 2nd dose of the pfizer vaccine tonight.  

I will post a few updates if I have any noteworthy symptoms.  

So far, I do not feel my DNA being altered in case anyone was buying that conspiracy theory.

You will let us know if you develop a Spidey sense right?

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

#vaccine

got my 2nd dose of the pfizer vaccine tonight.  

I will post a few updates if I have any noteworthy symptoms.  

So far, I do not feel my DNA being altered in case anyone was buying that conspiracy theory.

I talked to someone that got pretty sick from the 2nd shot.  He was fine a few hours after it

Is it worse if you get the vaccine shortly after having covid? 

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I talked to someone that got pretty sick from the 2nd shot.  He was fine a few hours after it

similar things with co workers.  few hours of some symptoms.   Also heard that the shorter time between the 1st and 2nd dose might be a reason for more symptoms.    I am 27 days between 1st and 2nd.

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is it worse if you get the vaccine shortly after having covid? 

no idea.  

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

similar things with co workers.  few hours of some symptoms.   Also heard that the shorter time between the 1st and 2nd dose might be a reason for more symptoms.    I am 27 days between 1st and 2nd.

no idea.  

I meant he was fine for a few hours but then he was sick for a week.  They thought that he probably recently had covid