Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I talked to someone that got pretty sick from the 2nd shot.  He was fine a few hours after it

Is it worse if you get the vaccine shortly after having covid? 

My hospital protocol:

If you've been infected with COVID you'll have to wait three months before you can get the vaccine. If you're infected with COVID in between doses, you'll have to wait 10 days before getting your second dose. I dont think there's any data on how much worse the side effects are from the vaccine if youve been infected with COVID.

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

My hospital protocol:

If you've been infected with COVID you'll have to wait three months before you can get the vaccine. If you're infected with COVID in between doses, you'll have to wait 10 days before getting your second dose. I dont think there's any data on how much worse the side effects are from the vaccine if youve been infected with COVID.

People who have successfully recovered from covid should absolutely be pushed to the back of the line IMO. I hope all people are following this b/c it makes total sense to.

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/National-Strategy-for-the-COVID-19-Response-and-Pandemic-Preparedness.pdf

If anybody wants to do some night time reading, there's the plan for getting this vaccine out.

As @Shanedorf said- could you provide a brief summary? I'm typically game to read an article, but 200 pages is too much for my ADD mind. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any knowledge on how well the military would be able to help out with the logistics of vaccinations? My dad, who was in the army, believes they could be a great asset, but I have to admit- he planted bombs and crap throughout his tenure in the army, which was 35 years ago- so I have to believe he doesn't have a crazy amount of inside knowledge on how effective the military would be in that regard. 

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

My hospital protocol:

So there is probably quite a few people getting the shots that didn't know they had covid? Are you seeing many side effects that last more than a few hours?

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Does anyone have any knowledge on how well the military would be able to help out with the logistics of vaccinations? My dad, who was in the army, believes they could be a great asset, but I have to admit- he planted bombs and crap throughout his tenure in the army, which was 35 years ago- so I have to believe he doesn't have a crazy amount of inside knowledge on how effective the military would be in that regard. 

Are they not helping?

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Are they not helping?

I believe some states are using the National Guard, but I'm thinking on a much bigger scale where the federal gov't and states are able to coordinate the military and National Guard to help with any logistical issues we face. I'm not very well informed on what's going on in that regard. Would love to hear from someone who has more knowledge than me in that area.  

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So there is probably quite a few people getting the shots that didn't know they had covid? Are you seeing many side effects that last more than a few hours?

Well, one nurse who is immune comprised (Psoriatic Arthritis) had a pretty bad flare up likely due to the vaccine. She's going to avoid the second dose since her doctor cannot guarantee the next dose wouldn't be any worse. She's been dealing with swollen fingers and pain for a few weeks now. Hopefully it's not long term, because she made it sound like there's no reversing the damage done. That being said, She and her doctor both have said that COVID would've likely done way more damage to her. Unfortunately, she just can't risk a worse adverse reaction, so she needs to hope that one dose of Moderna will provide her adequate protection and lay-low until the virus slows down.

Other than that, everyone I've talked to seems to range from only a sore arm to "holy ****, I feel f***ed up". One nurse had a temperature of 103 for a day. I'm not sure what the odds are of having a light reaction or a tough reaction, but it seems the harsher side effect subside within 48 hours.

It seems those who are immune compromised or have severe allergies will need to talk with their doctors to make the best informed choice, which sucks because those who have compromised immune system would likely fair far worse if they were infected by COVID rather than injected by the vaccine. Laying low and waiting for OXford and J&J's vaccine may be the better route for some, but again- that's a decision they'll have to make on their own with the guidance of their doctor. 

9 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Well, one nurse who is immune comprised (Psoriatic Arthritis) had a pretty bad flare up likely due to the vaccine. She's going to avoid the second dose since her doctor cannot guarantee the next dose wouldn't be any worse. She's been dealing with swollen fingers and pain for a few weeks now. Hopefully it's not long term, because she made it sound like there's no reversing the damage done. That being said, She and her doctor both have said that COVID would've likely done way more damage to her. Unfortunately, she just can't risk a worse adverse reaction, so she needs to hope that one dose of Moderna will provide her adequate protection and lay-low until the virus slows down.

Other than that, everyone I've talked to seems to range from only a sore arm to "holy ****, I feel f***ed up". One nurse had a temperature of 103 for a day. I'm not sure what the odds are of having a light reaction or a tough reaction, but it seems the harsher side effect subside within 48 hours.

It seems those who are immune compromised or have severe allergies will need to talk with their doctors to make the best informed choice, which sucks because those who have compromised immune system would likely fair far worse if they were infected by COVID rather than injected by the vaccine. Laying low and waiting for OXford and J&J's vaccine may be the better route for some, but again- that's a decision they'll have to make on their own with the guidance of their doctor. 

With these kinds of reactions it'd be nice if people could make up their own mind on whether to take it

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

With these kinds of reactions it'd be nice if people could make up their own mind on whether to take it

They should be able to. Immune compromised people/ those with severe allergies will likely be able get a doctors not to avoid vaccination if their company requires it or to travel. They may need to continue wearing a mask, though. 

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

They should be able to. Immune compromised people/ those with severe allergies will likely be able get a doctors not to avoid vaccination if their company requires it or to travel. They may need to continue wearing a mask, though. 

That's still only certain people that will have the choice

33 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I may or may not have had it, but did get the vaccine before an AB test and only had a sore arm. n=1, but there ya go.

• Like 2